toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
trapped on cold knob

i have been told that there are people that are trapped on cold knob,national guard has tried to go get them but no luck,these people have enough food for one more day and gas for one more day,and snow is very deep up there and many drifts,say a prayer for these folks and their worried family members

Re: trapped on cold knob

Where is cold knob?

What you need is a snow mobile!

it is in greenbrier county out from richwood

...get a helicopter to save them.

So sorry to hear about these people being trapped, and upon a mountain at that. I hope and pray that they'll be rescued very shortly. Also praying that they'll be alive, and well whenever they are found. God Bless them!

Bandit - I am not sure about the visability for flying. It hasn't been the greatest and we are having more snow today. And for otheres - have the National Guard arrived here yet? And are there people without power here in the county? So far we have been lucky.

How could anyone get trapped on a mountain in a snow storm that everyone knew was coming 2 days ago?
It's winter in WV people. If you want to avoid getting trapped in a snow storm stay out of isolated mountain areas. Especially when you are given 2 or 3 days warning that a snow storm is on the way.

Tom, I've asked myself the same question. How can anyone be trapped in a snow storm, and upon a mountain at that. When it was all over the news and weather channel days in advance that a big snow storm was to arrive, and when. Why, would these people have gone upon that mountain at this time of the year is beyond me? How could they have not known that this storm was on it's way. Some people don't value their lives, or the lives of others, and some just don't give a care about anything, anymore. Like on Friday, several people throughout the county, mostly from the north end took off for Elkins, Christmas shopping. Can you believe it, of all days, and most of them knew that the storm was coming. I asked a couple of them, why in the world did you go to Elkins yesterday, {Fri.}? Their answer was well we've heard the weather man say it before it was supposed to snow, and it didn't happen, so maybe it won't snow today. That what I call stupid, plain stupid! Some people never learn!

could it be that those folks live on the mountain and dont have any other place to go ? or wait, i know, its bushs fault j/k. just like when the hurricane hit new orleans and it was bushs fault those folks didnt leave before it hit.

Superglide is right. There are people who live on the mountain near Cold Knob. Also, you have the windmill crews up there. They are using bulldozers, graders and snow blowers to clear the road up Donnegan Hollow (or the Saxman Road) from Richwood, You can access Cold Knob, Beech Knob and Kerless Knob from this road once it is clear.

You couldn't consider the people that live there trapped. The windmill crews should check the weather forecast.

I hope if people are trapped they are ok

but............
it is beyond me why people can't plan ahead a little.
Like on Thur or Fri - they knew the storm was comming - go get what you need for a few day - don't put other people lives at risk because you are do sorry to plan ahead.

We all had better pray for snow on Friday - not 40 and rain

4 of the 6 stranded men have been rescued by a timber company using their equipment by way of Richwood. They had to stop the rescue last night. They were to continue this morning. National Guard tried to access the hunters via Cold Knob roads, but were unable to.

You mean they spent all that time and money on equipment to rescue some hunters. I would have let them walk out.

So I guess what Tom is saying is if it was a cross country skier or tourist trapped all stops should have been pulled to rescue them, that they are more important than a hunter. The last big snow we had like this the Fire Department had to get up on Briery Knob and rescue people from the Cranberry Lodge, so what's the difference in a hunter or a tourist? No one human's life is more important than anothers. I've been on Cold Knob and surrounding areas and it is nothing for it to snow 2' up there and be no snow anywhere else. These people who were trapped may have been bear hunting or muzzleloader hunting and tried to get out but got stuck in the snow. It doesn't matter what they were doing there, their lives are just as important to be saved. Tom, I would like to see you trying to walk in 4' of heavy wet snow, maybe you would get stuck and people would say, why should we try to rescue 1 measly person?

There wasn't 4 feet of snow on Cold Knob.

If I'm ever stupid enough to go to cold knob when the weather service is predicting one of the biggest snowstorms in recent years to hit the area just leave me up there for a few days. It will melt before long.

I would love to put you on that mountain and see if you could walk off. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I pray to God that you don't need help one day because with your attitude you might not get it. If you don't know what you are talking about keep your mouth shut!!! That was my family and friends stuck up there and NO you don't know why they were there. It is none of your business why but alot of hard work by friends got them out thank god. Friends who did NOT run their mouths like you.

Some people are just not too smart. That's why others have to look after them. I'm sorry I didn't realize they are retarded.

You need to get a life you moron and thats all I will say. I will NOT lower myself to your standards God help you!!

Any cross country skier or tourist that has to be rescued from a snowstorm which they had two days warning that it was coming should be required to pay restitution for the cost of the rescue.
The same thing for the people at Cranberry Lodge.
Two days is sufficient time to leave the area.
I remember a time when skiers traveling to Snowshoe from the Charleston area ignored the warning signs on the Senic Highway and ended up stranded in the snow. Just because of their stupidity it cost thousands of dollars to rescue them. They should have been billed for the trouble they caused.

Your fellow man will always make some mistakes. Your fellow man will never live up to your expectations. Your fellow man will never see life the way you do. Your fellow man will never react to situations the way you do.

What do you do when this happens?

Lend a helping hand, it's called compassion. Sometimes it's just better to wrap your arms around someone and help them out rather than critize.

Please have some compassion for me when I screw-up.

Your fellow man should take responsibility for his own actions and not depend on others to save his ass everytime he makes a stupid mistake.

Expierence is the best teacher.

Just saw article online (( Charleston Gazette )) stating bear hunters were rescued on Cold Knob .... same people?

Published: December 22, 2009 09:28 pm

Seven trapped hunters rescued
By Jackie Ayres
Register-Herald Reporter

Seven bear hunters who were trapped on Cold Knob Mountain in last weekend’s snowstorm have been rescued without injuries, authorities say.

“We had approximately seven hunters that were in three different locations that were trapped. The snow hit them too quickly,” said Greenbrier County Emergency Services Director Al Whittaker.

Whittaker said rescuers were able to reach two of the three campsites of hunters late Monday. The remaining hunters were rescued from a third campsite around 4 p.m. Tuesday.

“They couldn’t get out because there was 36-plus inches of snow. Some places had snow drifts of about seven foot up there,” Whittaker said.

The elevation on Cold Knob is nearly 4,300 feet.

Officials said the hunters were able to make contact with a DNR officer via radio from their campsite Saturday afternoon.

A request was immediately put in to the state emergency operations center for tools to rescue the men.

Several initial attempts to reach the hunters with National Guard Humvees and snowmobiles were unsuccessful, Whittaker says.

The first two campsites of hunters were rescued with “large” equipment borrowed from Plumb Creek Timber Co. Monday night.

Around 4 p.m. Tuesday, Whittaker reported that the last set of hunters had been rescued.

“Everyone is safe and sound now,” he said. “None of them were injured. All of the hunters were doing fine.”

Although the men had food and water, Whittaker said, food supplies were starting to run low.

“I want to thank all of the agencies who assisted trying to reach the hunters.”

Residents from Marlinton, the Division of Highways and National Guard helped in the rescue.

Tom how do you know they knew about the upcoming storm? Do you not realize that people go to their camps for weeks at a time? It is more than likely possible that they were up before the announcement of the snow storm and most people that have camps up there do not come off, but take enough food and supplies to get through their intended stay period. Unfortunately, people like you make me sick. You have no respect for the lives of others, obviously, or you would have been concerned instead of nagging about them and how much smarter you think you are. Take note, bozo, that there were up to 7 foot drifts that had to be busted through to get to these people. I would pay every last red cent I had to see YOU oh high and mighty, walk through that, like you claim they should have. Get a life Tom. Oh yeah, get a heart too.

why don't you walk out . sounds like you could find your way out of alot of places with your head( smells like crap)

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!