toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Slow Computer

I have been having problems with a slow computer on Outlook Express and getting on the Internet. I called Frontier and they checked and said the problem was not because of any problem there. I unplugged the DSL box and plugged it back in and it improved a little but not much. Any ideas - help please.

Re: Slow Computer

I am also dealing with a slow computer. I called Frontier technical support and we did a speed test.

The conclusion was that there is "noise" on the line, meaning a problem with a phone jack, bad inside wiring, or another device that shares the line with the DSL. Of course, these are in addition to problems on the outside.

I like to use Netflix. My computer is so slow that video quality and buffering scans, which occur prior to viewing the feature, do not function well and makes using the service null and void. It is almost like going back to dial-up, it's THAT SLOW.

I believe I have my problem solved but have yet to take action.

Sometimes computers run slow when there is a great deal of adware on them. Try down loading search and destroy, run it, reboot, run it again and reboot and you should see a big change.

thz

Here is the web site for search & destroy It says it is a free download

Spybot Search & Destroy Anti-spyware Tools Download PC World

It has to be somethig to the with the internet mine took 10 minutes just for internet expler to open the other day.
And do not use the spy bot it will cause more problems with your computer I have just a regular clean up program on mine and it works great I will try to figure out how to get it someone put it on for me.

One thing you can do is just a good "house cleaning". Keep the Trash bin empty, go to Add and remove software and remove the games and software you don't use, BUT, if you don't know what it is, don't remove it. Printer software is usually a big space hog, so if you've replaced your printer make sure you've removed the old software that goes with it.
After the clean up, Run Error-Checking and Defragment your hard drive(s).
Do this by Right clicking on your hard drive in My Computer ->Properties -> and click on the Tools tab.
PS; I've been using SpyBot S&D for years, works great.
Check out our Free PC Security, Anti-Virus and other Software Links Sticky for some good free cleanup Utilities.

thanks Administrator 2 - I don't know why but it will not allow me to defrag - has a note about something else should be run instead when I go to defrag. Computers feel like a foreign language to me. I wish we had a general computer course available - I'm not stupid but just can't understand a manual telling me and not showing me how to do something. Appreciate all the help on here though.

Down with drugs
Sometimes computers run slow when there is a great deal of adware on them. Try down loading search and destroy, run it, reboot, run it again and reboot and you should see a big change.

I did it and it helped a lot! Thank you for the reccommendation.

Something else I forgot to add; Disk Cleanup.

There are two ways to do this;

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

Or-

In Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click on your Hard Drive(s), click Properties, under the General tab, click Disk Cleanup.

Read more here; Microsoft Support

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!