Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Forum: Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John Harries Warlow 1880 - 1953

Quote: Heather in Holland
1923 directory has a John H. Warlow living at 5 Northumberland Road, Sheffield. No occupation listed

Also a Frederick Arthur Warlow (J.P.) managing director of E. Allen & Co. House called Sharrow Knoll. Maybe a relative?

Heather

Hi Heather

Thank You for the information, I know they lived on Clough Road in Rotherham, but they did move to Sheffield, I will check on addresses i have - As for Frederick I haven't found any family member called that, but will check thank you again for all your help ;)

Email  

Quote: Moira Hyde
Hello Dawn,

Do you have any of the census records?
Do you have John jnrs marriage to May/Mary in 1909?

Apart from a photograph, what other records are you
looking for.

I'm presuming it is the family which originated
from Wales.

Kind regards,
Moira.

Hi Moira

Thanks for your reply, I have the Census Records, I think from when he was born - I would need to check from the dates. I do have a marriage for Frances Margaret M Tarbuck, but i believe she was known as May, and yes they did originate from Wales - i am looking for anything really, I haven't found any School Records, or Military Records. I think they travelled to America quite frequently, but i am unsure what family they had there.

Any Information would be greatly appreciated

Kindest regards

Dawn ;)

Email  

Quote: Marlene Collis
There are a couple of pieces of WARLOW information on here to the left including this:
Warlow, John Harris (, Steel smelter).
Residing at 102 Clough Road, Masbro', in 1905.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield &Rotherham.

Thank You Marlene

Thats fantastic, would you know if i could find anything to do with Steel Peech and Tozes, as i believe he was Superintendant there, both him and his father worked there, from when John 1800-1953 left the Thomas Rotherham School.

Thank You

Dawn

Email  

Hello Dawn,

I found this entry in the National Probate Calendar Index 1858-1966.

John Harris Warlow of Kosy Kot Bungalow, Bispham Road, Blackpool. Died 14th May 1932. Probate Wakefield
7th July to John Crowther Cox, estate agent, John Harris Warlow steel works manager and Charles Edward Barraclough of independent means.
Effects: £7067 15s 3d.

If you look on Ancestry Trees, someone else is searching the same family.

Kind regards,
Moira.

Email  

Quote: Moira Hyde
Hello Dawn,

I found this entry in the National Probate Calendar Index 1858-1966.

John Harris Warlow of Kosy Kot Bungalow, Bispham Road, Blackpool. Died 14th May 1932. Probate Wakefield
7th July to John Crowther Cox, estate agent, John Harris Warlow steel works manager and Charles Edward Barraclough of independent means.
Effects: £7067 15s 3d.

If you look on Ancestry Trees, someone else is searching the same family.

Kind regards,
Moira.

Hi Moira

Thanks for the information - I haven't really had time to do my ancestry for the past year or so as we have had a few very close family deaths, with lots to sort out - the information you have found is brilliant and i will update my tree - I have looked for people on ancestry but no one has any information ;( But i have found a family member living close by - how ironic and they have the Warlow Bible, with lots of information, so i really need to meet up with them - I will keep you updated and thank you so much for your help ;) x

Email  

Don't forget there is a Wales near Rotherham, unless you have specific information regarding Welsh Wales it maybe worth checking Yorkshire Wales.

Email  

Quote: Sue Winter
Don't forget there is a Wales near Rotherham, unless you have specific information regarding Welsh Wales it maybe worth checking Yorkshire Wales.

Hi Sue

It is definitely Welsh Wales they originate from - but thank you for the information - I am trying to trace his sisters death atm

Harriet Elizabeth Warlow - Married Thomas David Evans - 8th Sept 1900 in Rotherham, I have found her husbands death, but cannot find hers, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You everyone for your input ;)

Email  

Hi Dawn
As Thomas David Evans died in 1921,I looked for a second marriage for Harriet.
I have found this possible marriage and death but they will need checking.

Marriage-
Evans Harriet E Hardwick Dec 1923 Ecclesall B. 9c 669
Hardwick Robert J Evans Dec 1923 Ecclesall B. 9c 669

Death-
Harriet E Hardwick Mar 1951 Age 74 Rotherham 2c 930

Hope this helps
Sue

Quote: Sue S
Hi Dawn
As Thomas David Evans died in 1921,I looked for a second marriage for Harriet.
I have found this possible marriage and death but they will need checking.

Marriage-
Evans Harriet E Hardwick Dec 1923 Ecclesall B. 9c 669
Hardwick Robert J Evans Dec 1923 Ecclesall B. 9c 669

Death-
Harriet E Hardwick Mar 1951 Age 74 Rotherham 2c 930

Hope this helps
Sue

Hi Sue

Great minds think alike ha ha, I was thinking the very same thing last night and I also came up with the same name - spooky - how would I find out where she is buried? I may need to obtain the Marriage cert to check this out.

Thank You so much, also I am having problems with the census for John H Warlow SNR March 1847 - I can see his wife Margaret Hughes Warlow 1846 died in 1912 Rotherham, but cannot find a 1911 census, for either her or her husband, I know he died in Blackpool, as I have found the probate record.

I also found on another site for 1911
9 Leeds Road, FLYDE, BLACKPOOL, LANCASHIRE Retired Steel Smelter Married 40 years - but if he lived here it doesn't make sense why his wife died in Rotherham, unless they divorced, as I did see another marriage in 1912 to Beatrice Fletcher also of Blackpool - so confusing ;(

Email  

Hi Dawn
I'm not sure where Harriet will be buried- I am sure someone else will help you with that question.

I looked at the 1911 census for John H Warlow snr b.1848.
On Ancestry his name has been transcribed as J H WARLEY
Living at 9 Leeds Rd Blackpool
J H Warley 64 retired steel melter b.Swansea
Beatrice Fletcher 38 Housekeeper b.Manchester

I think John and Margaret must have separated.
I couldn't find Margaret in 1911 on Ancestry, but I found her probate.
It seems she stayed in the same house as the 1901 census.
It states
Margaret Warlow of Ashville, Clough Road, Rotherham (wife of John H Warlow)died 16 March 1912 at Atherstone Moorgate Rotherham.
She leaves £1093 17s 6d to her married daughters Harriet Elizabeth Evans and Emma Jane Barraclough.

John H Warlow didn't wait long before he married Beatrice Fletcher
John H Warlow to Beatrice Fletcher Sep 1912 Fylde 8e 1681

Hope this helps
Sue

Hi Sue

Thank You so much, I didn't know the housekeeper was who he married, so that is a new one ty so much, you are very kind.

I have family arriving from Norway today, of Harriet Elizabeth Evans, I think you are right and she may have re-married as I cant find a death - they were wanting to know where she would be buried, If she died in Rotherham, she maybe in the Kimberworth Cemetry - but a shot in the dark really, I couldn't see any probate records as I am on the lowest subscription for the moment, as needing to find other census's for the moment

Thank you for all your help Sue - If anyone else could help with the death of Harriet Elizabeth Evans - Maybe marrying Hardwick, would like to know where the grave is

Thanks Dawn

Quote: Sue S
Hi Dawn
I'm not sure where Harriet will be buried- I am sure someone else will help you with that question.

I looked at the 1911 census for John H Warlow snr b.1848.
On Ancestry his name has been transcribed as J H WARLEY
Living at 9 Leeds Rd Blackpool
J H Warley 64 retired steel melter b.Swansea
Beatrice Fletcher 38 Housekeeper b.Manchester

I think John and Margaret must have separated.
I couldn't find Margaret in 1911 on Ancestry, but I found her probate.
It seems she stayed in the same house as the 1901 census.
It states
Margaret Warlow of Ashville, Clough Road, Rotherham (wife of John H Warlow)died 16 March 1912 at Atherstone Moorgate Rotherham.
She leaves £1093 17s 6d to her married daughters Harriet Elizabeth Evans and Emma Jane Barraclough.

John H Warlow didn't wait long before he married Beatrice Fletcher
John H Warlow to Beatrice Fletcher Sep 1912 Fylde 8e 1681

Hope this helps
Sue

Email  

Harriett Elizabeth Warlow married Thomas David Evans in 1900 - in 1911 they are living 23 Burngreave Road, he is manager of steel works and they have 1 daughter Gwen born 1902.

In 1923 Harriett Elizabeth Evans married Robert J Hardwick

A Thomas D Evans died in Sheffield 1921

Email  

Harriett Elizabeth Warlow married Thomas David Evans in 1900 - in 1911 they are living 23 Burngreave Road, he is manager of steel works and they have 1 daughter Gwen born 1902.

In 1923 Harriett Elizabeth Evans married Robert J Hardwick

A Thomas D Evans died in Sheffield 1921

Hi Sue, thanks for the info, we have been to the grave and the address today, but I am still unable to find the burial of Harriet Elizabeth Hardwick - she died in 1951 Rotherham, any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Email  

1951 is quite late - could she have been cremated?

Email  

1951 is quite late - could she have been cremated?

Hi Sue

I have contacted Rotherham crematorium and they have no ref for her or her husband number 2, I know he was born in Whiston, but cannot find anywhere the address they were living at the time of both their deaths, so I am not sure, which cemetery they would be buried or cremated - Good Point.

Family are over from Norway atm, so thought it would be nice to show them where their G Grandmother was buried. Any ideas is greatly appreciated ;)

Email