toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fraudulent Use of Education Documents by Highland Administrator--It's getting closer!

We have raised question about the possible use of fraudulent documents to establish his legal credentials by our local Judge James Rowe. (See our blog on How Judge Rowe Became a lawyer.

Secondly, we have reason to believe that there is something funky with our prosecutor's legal credentials. (She took the test five years BEFORE she was eligible.

Now we are looking at an administrative law judge who had given up her CLE studies contrary to the law and was thereby not eligible to be an administrative law judge.

NOW LISTEN TO WHAT WVMR IS REPORTING TODAY:

FRAUDULENT CREDENTIALS IN HIGHLAND COUNTY

And From the Highland Recorder

Medical center director arrested
Drawbaugh charged with a felony, and misdemeanor
By Anne Adams
Staff Writer

MONTEREY — At 2:10 yesterday, D. Bradley Drawbaugh, executive director of Highland Medical Center, was arrested on a warrant requested by Virginia State Police.

Drawbaugh was charged with one felony and one misdemeanor related to obtaining money from the center under false pretenses.

VSP Special Agent Michael Keen is handling the investigation.

Highland County deputies arrested Drawbaugh, and he was held in the county jail until about 4:30 p.m., before he was transported to Middle River Regional Jail.

HMC’s board of directors held an emergency meeting, and appointed Debbie Perdue as acting director.

“We were floored. We were shocked and devastated,” said board president Sarah Samples today (Wednesday).

The board issued a statement this afternoon: “The Highland Medical Center Board of Directors wishes to assure the community that the excellent care our patients receive is unchanged. All of our services remain fully staffed and our medical and management team will maintain this high level of care. Debbie Perdue, HMC’s chief operations officer, is serving as temporary executive director. D. Bradley Drawbaugh is now on administrative leave. The improvements to the medical center in the last few years continue to benefit the community we serve. The board is committed to keeping the best interests of our patients and community at the forefront of HMC’s mission.”

HMC staff took steps to secure its assets, Samples said, and the center will remain operating as usual. Board member Phil Munchel, she noted, has managerial experience, and he stepped up to help HMC make plans to get all medical center property from Drawbaugh. “We have secured the center as best we can … We are just going to keep going,” Samples said. Drawbaugh, she added, “has done great things here. He’s made so many improvements over these last two years … It’s just devastating.”

Drawbaugh did not return calls from The Recorder today.

Sheriff Herb Lightner said while in Highland, Drawbaugh was given his options for release on a $5,000 bond but did not post one before being transported to Middle River. He was released last night, Lightner said.

The felony charge is obtaining money under false pretenses in the sum of $118,522 belonging to HMC from April 1, 2008 through yesterday, Dec. 22, 2009. That amount would have been Drawbaugh’s director salary, and is a Class 4 felony.

The misdemeanor charge is obtaining or transferring any document “for the purpose of establishing a false status, occupation, membership, license or identity for himself or any other person,” and is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

According to former HMC board president Larry Held, who resigned more than a month ago because commuting for that duty from Charlottesville became difficult, Drawbaugh had been asked by the board this summer to provide evidence of his credentials, including the Ph.D. he claimed to have earned from LaSalle Extension University in Chicago.

The request came following anonymous emails sent to Held, and HMC attorney Melissa Dowd, which alleged Drawbaugh did not hold a Ph.D.

Held told The Recorder that Drawbaugh had shown the board his certificate, and the board was satisfied. “I don’t know whether it was real, but he works really hard and he’s getting results,” Held said then. “I don’t think he’s lying about it.”

Samples said she, too, had seen the certificate. “He provided it to us, but then he took it all back home with him,” she said. “I really wanted to believe him. I wanted everything to be all right, and I admit I accepted it, and accepted him, at face value. I saw (the certificate) but I didn’t examine it really closely or anything.”

Drawbaugh claims to have received his Ph.D. from LaSalle Extension University of Chicago, Ill., in 2000.

LaSalle was a nationally accredited private university that closed in 1982 after it became involved in lawsuits and counter-suits by the Federal Trade Commission over the degrees it advertised. According to web site sources, after the school closed, it turned over its records to the Illinois State Board of Education. It was never authorized by that board to convey any level of degree above a bachelor’s.

Pat Barto, educator and school development division at the Illinois board of education, told The Recorder the school had indeed closed, and she had no record of David B. Drawbaugh or D. Bradley Drawbaugh having received any degree from the university. She said no alumni records exist beyond 1986, nor did LaSalle offer any degrees at the Ph.D. level.

“The board has a fiduciary responsibility to over see the executive director,” Held said Wednesday. “Based on all the information we had, we felt the center was doing quite well, and we did give him a raise last year. I’m totally shocked with this … it’s the worse possible thing that can happen to the center.”

After receiving the anonymous emails, Held told Drawbaugh and the board about them. “We asked him for evidence which he provided and all of us were aware of that but felt his performance was so good. We felt the critical part of a job was performance.”

A Ph.D. was not required for the position of HMC’s executive director.

Drawbaugh was also HMC’s chief financial officer, and has been touting HMC’s plans to expand. Just last week, the Town of Monterey agreed to give most of its Carver Meadow property to HMC so the center could build a pharmacy and improve the parking lot. A resolution for conveying the land has not yet been signed; council meets again Jan. 7 to review the and possibly approve the transfer.

The anonymous source says he or she confirmed with Held that Drawbaugh’s job history record included a mention of his work with a Nevada company called Today’s Care Inc.

According to Nevada Secretary of State records, that company’s state licensing has been revoked. “That company never opened its doors,” the source claims.

The current HMC board consists of 11 voting members, plus Ellenberg as past-president. They are: Phil Munchel, Gideon Hiner, Phyllis Whetzel, Lola Sestrap, Jackie Stephenson (secretary), Lunora Doyle (treasurer), Sharon Sponaugle, Buster Varner, Laura LaPrade, and Gail Price, who yesterday was elected vice president.

Sestrap said while she was involved in recruiting Drawbaugh, she and other board members were limiting their public statements at this time. “This has been hard for everyone,” she said.

HMC is a certified rural health care center that relies on federal funding to serve the area, and is primarily assisted through the Virginia Community Healthcare Association.

VCHA’s director of recruitment services Thomas Gaskins said he was flabbergasted to learn of Drawbaugh’s arrest. VCHA helps rural health centers recruit staff, and generally supports them in any way possible, he said. In this case, HMC did not use VCHA to recruit its executive director. “ We did not provide search and source processes for them,” he said. “We did offer our help, but ultimately they found D. Bradley on their own.”

HMC is supposed to use due diligence in the hiring process, he added, doing credential and criminal background checks. “If the association had had a hand in it, we would have received all the records, augmented the files … we would have done those things. But we did not have a hand in that.”

VCHA is not often asked for recruiting help for executive staff, he explained, because it’s “cumbersome, time-consuming and expensive.”

Gaskins said he was pleased Perdue had been appointed interim director, and said he had known her for a long time and felt she would do a great job for HMC.

Held served on the committee that recruited for a new director when former director Polly Newlon had resigned. He explained HMC did a nationwide search and ran several advertisements. “We looked at a lot of people and couldn’t find anybody,” he said, noting the pay offered for the position was lower on average, and it was hard to find a high-quality person for that salary. “We were really frustrated,” he said.

Eventually, Sestrap, who was not on the board at the time, offered to help because she’d had recruiting experience at another company. “She had resources and she came up with people,” Held said. “D. Bradley was on the top of the list. The board reviewed his resume; we talked to him by phone; and we submitted his name to the federal government for a background check.”

HMC submitted Drawbaugh’s name to the Health Resources and Services Administration, he said. HRSA is a federal agency under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Contacted by The Recorder, that agency says it does not do that kind of recruiting or credential checking. Richard Shinn, director of public affairs, said that work is the responsibility of the board or official in charge. “We don’t approve or disapprove (potential staff),” he said.

“I really thought D. Bradley was doing such a good job,” Held added.

HMC, he stressed, had has independent audits performed and the most recent one, in September, got an “outstanding” rating.

“We probably should have done more reference checking, but … I’m horrified … this is hard to comprehend. I consider him a friend.”

Virginia State Police could not provide further details due to the ongoing investigation.

Drawbaugh has a 2 p.m. hearing on Jan. 7 in Highland County General District court. “These are crimes brought by the state,” Lightner noted, “and HMC is the alleged victim. These are criminal charges.”

Dowd, who is also Highland commonwealth's attorney, had asked Bath commonwealth’s attorney Chris Singleton to serve as prosecutor, before charges were brought by police. “I did not feel there was a conflict of interest but personally, I felt it was in the best interests of the medical center and the community that I did not prosecute,” she said.

Tuesday, Singleton said he expects to serve as special prosecutor after he is officially appointed by the judge, and has been informed about the situation by police.

HMC has placed Drawbaugh on administrative leave but Dowd declined to say whether he was continuing to be paid. “The medical center will continue to move forward and serve the community, but it needs and requests the support of the community in this very difficult time,” she said. The board has absolute confidence in the HMC staff, “and they will efficiently and effectively operate just as they have always done,” she said. “The community needs to understand this has rocked the board and the center’s staff, but this will have no impact on how the medical center functions day to day.”

“We are just going to try to do what we need to do to keep the medical center going, and we hope people will have confidence in us,” Samples said.

He was in office a little over a year before he was arrested!

Highland Medical Center welcomes new CEO
BY PAM FLYNN • CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Dr. Bradley Drawbaugh says he is delighted to be in Highland County, where he and his wife will be closer to their family, and he can steer Highland Medical Center as CEO/CFO. (Recorder photo by Pam Flynn) Dr. Bradley Drawbaugh says he is delighted to be in Highland County, where he and his wife will be closer to their family, and he can steer Highland Medical Center as CEO/CFO. (Recorder photo by Pam Flynn) MONTEREY - On Feb. 12, Highland Medical Center officially welcomed its new chief executive officer, Dr. D. Bradley Drawbaugh, an energetic and competent individual whose experience and knowledge have allowed him to hit the ground running. Drawbaugh exhibits a personable and accessible management style which, coupled with his expertise and genuine concern for people, are producing changes at HMC.

Drawbaugh and his wife, Cindy Sue, are looking for property here. Drawbaugh hails most recently from the Chicago area, but has experience in other smaller rural healthcare systems in Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and rural parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

"Over the years I have been especially interested in assisting health services to under-served areas with limited resources. I am always amazed at how smaller communities take care of one another. Highland is a good example," Drawbaugh says.

As he settled into his office at Highland Medical Center recently, new CEO Dr. Bradley Drawbaugh found a box of photos and news articles that recount the center's beginnings. He hopes to use the memorabilia to remind residents about HMC's history. (Recorder photo by Pam Flynn) As he settled into his office at Highland Medical Center recently, new CEO Dr. Bradley Drawbaugh found a box of photos and news articles that recount the center's beginnings. He hopes to use the memorabilia to remind residents about HMC's history. (Recorder photo by Pam Flynn) One deciding factor in applying for the position at HMC included the Drawbaughs' desire for a change in their quality of life - personally and professionally. "On a personal level, we are closer to my wife's family, who live just over the Pennsylvania line from Maryland and West Virginia in the northern Allegheny Mountains. She comes from a large family, loves to sew, cook, bake, and put up garden vegetables. I love to hunt and fish and also enjoy gardening and birding. We have horses. We love the mountains. We have a daughter getting married in July and they plan to relocate to northern Virginia and then start a family. Can you really think of a better place to settle than Highland?" he said.

"For years I have been traveling a lot and helping hospital and healthcare systems develop services to help meet critical needs in their communities. I have especially enjoyed helping turn around hospitals and health services clinically and or financially. Although HMC is probably the smallest operation that I have been tasked to provide leadership, there is something to be said for small. I was very impressed how this medical center emerged through the shared vision, hard work, volunteerism and contributions of several individuals. I think that it was a worthwhile decision to come here and apply my best efforts to helping preserve HMC for future generations."

Drawbaugh notes he had not been to Highland before, though he had traveled in the region. Because his grandparents lived in Falls Church, part of his childhood was spent in the Shenandoah Mountains. He explains, "I visited (Highland) only once before accepting the position. However, I did my homework and asked a lot of questions and sought out as much information about Highland Medical Center and the area. After good discussions, I finally settled on Highland over other offers. You have to understand that I met my wife-to-be and married her three months later. Call it love at first sight. We will be married to one another 30 years come this June."

Drawbaugh believes HMC has a lot to celebrate. "What a remarkable story of a community coming together to help its own citizens," he said. "We need to find ways to tell that story better and recognize the contributions of so many."

He said he recently found a box in his office loaded with photos, newspaper clippings and other memorabilia that describe the story of HMC from its earliest days when it was founded more than a decade ago. He is interested in preserving this important record of the history of the center, he said.

Drawbaugh readily acknowledges HMC has had its share of difficulties. He has already taken measures in his new role to hold open dialogue with staff and engage the community about ways to improve service. "I believe that (difficulties) are to be expected," he said. "It is not easy to provide healthcare in today's complicated healthcare system with lots of different licensing, regulatory agencies, payers, and ever-changing funding streams. Also, organizations are like people - actually they are people - and as such, they evolve over time."

In his first day on the job, Drawbaugh met the staff; on his second day, he held a "town hall meeting" with them, telling them it was their meeting and he was present to listen, assist, and support them with what they do best. He believes the staff is responsive to leadership. "I want to empower them to take ownership of how we can do things better. They have a lot of good ideas," he said.

HMC employees suggested changes that are patient- and customer-service focused. For instance, the sliding fee discount program has been simplified to be more easily understandable. In the past, the program was based upon a percentage of cost, a process that made it less predictable for a patient to determine what they might owe. The new method features a flat rate of $10 or $25 per visit, depending on the patient's income level.

Another valuable staff change will begin March 18, when every third Thursday at 6:30 a.m., the center will offer an early lab work day to accommodate loggers and others whose work schedules start early.

An important innovation to come from employees has been the revised patient satisfaction form. This form previously consisted of two pages of in-depth questions designed to gather a lot of information. The form was shortened to a half-page questionnaire of quick-response questions and plenty of room for notes and feedback. The number of responses is up from 10 percent in February to 28 percent in March. Questions and responses are designed to track patient satisfaction in key areas such as waiting times, facilities, or whether the patient would refer others to HMC. Responses are carefully monitored, recorded and rated as to status and need for improvement. One respondent noted, "Keep listening to our feedback." The staff will be doing just that.

"We have been getting a lot of useful feedback," Drawbaugh said. "We have noted long waits and problems with scheduling or referrals. We will also be adding these areas to our list of things to improve upon. We welcome and value the feedback that we get. Out goal is to reduce waiting times. We plan to implement new processes in scheduling and registration and using a patient time tracking tool. We are also implementing changes with how we schedule so that we can better accommodate our patients and insure successful follow-ups. We will also be looking at our referral practices to see who we can build better referral relationships to keep our patients healthy and happy."

Additional changes have been made in the patient signin sheet and staff is in the process of re-addressing the phone system, searching for ways to improve this vital link between patients and service.

Drawbaugh is also aware of the high turnover in staff that has plagued HMC in recent years. He cited staff stability as vital to HMC for patients and families, medical providers and employees. "We will be working hard to improve not only patient satisfaction but staff satisfaction. Our employees, including medical staff, could all be earning a lot more elsewhere. They have chosen to work here and serve their neighbors. I will be doing all that I can to support them," he said.

"We have already implemented some changes to better organize our team," he continued. "I am examining ways to adjust and improve our low wage scales within our limitations. We also plan to find ways to have fun at work and to recognize outstanding performance. As an organization, we are like a family and need to take care of one another."

One area in which the organization is being redefined is in management and front office teams. In order to provide more efficient operations - with an emphasis on customer service and patient satisfaction - including other physicians and labs where patients are referred, job descriptions have been rewritten. Drawbaugh had each employee in these areas write their own job descriptions, believing no one knew better than those individuals what they actually did in a day's and week's time. Each employee listed all functions they perform. This provided a basis to examine how to consolidate efforts better managed by one person, and has resulted in less duplication of efforts. Now the job descriptions more accurately reflect what these staff members really do.

"Medical oversight is provided by our medical director who reports directly to me," he explained. "As with staff, I believe in empowering and supporting my medical team and in inspiring them with a patient-centered focus to achieve positive clinical outcomes for their patients."

Regarding patient concerns, Drawbaugh added, "I have been listening to the concerns, opinions and the kudos expressed by others. I often ask for it. It is important to listen and acknowledge people. This is how we can continue to make HMC the very best it can possibly be."

One of those concerns has been the "bedside" manner of physicians, which some patients have expressed as a problem.

"I think it is important to emphasize that doctors are people," Drawbaugh says. "They also have personalities and styles of doing things. Some patients prefer a doctor who is more traditional, firm and the expert. Others prefer a doctor who is gentler and involves them in decisions about their care. Patients have different preferences and respond differently to different styles. Some patients prefer male doctors and others a female doctor. I think it is always a good idea to offer patients choices."

Recently, the HMC board chose not to renew the contract for Dr. George Damewood, HMC's current general practictioner, whose contract was to expire a couple of weeks ago. However, according to Bill Ellenburg, president of the HMC board of directors, the board and Damewood have mutually agreed to extend his contract through June.

Drawbaugh believes cultivating and maintaining healthy relationships is key to insuring an organization is providing excellent medical care. "In the recent past, the board and the administration have been in a period of transition. It is wise to re-access decisions that were made in that interim period. With regard to reports of Dr. Damewood's departure, please know that I regard Dr. Damewood as a valuable member of our medical staff. I look forward to continuing that relationship to more fully meet the needs of the residents of Highland and Bath counties. All are moving forward with the intention that we are going to make this work. I am very pleased with the medical team. They are really starting to coalesce as a team."

Negotiations are now under way to hire a new dentist and a new physical therapist with the intention of extending HMC's service offerings to include a full line of dental care and physical therapy. Other changes in service offerings are also planned.

Drawbaugh holds a Ph.D. in health care administration as well as a master's in business administration. He is serving both as HMC's chief executive officer and chief financial officer, overseeing not only every aspect of daily operations but also all financial matters at the center, Ellenberg explained.

In his experience in start-ups of both hospital and medical center facilities in other areas, and in his advisory capacity in financial and fiduciary management, Drawbaugh is adept at structuring services offered by an organization in such a way that services are financially sustainable and operating costs are met. Additionally, he has begun the process of resubmission for grant funding to help offset start up costs for the dentistry program.

Drawbaugh feels blessed in that Highland Medical Center has a rich history of individuals or groups of individuals who have made significant contributions in small and large ways. "This speaks so well for this community. History has shown that when critical needs have arisen, the community knows how to come together to meet those needs."

Highland Medical Center now has an operating budget of $950,000 and serves more than 2,000 patients for a total of more than 8,000 visits per year. The center offers a range of services - family practice including wellbaby care and family planning, adult internal medicine, x-ray and diagnostic screening, a dispensary, and mental health and substance abuse services.

HMC's future rests with improving its services, Drawbaugh said. "I am aware of the need for urgent care in this area. In the future, can Highland Medical Center be a place for delivering well babies, treating unstable diabetics, providing for short-term stays, monitoring and assessing medically unstable patients or stabilizing them prior to transport? I believe so. I am very aware of the number of elderly Highland residents who are residing in nursing homes one hour or more away from their homes, loved ones and community. Can Highland Medical

Center provide for some longterm care needs? I think it's possible with careful planning. Can Highland Medical Center provide for more diagnostic, wellness and preventive medicine to make our citizens' lives healthier and happier? I think we can do it. Can we reach beyond our borders with our neighbors to the west and provide more services? I think we can.

"These things may not happen overnight but at least we have some possible worthy goals to reach toward. In order to be successful we will need to involve the community in the planning and work harder at building and maintaining healthy relationships with the communities we serve."

HMC, he said, will need to evolve over time within its means, he added. "Initially, we will work hard to strengthen our overall financial performance. We are a nonprofit with limited resources and need to do everything that we can to maximize the return on our revenue so that we can sustain growth and provide new services. We are in the process of bringing stability to the team and involving them in working together to make improvements to everything we do that places our patients, families and communities first.

"The Highland people have been fortunate to have a dedicated hard-working volunteer board over the years and an equally dedicated patient base that together have kept faith with the public trust I preserving and growing HMC for future generations," he added. "HMC has a lot of strengths, principally its patients and families and the hardworking, dedicated staff. Without good people nothing else happens. Highland Medical Center is financially solvent; however, we need to improve our overall operations both clinically and financially. We need to do a better job of educating folks that we are not only here to provide good care when they need it but to we are also here to assist them in paying for their care."

Re: Fraudulent Use of Education Documents by Highland Administrator--It's getting closer!

Director of the Highland Medical Center arrested for fraud
D. Bradley Drawbaugh D. Bradley Drawbaugh

State Police say D. Bradley Drawbaugh, the director of the Highland Medical Center, was arrested Tuesday for fraud related charges including obtaining money by false pretense and fraudulent use of documents for the purpose of establishing a false status or occupation. Drawbaugh's educational credentials have also been called into question.

State Police conducted an investigation after a complaint was made about accounting irregularities uncovered during an independent audit of the medical center.

News release from the Virginia State Police:

State Police Charge Highland Medical Center Administrator

Salem, VA – The Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation announced today that warrants have been obtained for Mr. D. Bradley Drawbaugh, Administrator and Chief Executive Officer of Highland Medical Center.

The investigation stemmed from an August 2009 complaint whereby Mr. Drawbaugh reported to the Highland County Sheriff's Office accounting irregularities uncovered during an independent audit of medical center records. During the course of the investigation, state police special agents discovered cause to investigate the authenticity of Mr. Drawbaugh's educational credentials.

Mr. Drawbaugh was arrested on December 22, 2009 in Highland County for fraudulent related offenses to include "obtaining money by false pretense" and the "fraudulent use of documents for the purpose of establishing a false status or occupation." A trial date has not been set at this time.

Re: And From the Highland Recorder

This highly personable, manipulative, smooth talking shyster almost got away with making himself the do all, be all of Highland Co. This train wreck was averted just in time to stop the next take over of another public service agency. You can only lie so much in a small locality before people start comparing your stories and eventually the red flags go up. FINALLY!! I know Buster Varner is on the HMC Board and hope he has enough foresite to know this man is NOT who the honest, trusting and hard working people of Highland Co. want representing HMC! Can we trust you and the HMC Board to do the right thing or are you also All Smoke and No Fire?

What would Buster Varner be doing on a medical board in another state?

Good question. Gail Price lives in Pendleton Co. WV and is on the board also. I believe this was a way to draw surrounding localities into the HMC service area. More numbers = More $$$$.

My crap detector is going bonkers!!!!!!!

La Salle Extension University (LSEU ), also styled as LaSalle Extension University, was a nationally accredited private university based in Chicago, Illinois. They offered degrees via correspondence. The school was in operation from 1908 until 1982.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 History
o 1.1 Mergers
o 1.2 Later years
o 1.3 After closure
* 2 Alumni
* 3 References

[edit] History

La Salle Extension University was founded by Jesse Grant Chapline in 1908, and was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois. It was originally located at 4046 Michigan Avenue (41st Street & Michigan). Early courses were business-oriented and included accounting and law. By 1911, LSEU was advertising that over 10,000 students had enrolled.

The university was an early pioneer in distance learning. LSEU was accredited by the National Home Study Council and the State of Illinois to grant academic degrees for completion of distance study programs. LSEU focused on business and vocational training, offering Associate's degrees and Bachelor's degrees, as well as a Bachelor of Laws degree during much of its operation.[10]

In 1937, the Federal Trade Commission ordered that LSEU cease and desist from representing that the school was a university.[11] The FTC found that "while many of the respondent's courses of instruction were of college grade, the institution itself was not a university and did not possess the qualities and attributes considered by educators and the public generally as requisites necessary to be possessed by an institution to make it a university or to entitle it to be designated as such."[12] The restrictions were eased a year later.[13]

In 1944, LSEU relocated its administrative offices to the Chicago Loop at 417 S. Dearborn Street.[14]
[edit] Mergers

Crowell-Collier Publishing Company acquired Macmillan Company in 1960.[15] In 1961, Crowell-Collier acquired LSEU.[16][17][18]

LSEU enrolled more than 100,000 students in 1969 and received approximately $50,000,000 in gross revenue.[19][20] In 1969, Crowell, Collier Macmillan, Inc. and other corporations with distance learning subsidiaries filed suit against the National Home Study Council for monopoly and restraint of trade.[21]
[edit] Later years

In the university's later years, the school became known for its aggressive advertising practices.[22] Most notable was the university's use of advertising on paraphernalia such as matchbooks, ink pens and pencils and in various types of magazines, with a grinning graduate and the famous headline "Look who's smiling now!" [23]

LSEU was involved in several lawsuits and counter-suits by the Federal Trade Commission over the law degree it advertised. In 1973, La Salle Extension University was charged by FTC (D. 5907) in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit "involving misrepresentations about obtaining law degrees through a correspondence course." [24] FTC ruled that the University be required to include a disclaimer in ads for its law distance program that read: "No state accepts any law home study course, including La Salle's, as sufficient education to qualify for admission to practice law."[25] La Salle Extension University closed its law school program in 1980 following the litigation involving the FTC.[26] La Salle Extension University's law school closed in 1980 and voluntarily relinquished accreditation of its law school program September 29, 1980.[citation needed]
[edit] After closure

After it closed, LSEU turned over records to the Illinois State Board of Education.[27] LSEU resources were absorbed into Macmillan Publishing Company, which was later taken over by Robert Maxwell in 1989.[28] Following bankruptcy, the assets were sold to Paramount Communications Inc. in 1994.[29] They eventually became part of Simon & Schuster in 1994. Pearson acquired the Macmillan name in America since 1998, following its purchase of the Simon & Schuster educational and professional group (which included various Macmillan properties).[30] Holtzbrinck purchased it from them in 2001.[31]

It's not about the Center getting more money.

The Highland Medical Center offers great services for low-income persons. You don't have to live in Highland County to take advantage of what the center has to offer. HMC has been trying to get the word out with ads in Pocahontas Times and mailed flyers to let our residents know these services exist at a much more reasonable price to low-income persons than is available here locally.

I understand Buster was asked to go on the board to help HMC get the word out to residents of Pocahontas County (and probably Gail to get the word out to residents of Pendleton) that these services exist.

Drawbaugh may have gotten the job under false pretenses, but he did a really good job in the time he served in improving services and getting financial support for HMC. As near as I can tell from these articles, he is not accused of taking money from them, but just getting his salary under false pretences. That certainly was wrong and he should suffer the legal consequences.

Again, Buster Varner is out there volunteering his time to help Pocahontas County residents and Norman chooses to criticize him for it.

Keep your nose out of Highland County Stinkwell!!!
You stir up enough crap over here in Pocahontas.

In response to Comments ignorance or inability to read the text, I would like to add that nowhere did I say anything about HMC's patient services, Buster or Gail's service to HMC by sitting on their board or anything in a negative manner about Highland Co. This is about the so called Dr. Drawbaugh and his hoodwinking the board along with various other people in high places in Highland Co. government. And yes it definately is about money. At this point, I'm not sure that HMC could be solvent without the numerous grant money (ie taxpayer $$) and stimulus funds that the great grant tapper has aledged to have acquired; if you can believe a word out of his mouth. This Highlander does not nor do a lot of others here. We haven't for a good while but it seems when you're dealing with politics, John Q. Public gets the last consideration. Lord forbid that We, the taxpayers, are savvy enough to identify a crook sooner than the powers that be. Guess you don't have that in Pocahontas Co. either. I also believe that as the investigation continues, you will see this is just the tip of the iceberg. Lay off Stinkwell. He's doing you a great service by informing you, John Q. Public & taxpayer, the status of your neighbors woes and how to learn from their mistakes so they won't be repeated in your county. Pay close attention to the costly Windmill mess and LEARN! Thank you Stinkwell! We need an e-tater forum in Highland to keep the taxpayers alerted to actions such as this.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!