Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Forum: Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BOLEYN

Hi Elaine,
This is tied in with my John Biggins. Lynn is trying to find something more out about William Boleyn/Boyle/Bylin and his wife Maria unknown.

William and Maria are the parents of Caesar Boyle my John Biggins' father-in-law.

The surname is a nightmare.

Wendy

Hi Cuz,

I thought that's what she was after but to be honest I wouldn't start in Sheffield.

Doncaster would be my first stop followed by Lincolnshire as three of the four children listed were born there.

Marie probably moved in with Caesar after her husbands death so
Sheffield may not feature at all.

If Doncaster was the birthplace of William & Maria I would start with a marriage. Quite often they would put the Parishes of the person not otp even this early. I think the reason they would mention Doncaster on the 1793 baptism so they could charge Doncaster Poor Laws for any expenses that may have occurred. Not an expert on these but Doncaster Family History Society would I am sure help.

Maria would have been 33 when she had Joseph in 1790 so their could be other children or she could have been married before.

Just bits and pieces that come to mind.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Brown St ran from Furnival St into Paternoster Row. One block
N. of Shorham St.

Email   Skype   Website

Thanks for your advice Elaine. William is proving to be a bit elusive at the moment but I will keep digging!

Best Wishes

Lynn

Email  
Re: BOLEYN - St Peter and St Pauls Church and St Mary's Church

Can anyone tell me if St Peter and St Paul's in Sheffield is still there and if so the name of the road it is in as I would like to visit to see if I can find Maria Boleyn's grave. Also is St Mary's Brammall Lane, Sheffield still there as Caesar Boleyn is buried there and again I would like to visit. Many thanks for any assistance you can give. Best Wishes Lynn

Quote: Lynn Boleyn
I am trying to find information about William Boleyn who was born around 1750. His wife was Maria who was born in 1757 and was buried on 28.11.1827 at St Peter and St Paul's in Sheffield. They were paupers from Doncaster. Maria Boylynn (as written on burial record) was 70 years old when she died. She was already a widow.

They had 4 sons:

Caesar Boleyn, who was a Chairmaker. Born in Doncaster on 16/2/1800. He died 4/3/1869 age 70 from Bronchitis at 37 Brown Street, Sheffield.

William Bylin was Christened on 13 September 1793 in Holbeach, Lincolnshire. His parents were William and Maria Bylin. It stated on the Christening record that they were paupers and strangers from Doncaster.

Joseph Boyling was Christened on 29 April 1790 in Boston, Lincs

and

James Boyling was Christened on 10 March 1796 in Whaplode Drive, Lincolnshire.

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks

Lynn

Email  

Hi Lynn,

St Peter & Paul or Sheffield Parish Church as was is now the Cathedral.
Unfortunately the grave yard was flattened back in the 1960's. Remains I believe were deposited at Abbey Lane Cemetery but I dont think in individual graves.

If you click on the photo of the Cathedral top left hand corner and follow through it gives you a history of Churches in Sheffield along with some photographs of both the outside and inside of the Church which you might find of interest.Likewise click on the Burial Records to the left and at the top of the page you will see maps & Photos. The one for the Cathedral is there.

St Mary's Bramall Lane is still there but has certainly lost some of its graveyard over the years due to road widening. Remains I believe also at Abbey Lane Cemetery. MI's would be at Sheffield Archives for both Churches.

Regards.
Elaine in Ottawa.

Email   Skype   Website

Many thanks for this information Elaine which is much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Lynn

Email