Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Langley, Draper of Button Lane in White's 1837 Directory

Many years ago you helped me with my Langley/Milner relations.
I now would like to know if you have any apprentice ship records for drapers or if you have any bankruptcy/insolvency records around 1837.

In the last few days I have learnt a lot about the family of John Langley. He was born in 1797 to Larret and Betty Langley of Wentworth. In fact his baptism in January 1798 says his father was gamekeeper to Earl FitzWilliam. It also gives the grandparents names and where they lived! He had a brother Larret born around 1801. This Larret was transported for 15 years in 1839/40 for forgery in 1837. He was a highly educated man, a schoolmaster who ran Brampton Academy. He wrote several books on the Anglo Saxons, Rhetoric and Botany. He was a fellow of the Linnaean Society. I found his father was made the Earl's gamekeeper in 1783 and carried on at least until 1814ish.

In 1837 my John sold his drapery business in Button Lane, Sheffield. I know this because he was charged with fraud sent to Wakefield Quarter Sessions and then to York where he was found not guilty. This all comes from newspaper reports. He said he sold the business to help his brother Larret but Larret said he forged a note to help his brother (presumably John)!

Also I wonder whether anyone knows if Larret Langley the brother had anything to do with the running of the Sheffield Iris. He certainly contributed to it.

Larret was granted a pardon in 1844 (due news reports said to the efforts of a nobleman of very high rank who had known him since boyhood(the Earl?) but died after a long lingering illness in 1849 in Hobart,Australia where he had set up the Wentworth Academy.

Re: John Langley, Draper of Button Lane in White's 1837 Directory

Hi Joan,

I have never heard any apprentices for drapers. Tailors yes but drapers No.

Could this be your John... (Father)

Langley, John (of Sheffield, born 1824-07-19).
Baptised August 8, 1824, by W H Bull at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Elizabeth & John (Tailor).

Have you tried Sheffield Archives for the Bankruptcy etc records?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello

There do seem to have been drapers' apprentices. In the 1841 census, John ATKINSON, draper of Angel Street, Sheffield, is shown with three journeymen and seven apprentices (at least I think that's what the abbreviation means), one of whom is "my" Alfred DICKINSON. I have not found a record of this apprenticeship though.

For what it's worth.

Judith in France

Thanks. 2(Is there a bankruptcy or insolvency register in Sheffield Indexers then?

That is not my John. He was definitely the one baptised 1797 in Wentworth.

Hi Joan,

The baptism I posted was meant to show you the possibility that his father, also a John was a tailor. Was you Johns wife called Elizabeth?

Material for Sheffield will be at Sheffield Archives. I do not know what they hold as far as bankruptcies are concerned.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks. His first wife was Sarah. She died in 1837 along with her baby Eliza, both deaths recorded in St Georges Brook Hill registers when John, whose Drapery Business was in Button Lane, was living in Bowden Street although I can't seem to find Eliza or Sarah in these indexes. Everything went down hill for John Langley. He sold his Drapery business on 1837, supposedly to help his brother and was penniless by 1840 and had up for fraud but aquitted. He had a daughter Sarah Ann by this marriage b. 1835

His second wife was Ann Teal. She was my ancestor.

Hi Joan, I came upon your messages indicating your interest in the two brothers John and Larret Langley. I too am interested, but in Larret. We may well be able to help each other. Many years ago I posted a message on the Australian site and now have noticed your response. I would welcome the opportunity to meet to discuss. I am about 12 miles outside Sheffield. Please indicate how that might be possible.

I only just found your reply. I'm not surprised you are interested in Larret. I will email you.

Hi,

This conversation popped up on a google search I've done into Larret Langley. I would love any information anyone has as I'm living in the old Brampton Academy, where he was headmaster before his 'forgery' scandal! The history of this house is fascinating.

Thanks,

Louise