toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Free software giveaway for Windows

Reohix/Softpedia is giving away its Plantinum Guard 4.0.0 software for free in a Christmas giveaway. If you are currently running Windows you may want to have a look at this page:
http://www.reohix.com/platinumguardgiveaway.htm

No Registration Required, No Hidden Costs, No Third-Party Software Bundles. Reg cost is $13.99, don't know how long the offer will last.

Re: Free software giveaway for Windows

I would really like to do this, but are you sure it's safe and can be trusted ? I don't want to cause myself any computer problems.

I have other paid software that does the same thing, but seeing that this is free I decided to give it a try.
I downloaded the installer, ran it and set everything up, no warnings from my virus, spyware or malware scanners. Looks clean.
Seems to do a good job and is faster then the cleaner I use (Ace Utilities). The one thing it doesn't have is a registry cleaner, but in my opinion a reg cleaner can cause more trouble then it's worth so that might be a plus.
I like it.
And you can't beat the price!

Platinumguard Giveaway

Vicki
I would really like to do this, but are you sure it's safe and can be trusted ? I don't want to cause myself any computer problems.

This is one of the reasons I don't run Windows on any of my four machines. Everytime you run across some software that you'd like to try the questions around security and malware come up. With Windows having the majority market share of desktops they are the most attacked. Linux currently holds 30-40% of the server market with Unix and Windows the bulk of the rest. Some Linux units have been running non stop for many years due to their impenetrability and stability.

My most recent install of Zenwalk 6.2 (EXT4, kernel 2.6.30.5)took twenty minutes and everything functioned out of the box, no drivers to find and I mean everything, CD,DVD burning, printer, scanner, hot plugging of cameras, card readers, mp3 portable player, punched through the router and connected on line automatically.

I'm not knocking Windows but be aware that there are many fine alternatives out there and they are not difficult at all to install and learn to use. I run no anti virus software except for testing outside software and no malware prevention programs. I will confess to running a rootkit hunter monthly for 2 minutes, having never found anything.

This particular software (Platinum..) I downloaded the binaries and examined them with Claws and RKHunter both showing nothing so I posted the link. Still that may not be 100% satisfactory but now that Admin has installed and reported a clean bill you should be ok to grab it.

(By the way I'm at page 650 on the Dome
)

Professor
....My most recent install of Zenwalk 6.2 (EXT4, kernel 2.6.30.5)took twenty minutes and everything functioned out of the box, no drivers to find and I mean everything, CD,DVD burning, printer, scanner, hot plugging of cameras, card readers, mp3 portable player, punched through the router and connected on line automatically......

Linux Ubuntu 9.04 on mine, dual booting with Win XP. I have downloaded Zenwalk but haven't tried it yet.

It's nice not to have to worry about virus and stuff, but my MS Zune and Dell Axim PDA don't play well with Linux, (everything else does,) so I have to keep Windows around. for now..

Cool.
Never tried any of the *buntus but I hear they are good. I like xfce for the desktop and the new ver.4 is tough to beat. They say Shuttleworth is stepping down from Canonical in the spring, hope that doesn't affect the quality of any later works.. One nice thing about Zen is that most all Slacky packages work with it but their own repositories are very extensive with the Univ. of NC being a nice close mirror. It also uses the latest LZMA algorithims for compression which is really fast.

I would guess there's only a handful of people in the county who will get this;
SUDO

I run Ubuntu 8.04

It's really not that funny but it did crack me up for a couple seconds

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!