toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What can be done about creating Jobs in Poca.

Not low paying service jobs, but jobs that pay enough to support a family.
One CC thinks farming, obviously he has never had to support himself farming.

Re: What can be done about creating Jobs in Poca.

the only way he can support himself is by running his mouth and by taking what other people have earned.he reminds me of the guy on green acres tv show;all blow and no show.most of the people that do farm works at other jobs and farm on the side because they can't make a living just farming.a lot of people works out of town and are away from their families,sometimes for weeks.this is hard on them and their family.we have people in this county that can do just about everything.a lot of companies will tell you that people in this region are some of the best workers they ever had.

You can thank the local officials for not allowing anything to come in years and years ago and now. I understand keeping the beauty there but the people need to stay too.

It's a shame..Now the only profitable business there is drugs..

Not one of our elected officials really wants to create jobs. Here's why. Any place where jobs are created, it generates population. Population generates registered voters. More registered voters means it is harder to get re-elected (unless your Obama and you register dead people to vote for you, but that's another thread).
Those who are in control have the influence over the registered voters already living here. They don't want to have to 'win over' any new comers.

shiner ive always felt a factory that builds furniture would be perfect.the raw materials are there interstates close by for shipping a work force that needs the jobs.and im talking good quality furniture not the press board stuff but solid wood.

SS brings in their illegals (aka “internationals”) that don’t even speak English. Xmas/New Years all I heard from guests were complaints about slow and lousy service. And the idea of them running a lift line was laughable. Why aren’t more local Americans (Poca.) working there? One lift guy (Mike) is the best, most experienced employee there; he gets rave reviews from skiers, so his days must be numbered, along with anyone with years & experience (according to what I read here). Is it that they work cheaper??? If so, you’d think SS would bend over backward for the “volunteers” that work FREE…but they’ve got screwed over so much, according to a ski chatroom, they're not coming back. Is it mgmt??? What? Does SS mgmt. have some ulterior motive to keep jobs away from Poca.??

alot of people don't know this,but there is a rumor that someone has bought the big springs quarry at slatyfork and is going to open it back up,plus they are going to redo the railroad track from slatyfork to elkins and put in a belt system for loading the rail cars with stone to be shipped. i think this would mean jobs for alot of people and i'm all for it what about you.and wouldn't you know it there is already talk of trying to put a stop to it happening oh yea! there is a commitee form call MOUNTIAN VALLEY COALITON and also tourism trying to keep this job from coming to pocahontas co. let me be clear about this i'm not against tourism but just like farming we can't survive on just tourism here we need other means of employment in this county.so the county commission needs to help get this job and any other means of employment for people here instead of just helping tourism. i'll stop for now [BUT WE NEED MORE JOBS FOR POCAHONTAS]

Well, it looks like Straight is Back, but he is still all Crooked. And I thought from previous posts that he was a capitalist. Now he is crying because he wants the politicians to “CREATE” jobs. What a joke. Politicians do not create jobs, businesses do.

And who would want to move a business here unless it was to exploit natural resources? Where in this county is a reliable, educated, dedicated, abundant workforce? No, here a business has to shut down from October through December so the good old boys can go hunting.

Pocahontas County does not have the environment for business that would mass hire anyone. There is no infrastructure, no mass transportation, no interstate highways, no rail, no airport, no facilities.

Compare this to places like Taiwan, China, South Korea where a culture of being educated, working hard long hours at low pay with a dedication to the business with rapid means for moving the products to the marketplace prevails.

So Straight, why do you think it is up to the Elected Officials? Why do you not trust the market place? Why do you think that lots more people here would be of any benefit? Are you willing to pay more taxes for more schools, more police, to widen the streets, put in an interstate, a rail line, an airport etc? Why would you want to make Pocahontas County an urban center just to hire a few people? Hey the urban centers already exist. The smart people who want so called better jobs pick up and leave. I do not see signs preventing anyone from going someplace else to better themselves.

So Straight, lets get it Straight do you want the government telling you what to do or don’t you? Can’t you even get your own story Straight?

Hey all you have to do is get off your derriere and start any business you want or better yet lots of new businesses. If you are so smart, and want so much for the people of this county get going and DO IT. Start a business, hire people, pay them quality wages, earn a profit, make the business larger.

I for one want to see you put your efforts where your mouth is. You do not need the government for anything. So quit crying. You can either be a solution or just another chicken little who sees the sky falling everywhere.

And the same goes for Mike Fitzgerald ( thanks Mike for using your real name). Hey Mike, businesses all over the world are begun by lots of guys called Mike.

Start a business, create something if that is what you want. Quit complaining like STRAIGHT.

And by the way the scam for Slatyfork was published on here a couple of months ago. It is a way to pad the pockets of one mining company by giving it millions of our tax dollars and ruin the environment under the guise of hiring people. Yes a couple of meanial jobs would be created, but at the expense to all of us.

Joel...

Why would mining jobs created in Slatyfork be at the expense to all of us? Do you live in Slatyfork?

yea who cares about slatey?no1 should let snowshoe worry about slatey.I for 1 left for work and if work would come the county i would come back fast as i could and alot of others would also.Think ill come home next year huntin season to help kill some meat,im a good ol boy and always will be im not a rabbit so dont eat rabbit food.Try kill all i can too

...Get Wealthy people to retire in Poca co. They Have the money so, that would bring other new businesses and jobs to the area.
ANSWER: Have a developer build a fancy, high end retirement community in Pocahontas County.

Elvis & Eminem could put on a show together. That would be a site to see, and it could be a regular nightclub thing...creating all sorts of entertainment jobs in the area. The Impersonator Palace or something like that. Alot of you wanted the caged ladies at the Connection to bring in the business. This way we get something for the women, and something for the men, and steady paychecks. Entertainment pays big bucks! LOL

BANDIT
...Get Wealthy people to retire in Poca co. They Have the money so, that would bring other new businesses and jobs to the area.
ANSWER: Have a developer build a fancy, high end retirement community in Pocahontas County.

That would be great, but from Someone knows of others who have come there to try this, They don't want it there, and I hate to say this, but one of my biz associates was there over the holidays, and " I am so sad about his reportings to us". When reading this site that I stumbled on a few months back, It is hard to even think of what is going on there, Jobs, I do remember when Harley was wanting to put a place there, Well ask the folks why that didn't happen, as far as the SS thing, That is because folks in PC don't want to work there, but also if they would thenm There should be a daily shuttle service to and from so folks could get there, If there is a place of someone who knows that would be a great area for what your talking about post it here.

Sad & Bandit are on to something - the way SS is going - IT could be a potential retirement community that would be a year-round 24/7 business. You could run food service, entertainment, etc 365 days a year vs a couple of months. Hey, even Starbucks wouldn't have to mothball for months at a time. You guys might be on to something !

i agree with joel only private interprise creates jobs that produce a prouct that turnes a profit goverment tends to make jods and tax us to keep them .

dont forget about the 'macro environment' that has been fostered in by ol' byrd and rockefeller, etc. that has created a culture of wv being the pre-eminent "worstest place" to conduct business;

http://wvclosedforbusiness.com/blog/

sideshowbob
shiner ive always felt a factory that builds furniture would be perfect.the raw materials are there interstates close by for shipping a work force that needs the jobs.and im talking good quality furniture not the press board stuff but solid wood.

unfortunately, all of these jobs have pretty much left the states for sure. just about everything has moved overseas- furniture based production communities in va and nc have been obliterated and decimated. same goes pretty much true as well for the textiles industry.

as far as the abundance of raw materials, it would take a decade or two to get through litigation of all the environmental wackos screaming bout little spotted lizards and salamanders and bullwinkle belittlement and rocky the flying squirrel.

http://www.usnews.com/money/business-economy/small-business/articles/2009/02/02/the-7-worst-states-to-start-a-business.html

The 7 Worst States To Start a Business
These states place high burdens on entrepreneurs

By Matthew Bandyk

Posted: February 2, 2009

There are many reasons why you would want to start a business in one state rather than another. But the reasons are probably going to fall into two broad categories: First, what does that state's economic environment offer in terms of things that will help your business be successful? This could be a highly educated workforce, excellent telecommunications infrastructure, a network of other successful businesspeople, and many other factors. Second, what factors does the state have that would hurt your chances of being successful or even getting your business off the ground? This could be high taxes, high crime, or high regulatory barriers to starting a business.

U.S. News decided to find the states that offer the least helpful environment, and also do the most to harm businesspeople through interference. What states are lagging in the economic advantages that entrepreneurs can use to create successful businesses? What state governments overreach in the costs they impose on businesses? We consulted two recent comprehensive studies that take completely different approaches to measuring the friendliness of the 50 states to entrepreneurs: the 2008 New State Economy Index, by the Kauffman Foundation and the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, and the Small Business Survival Index 2008, by the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council.

1. West Virginia

West Virginia has not been known for economic prosperity in recent decades. It consistently ranks as one of states with the lowest per capita income. So it shouldn't be surprising that the Kauffman Foundation ranks West Virginia 49th out of 50 states in its preparation for the economic trends that will propel entrepreneurs in the 21st century. It's harder to find highly-educated people to hire in West Virginia than in other parts of the country; it ranks last among the 50 states in workers with advanced degrees or some kind of higher education attainment. Perhaps not coincidentally, the state also ranks last in the number of entrepreneurs starting new businesses.

Another factor in West Virginia's low level of entrepreneurial activity might its high level of taxation. According to the SBEC's index, West Virginia is in the top 20 percent of states based on how high their corporate income and corporate capital gains tax rates are, and in the top 50 percent for individual income and capital gains tax rates.

Criticism of business taxation in WV is a theme brought out numerous times:what would the critics tax ,then, instead of businesses?What exactly does the state have that could be taxed instead?Natural resources?

remember "the giant sucking sound" comment?--- its important to note that it wasnt even about a little brunette white house intern;

"What exactly does the state have that could be taxed"

Easy answer - PROPERTY

Why are large corporations which own hundreds of thousands of acres of surface and minerals charged less per acre on their property taxes than individuals who own and live on smaller parcels of land. Many of these are out of state companies that have held the property for years without paying their fare share of property taxes. It's time to make them pay property taxes equal to what we residents pay.

joel where are your facts about the business shutting down for that period of time.i don't what our elected officials to start a business but i don't want them to use their power to keep a business out. as far as workers go we have a good work force but no jobs.you don't have to have a four lane highway or interstate to have a factory.most of the products we use is mined; iron ore, copper, gravel, coal,lime,salt,and a lot of materials used in houses.if more people move in or decide to stay it wouldn't bother me.if you don't like it you can find some place else to live.

Hey Been Here,

Thanks for the comments, but you really said nothing.

Show me where I said anything about businesses shutting down?

And just about the only natural resources jobs in Pocahontas County are logging jobs associated with local mills. The products do not have to be shipped elsewhere.

And why did you slip into that very stupid saying about not liking it here? Is that about the best you can do?

Well, no one is stopping you from creating many businesses or many mega-businesses right here. NOT EVEN ME. So quit crying like “CROOKED” above and make Pocahontas County into a mega metropolis with malls, mills, and monsters. Thinking the County Commission is going to do anything only highlights your own lack of creativity.
GO FOR IT “BEEN HERE” but don’t blame your shortcomings on me.

Oh, by the way I did create a business that flourishes here and pumps lots and lots of dollars into our economy.

What did you say you did for the county? I am waiting for you answer.

i did alot of community service for the county because of that little weasel face jr clifton didnt finish it decided i did enough for the trumped up charge they got me on,him and that fat sweathog miller.But im not there nomore and thats long past but tell me something joel what do you do that brings so much to pokeur cousin?

To LOL,

I run a non profit charitable organization known as Point of View Farm, Inc. Since I have been here I have spent well over a million dollars and have hired dozens of people and businesses to do things.

This guy, “Been Here” who is really “Getting it Straight (really Crooked)” is nothing but a blow hard and a cry baby. Let him tell us who he really is and what he has done for Pocahontas County and West Virginia.

No doubt he likes being a no name coward who just likes to spend his time weeping on his mamma’s apron. And bitc-ing here on Etater. I wonder if he will ever grow up, be a real man and own up to his Christian name? Maybe he will after he outgrows his diapers.

And LOL, I know who you are. As a matter of fact I was talking to your mother the other night about your situation.

Of all the posters on this thread, Joel & snakes and arrows are the only 2 people that seems to have an intelligent response.
The geographical logistic's of Poca. Co. make it impossible for it to ever become a place for a large thriving business or corp. to excel.

Then why is Beverly/Elkins have so much industry. heck they are or were further from Civilization than Marlinton.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!