toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
starving small owls

When we get a lot of snow on the ground small owls like the Screech Owl have a very hard time finding food. They can hear a mouse or vole under the snow, but cannot penetrate the deep snow to catch the food. Then when the snow either turns very wet of even gets a crust of ice hunting for these little guys is even more difficult.

I already have had a call about a starving screech owl Should any of you see such a wonderful little bird struggling please capture it with a towel or rag, put it in a box and call me.

Thanks,

Joel Rosenthal
304 653 4766

Re: starving small owls

We have been concerned about a lot of animals during this storm. Our usual deer finally started showing up yesterday but only 2 out of 5. A fox squirrel showed up this morning running and jumping on the house windows constantly to get our attention until we gave him some corn. We feed the birds. What other things can we put out to help feed the animals that are starving?

Thanks for your concern,

Putting out suet in a hanging wire basket will help lots of birds as will as wide variety of food as possible, even things like apples or oranges.

Deer in this snow will suffer. Many might starve if the snow lingers a long time. However, as crazy as it sounds coming from me, deer that starve actually help the overall population. We have far too many deer for the carrying capacity of the environment. Hunting hardly affects the population at all. Ironically if half the deer starved the other half would be better off. Also dead deer provide meals for lots of other animals, ie crows and ravens, eagles, raccoons, skunks, opossum, fox etc, bob cats, bears and coyotes.

Deer isolated to the forests can destroy all the undercover. Those with access to old grain fields, corn, wheat, barley, etc will do quite well in the snow

Here I have even put out the remains of several deer killed on the highway or by hunters. Right now crows are working on one such carcass and coyotes and eagles have worked on some of the others.

But I do hand feed grain to the deer I have raised here so that they will survive. One in particular, Blossom, has been here for 6 years and I am so happy when she comes in for handouts. She was just a fawn when I got her, but had two broken legs, was malnourished and full of fleas. For her to have survived this long makes all my efforts worth while.

While I care about our wildlife, healthy populations depend on the ability of some to survive stressful situations and for others to die. I will help any individual in need, but cannot monitor them all.

I just took in a Canada goose that was hatched here, but somehow injured its wing so that it cannot fly. With all the snow and the ponds frozen over I captured it, put it in an enclosure with food and water. In the spring I will release it again to be with all its other brethren who visit here.

I'd like to help feed the animals too, Joel. What kind of grain should I feed to the deer? Thanks in advance.

Snowflake,

Any grain will do, but I give them some scratch feed. It is not a good idea to give them too much since most are not used to having so much high protein food in their bellies. Too much could cause bloat.

Joel

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!