Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tribute to Argile Arbogast

Re: Tribute to Argile Arbogast

Thanks Norman for dredging up good memories of Argille and his stories. He will be sorely missed.

Thank you norman for this video. i have known Argile all my life and heard many of his stories. threw his horses to hunting he has given me many lessons and they were well learned. i miss Argile much as does my family. i know his family well and they are good people, i wish for them to heal from their loss. i pray for them . again thank you norman, you brought tears to my eyes.

I understand Argile bear hunted with my uncles the"Bear Hunting Twins" Austin & Oscar Sharp.

I have a picture of them with their dogs and some other hunters. I would like to know if anyone can ID some of the other hunters.

That is Oscar standing in the back on the left.
Austin is standing on the right with his foot on the bear.
That is Steamboat leaning on Oscar.
The other men I do not know. But the other man standing does look like another Sharp.

Asking again. Does anyone know the men in thepicture ?

native
Thanks for the reply. But on my screen it is about 4"x4". Maybe the mods can address this.

the men in the picture worked with austin and oscar in the mines. they are from the nettie area

Mod
Just sent email.

been there
Do you have any names or know anyone who would ?

one of the men sitting down is carol barlow's dad.

bh
I will assume that the one on the far left is NOT the one you are talking about.
Is he the mansitting
1.Full view man on left
2.Man patting the dog
3.Man in flannel shirt

Probably some are brothers. I think the one standing in the middle is Lanty. The house looks like Austin's old house. There is a bigger picture online. Maybe in one of Norman's albums.

photo was taken @ 48 or 49.the men were guys that worked with the twins in the coal mines near nettie.it was taken at the homeplace

jes me
You have a lot of info I can verify.And I do appreciate your help and input.
Lanty is very possible since he was a brother of the twins. The house is Paul Warwick Sharp and wife Mary Catherine Sharp's on Jerico Rd.
Becky Sharp has been trying to get this info also. Becky is Austin's daughter.

You're very welcome. Yes, I know who Becky is. She may want to approach Elaine while she's still around. She would be the most likely to remember hearing who was in the photo. BTW, I meant the old house that you mentioned. I believe Austin and his family lived in it. It fell down years ago:-) Good Luck.

jes me
Elaine & Becky maybe at the Sharp reunion in a couple of weeks I'll be able to see them there.

Elaine may not be feeling well enough to attend this year. I don't know. I have just heard that she is battling cancer and her brother just died. Hard to say. If I wanted to talk to her, I wouldn't wait.

austin sharp was my dad.one of the men is otto rhoades [spelling] who is carol barlow dad.he worked with dad and oscar in the coal mines.he hunted with the twins a lot.she can tell a lot of stories about them bear hunting

been here

Are you coming to the reunion ?

There is still two men not named, anyone know ?

No I do not know. I have asked my uncle Austin & Oscar's nephew who helped handle the dogs but he didn't know. I think Becky was trying to find out who they were too. We may never know.

I just had a thought....They used to take men out on a hunt that paid for a day out to see how it's done and participate.
That could be the answer. They were probably from another state/area.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!