toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alert Tater Discovers How to Beat Any Radar Ticket Given by A Municipal Officer

It's a rush every morning. You dive into the bathroom to grab the hot water before anyone else. Then you make a mad dash to the kitchen to get breakfast for the kids and get them ready for school. Breakfast for you is a cup of coffee and something leftover from the night before. The kids make the school bus just in the nick of time. You check the time, grab your keys and sprint towards you vehicle. As you whip through traffic, neighborhood pets, and assorted children's toys, you go over the schedule for the day. At this point your about ninety-five per cent job/family/home and about five per cent driving. Then you see them. The red and blue lights snap you back to reality and since you haven't touched your brakes since you left your driveway it can't be stuck brake lights, it must be the cops. You cringe as you look at your speedometer. You pull to the side of the road and practice your best "What? Me speeding?" expression in the rear view as you fumble for your license, registration and proof of insurance.

It's not an uncommon occurrence. Speeding fines collected from individual drivers constitute a part of a city's budget. I know from experience that these fines are estimated and actually put into the budgets so don't let anyone tell you different.

The question here is can you beat the ticket in court? If you received the ticket in West Virginia, there might be some hope for you. There's a cute little law on the books that you may be able to cite and scare those town magistrates into the closets of small town mediocrity.

Now, there's several ways to avoid convictions and paying tickets in West Virginia. I knew of one character who always fought tickets given on the municipal level or by state peace officers within a city. He would simply pay the bond and wait.

The case would make it to the Circuit Court Judge eventually and be continued. In fact, my friend's cases were usually continued three or four times before the case was dropped and his bond money,usually the cost of the fine, was returned.

The lesson, Circuit Court Judges don't have time to listen to minor traffic infractions. Does it work out this way all of the time? Probably not, but it does work enough to give it a go. If you were caught trying to set a land speed record I doubt that you will be successful, so don't rely on the scenario mentioned above.

The easiest ones to fight and be victorious are the ones from small towns and municipalities of a certain class. This strategy actually has the West Virgina Code on your side.

There's really no choice for the magistrate except to throw out the case. This magic pill designed to wipe out your speeding woes like quinine decimates malaria comes in two dosages.

West Virginia Code §17C-6-7. — "Prima facie evidence of speed by devices employing microwaves; placing of signs relative to radar". Doesn't sound scary but this is the first of a "one-two punch" that will keep your hard earned money in your pocket.

West Virginia Code §17C-6-7. — "Prima facie evidence of speed by devices employing microwaves; placing of signs relative to radar" gives us some insight on just whom is allowed to even use radar as a means of speed monitoring and control. The code states:
"The speed of a motor vehicle may be proved by evidence obtained by use of any device designed to measure and indicate or record the speed of a moving object by means of microwaves, when such evidence is obtained by members of the department of public safety, by police officers of incorporated municipalities in classes one, two and three, as defined in chapter eight-a of this code, and by the sheriff and his deputies of the several counties of the state."

So, to put this in terms you can understand, those peace officers (police officers) that use radar devices to monitor speed must be using the devices in class 1, 2, and 3 municipalities.

To determine what constitutes as a class 1,2, or 3 municipality, we go to the coup de gras, the second punch of our knockout blow.

West Virginia Code §8-1-3. "Classification of municipal corporations." Sparring with that nasty magistrate will come to an abrupt end and victory will be yours if the municipality does not fall within the following guidelines:

"Pursuant to the mandate of the "Municipal Home Rule Amendment" to the constitution of this state, all municipal corporations are hereby classified by population into four classes, as follows:

(1) Every municipal corporation with a population in excess of fifty thousand shall be a Class I city;

(2) Every municipal corporation with a population in excess of ten thousand but not in excess of fifty thousand shall be a Class II city;

(3) Every municipal corporation with a population in excess of two thousand but not in excess of ten thousand shall be a Class III city;"

Simply put, if the municipality has less than 2000 residents as of the 2000 U.S. Census and your speed was obtained using a radar or laser "gun", the ticket is null and void and there's simply no way to argue with it from a court's standpoint.

This does not apply to VASCAR or pacing. If the magistrate wishes to push it, see the first couple of paragraphs of this article. Populations of West Virginia Cities as of the 2000 census can be obtained at: http://www.citytowninfo.com/places/west-virginia/

I am not advocating excess speed on the many miles of roads in the State of West Virginia. I do know that sometimes we can be oblivious to how fast our vehicles are traveling. Yes, it happens. Everyone is entitled to a mistake.

If that officer in the spiffy uniform is running radar and giving you a ticket in a municipality that doesn't have at least 2,000 citizens as of the latest U.S. Census, he's betting you don't know about this law. They lose!

Be aware that you can be charged with reckless driving and all speed limits are prima facie, meaning a safe speed according to the conditions present at the time you came speeding...um, driving through town.

While they can't mention an actual speed, the officer may try to judge that your speed was knowingly reckless in relation to the conditions present at the time.

Please drive carefully and responsibly...and eat breakfast!

Down Beckley Way

Mabscott Madness wrote:
I am concerned that Wayne Houckm Mabscott mayor and his Barney Fife cops are continuing their hocus pokus radar traps.
You can't hardly drive down Old Eccles Road without spotting them hidden and awaiting your $$$. Some of the posted speed signs are actually hidden by trees, and brush, such as the one coming up the hill on Old Eccles Rd. from Rt. 16.
Actually, as of the census of 2000, there were 1,403 people, 581 households, and 428 families residing in the town of Mabscott. Since they have less than 2000 residents, they can't legally use radar for capturing speed.
My point is this:
West Virginia Code §8-1-3.
"Classification of municipal corporations."
"Pursuant to the mandate of the "Municipal Home Rule Amendment" to the constitution of this state, all municipal corporations are hereby classified by population into four classes, as follows:
(1) Every municipal corporation with a population in excess of fifty thousand shall be a Class I city;
(2) Every municipal corporation with a population in excess of ten thousand but not in excess of fifty thousand shall be a Class II city;
(3) Every municipal corporation with a population in excess of two thousand but not in excess of ten thousand shall be a Class III city;"
Simply put, if the municipality has less than 2000 residents as of the 2000 U.S. Census and your speed was obtained using a radar or laser "gun", the ticket is null and void and there's simply no way to argue with it from a court's standpoint.
So why on earth does Wayne Houck, mayor of Mabscott continue to harass people and attempt to collect money from speeding tickets that they don't have the authority to write using radar? If the officer would attempt to say he calculated my speed with his eyesight, I would like to have his badge for being a fraud. No person alive can accurately do that.
Would the answer be similar to how Mabscott was found guilty of falsifying information in their recent annexation coup? Why does the Raleigh Co. Commission continue to allow Mabscott to harass citizens with their illegal radar? I am not in favor of anyone driving reckless or unsafe. However, I don't like small town cops trying to do things they aren't allowed to do.

Rhodell is doing their town the same way. They are runnin people out of the town due to the way the cops are doing radar too. Over the last month or so over a handful of people that I know have gotten tickets and I am talking about people that are law abiding, church going, would give me the shirt off their back for speeding around 30 or so miles ahour and I I think most of those might even been out of town limits as well. Now those of us that know the area now that this will not help or clean up this town. Visitors want to drive through the coal camps and see the area but Rhodell you are missin out on that money due to cops runin radar. Cause people are tell them to stay away due to the radar runnin. Cops can do better by gettin out the community & gettin to know the people and what is goin on in the area cause drugs, pills and stealing are really top on our list. Not going 5 miles over the speeding limit.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!