Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Forum: Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Sellars / Slack Marriage 1860 Sheffield

Hi everyone

I am trying to find the Fathers name of William Sellars Born Abt 1835 In Rotherham, I have found his marriage to Harriet Slack in 1860 - Sheffield, but am unable to find a record stating their parents - I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can help.

Thanks

Dawn

Re: Sellars / Slack Marriage 1860 Sheffield

I don't know whether you have seen it but Harriett is on 1851 census with her parents. John Slack age 36 born Dronfield and Mary age 36 born Attercliffe.They were living at Grimesthorpe, Sheffield.Also on the 1891 census William appears to have changed his name to George

Email  

Hi Dawn,

In the 1901 census, widow Harriet Sellars is living with her son Alfred and daughter Harriet Tomlinson and family at 6 Vine Street, Rotherham.

William Sellars aged 66, of 6 Vine Street, was buried on 7 Sep 1899 at Masbrough Cemetery, Rotherham. His parents are recorded as George and Ann.

Also at Masbrough Cemetery, Harriet Sellars aged 75 of 17 Providence Street, was buried 24 Sep 1915. Parents John and Mary.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

Quote: muriel hoyland
I don't know whether you have seen it but Harriett is on 1851 census with her parents. John Slack age 36 born Dronfield and Mary age 36 born Attercliffe.They were living at Grimesthorpe, Sheffield.Also on the 1891 census William appears to have changed his name to George

Hi Muriel, im sorry I have only just seen this thread, whilst posting a new one, im not sure why I did not receive a notification, so will check all, yes I have also seen the change of name, and cant understand why, and the family don't seem to know why either. I will check to see if I have the 1851 census saved, thanks for your help.

Since this message I purchased the Marriage Cert for William and Harriet Slack 30 May 1860 and it shows that Williams father was George Sellars and from another thread someone has posted his death 1899 in Rotherham showing parents were George and Ann Sellars, so something more to go on, I know they had 4 children, Alfred Sellars being my Great Grandad 1880 - my mum remembers the sister Harriet Sellars 1875 who Married Fred Tomlinson, but does not remember anything about his brothers George 1863 and William 1866, maybe they died in the war. Any help is greatly appreciated ;) x

Email  

Quote: Sellars / Slack
Hi everyone

I am trying to find the Fathers name of William Sellars Born Abt 1835 In Rotherham, I have found his marriage to Harriet Slack in 1860 - Sheffield, but am unable to find a record stating their parents - I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can help.

Thanks

Dawn

Hi Dawn have you tried using the 1841 census index over to your left
I think you will find William there.

Not only did we transcribe Sheffield but also Rotherham and area so all should be there.

The 1841 census is the last point of reference prior to you starting to use Parish Registers so it is important to see the 1841 census info.

I see others have helped with the burials and you now have the marriage certificate so you are proving as you go.

S&DFHS have two CD's available for purchase of marriages & baptisms that took Place at the Cathedral which was one of very few churches in Sheffield.

If you click on the photo of the Cathedral top left hand corner of this page
it will give you some idea of the make up of Sheffield re churches in the 1800's and earlier.

Our database is always being added to so if you also check what we have covered under Parish Records that will also help.

We at Sheffield Indexers are always here to help so never feel you have hit a brick wall as we are always here to help you get around it.

Kindest regards.
Elaine in Ottawa.

Email   Skype   Website

Hi Dawn, I have more burial records for your family, burials at Masbrough Cemetery, Rotherham.

George Sellars, bur 6 March 1901 aged 38, of 6 Vine Street. Son of William and Harriet. Miner.
William Sellars, bur 18 Dec 1909 aged 45, of 33 King Street. son of William and Harriet. Moulder.
Alfred Sellars, bur 17 March 1961 aged 81, of 44 King Street. OAP.
Emily Jane Sellars, bur 26 June 1964 aged 86, of 44 King Street. widow.
Wilfred Tomlinson bur 3 April 1902 aged 9 months, of 1 George Street. Son of Frederick & Harriett.
Albert Tomlinson bur 13 Oct 1905 aged 7, of 1 George Street. Son of Fred & Harriett.
Edith Tomlinson, bur 3 Feb 1915 aged 2, of 15 Providence Street. Daur of Fred & Harriett.
Fred Tomlinson bur 3 June 1942 aged 68, of 15 Providence Street.
Harriett Tomlinson, bur 22 June 1950 aged 74, of 15 Providence Street.

Best wishes, Patrick

Quote: Patrick
Hi Dawn, I have more burial records for your family, burials at Masbrough Cemetery, Rotherham.

George Sellars, bur 6 March 1901 aged 38, of 6 Vine Street. Son of William and Harriet. Miner.
William Sellars, bur 18 Dec 1909 aged 45, of 33 King Street. son of William and Harriet. Moulder.
Wilfred Tomlinson bur 3 April 1902 aged 9 months, of 1 George Street. Son of Frederick & Harriett.
Albert Tomlinson bur 13 Oct 1905 aged 7, of 1 George Street. Son of Fred & Harriett.
Edith Tomlinson, bur 3 Feb 1915 aged 2, of 15 Providence Street. Daur of Fred & Harriett.

Best wishes, Patrick

Hi Patrick, that is truly amazing and a huge help to my tree too - I cant believe you have found all that information - could I be cheeky and ask a favour, I have recently heard from family in Norway, they found me through this site, they visited me 4 weeks ago, and we tried to find all their part of the family whilst they were here, I found their g Grandfather in Burgreave Cemetery - but their G Grandmother re married, so is not in the same grave, while they were here I tried to trace her through Herringthorpe Crematorium, to no avail ;( Please could you see where she may be buried, as I could take a pic and send it to them, as they have now returned to Norway.

Harriet Elizabeth Warlow - Evans - Hardwick

Your great grand aunt
Birth Sep 1876 in Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Death Mar 1951 in Rotherham, Yorkshire West Riding, England

Daughter of John H Warlow and Margaret Hughes Warlow - any help would be greatly appreciated hun ;)

Email  

Best wishes, Patrick

Thanks Patrick, there are 2 more names there that I have added to my tree - thanx so much for you help ;) x

Email  

Quote: Elaine in Ottawa
Hi everyone

Thanks

Dawn

Hi Dawn have you tried using the 1841 census index over to your left
I think you will find William there.

Not only did we transcribe Sheffield but also Rotherham and area so all should be there.

The 1841 census is the last point of reference prior to you starting to use Parish Registers so it is important to see the 1841 census info.

I see others have helped with the burials and you now have the marriage certificate so you are proving as you go.

S&DFHS have two CD's available for purchase of marriages & baptisms that took Place at the Cathedral which was one of very few churches in Sheffield.

If you click on the photo of the Cathedral top left hand corner of this page
it will give you some idea of the make up of Sheffield re churches in the 1800's and earlier.

Our database is always being added to so if you also check what we have covered under Parish Records that will also help.

We at Sheffield Indexers are always here to help so never feel you have hit a brick wall as we are always here to help you get around it.

Kindest regards.
Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine, I have checked the 1841 census, and I cant see anything for my William, with what was provided with the burial info, he would have been born in 1833, it states on later census Scholes, but the family I know were in Masbro and Kimberworth, so I have checked for all areas and still nothing, I know his dad was George and I think a miner, and from the cemetery records shows father George mother Ann, but I haven't found a marriage for the parents as yet. I did find a census for 1841, but it was showing him being 15, and he would only be 8, but the parent names matched, in 1851, I also found a record, where it states he was a lodger in Greasbro, but still unsure of this record also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Email  

Hi Dawn,

The 1841 census I looked at was H0/1325/14
Thurgoland.
George Sellars aged 30 Coal Miner all born Yks.
Ann aged 25
William aged 11
Ameliah aged 6
George aged 5.

Does it say that William was a Moulder on the marriage certificate???

I think that there are two William Sellers around the same age one a Moulder and the other a Miner.

The 1861 census is when he & Harriet are living in Grimesthorpe.He's a Moulder on that census.Aged 26.

I am looking at Ancestry as I do not have any Rotherham FHS discs
Which is why I believe Patrick is having better luck.

Thats the best I an do I am afraid.....

Regards

Elaine in Ottawa.

Email   Skype   Website

Hi Dawn,

The 1841 census I looked at was H0/1325/14
Thurgoland.
George Sellars aged 30 Coal Miner all born Yks.
Ann aged 25
William aged 11
Ameliah aged 6
George aged 5.

Does it say that William was a Moulder on the marriage certificate???

I think that there are two William Sellers around the same age one a Moulder and the other a Miner.

The 1861 census is when he & Harriet are living in Grimesthorpe.He's a Moulder on that census.Aged 26.

I am looking at Ancestry as I do not have any Rotherham FHS discs
Which is why I believe Patrick is having better luck.

Thats the best I an do I am afraid.....

Regards

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

Someone has posted to me on Ancestry too, saying it maybe William Wade Sellars, parents George Sellars and Ann Wade, I don't have a maiden name really for my Ann, but this does look very promising. I cant find a definite Birth for William, to show the parents, then again they would be both called Sellars anyway ;( From the census information, his age goes anything from 1829 upto 1833, but with the burial record it would seem he was born in 1833 as it shows his age :( I am so confused now lol, This is very hard to try to go back any further than Ann and George Sellars, I don't have a actual age for them either, I just have George as been born around 1800 - any suggestions? ;) xxx

Email  

Hi everyone

Thanks

Dawn

Any easy way around this is for you to purchase the marriage certificate
for William and Harriet. This will give you the fathers names & occupations.
June qtr 1860 Sheffield 9c 505.

You can order on line with a Credit Card.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/#10

You need to prove as you go to make sure you have the right chap.
As I said in my earlier message I believe there are two Williams close in age
one with a father John and the other a George.
Occupations are very important when you have folks with common names.
Access to Census information is also a must.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Email   Skype   Website

Hi everyone

Thanks

Dawn

Any easy way around this is for you to purchase the marriage certificate
for William and Harriet. This will give you the fathers names & occupations.
June qtr 1860 Sheffield 9c 505.

You can order on line with a Credit Card.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/#10

You need to prove as you go to make sure you have the right chap.
As I said in my earlier message I believe there are two Williams close in age
one with a father John and the other a George.
Occupations are very important when you have folks with common names.
Access to Census information is also a must.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

I said in a earlier post, that I have purchased the Marriage Cert, it shows father is George Sellars, I think it said occupation Miner, but I would have to double check on that, as the record isn't to hand, as im having a lot of work done, so the records have been put away for safe keeping.

William is the son of George Sellars, born around 1800, and from Cemetery records, it shows Ann and George as his parents

Email  

Hi Dawn,

For me I would want to know for sure what it says on that marriage certificate it could have other clues on it.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Email   Skype   Website

Quote: Dawn Ingham
I have recently heard from family in Norway, they found me through this site, they visited me 4 weeks ago, and we tried to find all their part of the family whilst they were here, I found their g Grandfather in Burgreave Cemetery - but their G Grandmother re married, so is not in the same grave, while they were here I tried to trace her through Herringthorpe Crematorium, to no avail ;( Please could you see where she may be buried, as I could take a pic and send it to them, as they have now returned to Norway.

Your great grand aunt
Birth Sep 1876 in Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Death Mar 1951 in Rotherham, Yorkshire West Riding, England

Daughter of John H Warlow and Margaret Hughes Warlow - any help would be greatly appreciated hun ;)

Hi Dawn, sorry I don’t have burial details for Harriet Elizabeth but I will try to help if I can.

I see that in 1901, Harriett is living with husband Thomas David Evans in Burgoyne Road, Walkley, Sheffield; and also in 1901, Harriett’s parents John H and Margaret Warlow are living in Clough Road, Kimberworth, Rotherham.

In 1911, Harriett’s parents seem to be living apart. John H Warlow is living in Blackpool, whils’t Margaret is living with her sister Maria Roberts, still in Clough Road, Kimberworth.

The death of a John H Warlow aged 85, was registered in the Fylde district (which includes Blackpool) in 1932.

Margaret Warlow’s death at age 66, was registered in 1912 in Rotherham and I would guess that she was probably buried at St Thomas’ church, Kimberworth. It’s also possible that Harriett would have been buried there with her mother. I have a burial index for St Thomas, but it ends at 1903, so I think if you were to contact the Church Wardens at St Thomas, they may be able to help. I will send contact details to you by email.

Regards, Patrick

Quote: Dawn Ingham
I have recently heard from family in Norway, they found me through this site, they visited me 4 weeks ago, and we tried to find all their part of the family whilst they were here, I found their g Grandfather in Burgreave Cemetery - but their G Grandmother re married, so is not in the same grave, while they were here I tried to trace her through Herringthorpe Crematorium, to no avail ;( Please could you see where she may be buried, as I could take a pic and send it to them, as they have now returned to Norway.

Your great grand aunt

Hi Dawn, sorry I don’t have burial details for Harriet Elizabeth but I will try to help if I can.

I see that in 1901, Harriett is living with husband Thomas David Evans in Burgoyne Road, Walkley, Sheffield; and also in 1901, Harriett’s parents John H and Margaret Warlow are living in Clough Road, Kimberworth, Rotherham.

In 1911, Harriett’s parents seem to be living apart. John H Warlow is living in Blackpool, whils’t Margaret is living with her sister Maria Roberts, still in Clough Road, Kimberworth.

The death of a John H Warlow aged 85, was registered in the Fylde district (which includes Blackpool) in 1932.

Margaret Warlow’s death at age 66, was registered in 1912 in Rotherham and I would guess that she was probably buried at St Thomas’ church, Kimberworth. It’s also possible that Harriett would have been buried there with her mother. I have a burial index for St Thomas, but it ends at 1903, so I think if you were to contact the Church Wardens at St Thomas, they may be able to help. I will send contact details to you by email.

Regards, Patrick

Hi Patrick

Do you know all the information above took me around 2 year to find lol, I wish we had spoke earlier lol - Thanx hun ur a star ;) x

Email  

Dawn.

The burial registers for St Thomas are deposited with Sheffield archives from 1843-1979. They are not with the church.

Angela

Email  

Hi Angela, thank you for the info, I knew the registers are kept at Sheffield, but I wasn't aware that they go as far as 1979. Rotherham Archives have them on film and fiche, but only up to 1903.
I understand that churchyard plans and burial books are kept at the church, and that the wardens may be able to help relatives to locate burial plots.

Regards, Patrick

Email  

Hi Angela, thank you for the info, I knew the registers are kept at Sheffield, but I wasn't aware that they go as far as 1979. Rotherham Archives have them on film and fiche, but only up to 1903.
I understand that churchyard plans and burial books are kept at the church, and that the wardens may be able to help relatives to locate burial plots.

Regards, Patrick

Hi everyone

I have contacted the church wardens and am waiting their reply.

I am stuck on another family member at the moment, so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it

Harriet Elizabeth Warlow 1876 - 1951 married David Evans, I have found his grave in Burngreave Cemetery - It appears that she re-married Robert John Hardwick 1877 - 1948 - Married in 1923.

Can anyone please help to find where she is buried, I know the Hardwick Family were from Whiston in Rotherham.

Also I am looking for Margaret Warlow 1882 - 1970, I think she died in Sheffield, but I cannot find a record for it, and also would like to know the cemetery she is buried in.

Thanks Everyone

Dawn ;) x

Email