This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pocahontas Times Reports on Durbin Sewer Issue

Wednesday December 09, 2009
Durbin council puts billing issues to bed

Suzanne Stewart
Staff Writer

Emotions were palpable as discussion led to sewage billing once again at Durbin Town Council Monday night.

But council members put the issue to rest after nearly four years of arguments and confusion, voting to bill all structure owners, regardless of occuapncy.

The town has struggled with the issue of structure owners not paying sewage fees for vacant buildings. Past administrations tried to enforce the sewer ordinance to no avail and were taken to magistrate, circuit and the state supreme court by several landowners.

Currently, the town is facing financial problems because of overdue bills. The fight has continued over whether or not to bill owners of structures that do not use sewage services. Around 50 people have not paid their bills because they are not using the sewage system.

Mayor Donald Peck mentioned a rate chart the Public Service Commission provided Durbin that illustrates different rates depending on the decision council makes.

The current rate for zero to 2,000 gallons is $19.50. If the town has a rate increase and continues to bill everyone, the rate would be $22.42. If the town chose to discontinue billing non-users who own vacant buildings, the rate would be $27.30. The final option is a flat rate of $37.88.

Arguments broke out as council discussed the issue of everyone being billed versus not billing the vacant homes, arguments broke out.

“I called Marlinton and talked to the mayor’s secretary concerning sewer and garbage fees for Marlinton,” recorder Paul Ransom said. “Garbage rates are charged on all buildings occupied or vacant. The sewage rates are charged as follows, flat rate is $38.67 on occupied or vacant buildings with water usage of zero to 2,000 gallons.”

Rick Barkley of the PSC added that WV Code states that all municipalities charge occupied and vacant buildings.

“It is stated in the bond book, you have to charge everyone that is connected to the sewer,” Barkley said. “If not, you can be in default of your bond and the bonding company will come in, take it over and will run it through a private business.”

Even with the laws stating clearly that all buildings, occupied or vacant, are to be billed, several owners of vacant buildings feel they shouldn’t have to pay, including councilmember Emma Grace Nottingham.

“You’ve got people on this council that don’t want to pay, they want to change that to one to 2,000 gallons so they don’t have to pay and they don’t care what happens to this town,” resident Buster Varner said.

“And I’m not going to pay it,” Nottingham replied. “People should have never been billed for empty houses in the first place.”

Trying to get the point across, Varner said the town is in danger of becoming unincorporated.

“If you drop those 50 people off that list, that’s $15,900 of revenue the town is going to lose,” he said. “Where are you going to make it up at? Where else are you going to get $16,000?”

Varner added that, if the town stops billing 50 people because their buildings are vacant, they will end up penalizing the residents who do pay their bills by increasing their rates.

“You’re going to make it up off the people that are paying their bills now,” he said.

Councilmember John Osborne, citing state code and the town ordinance, reiterated that all structures, occupied or vacant, are to be billed and he made a motion to continue billing everyone.

Although the motion was unnecessary, the council voted to pass the motion that the town will bill all buildings that are connected to the sewage system.

In other updates:

• Judy Fuller of the Durbin Library Board Committee updated council on the progress of the Durbin library/community center. Fuller said the Pocahontas County Commission gave the library an incentive, that if they can raise $20,000 by April 1, the commission will match it. The committee hopes to have the building up and under roof by Fall 2010. She thanked council for their continued support.

• Council is looking for a volunteer or volunteers to chair/co-chair the Durbin Days Heritage Festival. If anyone is interested in helping with the festival, they should contact the town office or Mayor Peck.

• Council is in the process of purchasing a security system for the town office. A resident suggested they contact the National Radio Astronomy Observatory about interference before purchasing wireless cameras.

Re: Pocahontas Times Reports on Durbin Sewer Issue

"But council members put the issue to rest after nearly four years of arguments and confusion, voting to bill all structure owners, regardless of occuapncy".
So, does this mean that every coalhouse,woodshed,ceLlar,outside toilet OR unattached garage as well as abandoned houses in Durbin will be charged a sewage fee? My point is this: the wording of the state code needs to be amplified or made clearer.It says that the town may charge vacant buildings(some towns nearby do not)for unused sewage connections.It does not say that they must. Also,bonding is to prevent embezzlement,not to ensure charging non-users. The exact wording and address of the bonding company should be posted on the forum.Secondly,incorporation does not depend on sewage fee payments.Nor does it have anything to do with financial stability of the town, since all sewage fees are to be used for maintainence,operation and expansion of the facility, not town expenses. Of course the users should pay more if more money is needed to operate the sewer. That seems more logical than making non users pay so that the users will have less to pay . That is tantamount to a grocer billing non customers so that his/her customers will pay less for their food. So to summarize: Sewage fees have nothing to do with the town,s solvency or governmental status, bonding is not connected to collecting from non users, the code is unclear, Users should pay but rates must depend on actual costs of operation of the sewer only.

The bond book states everyone pays. Down throught the years this has not been honored. The Sewer Ordinances states the same thing, that was not honored. The ordinances the bonds book and the WV codes all have been right there in black and white, but to those few it did not matter, they still went to court over it. So tell me what should change in this whole scenario.

As I sat in the Last Town Meeting, Councilman Jennings mentioned the Previous Council and Mayor forgave over $13,000 in unpaid Sewer Bills to several residents here in Durbin.?????

Isn't it strange the Pocahontas Times never mentioned anything about that $13,000 the previous Mayor and Town Council forgave to those residents. One of those previous Council members who voted to forgive this money is now the present Mayor.

Can we get an honest answer to why this was done????

Durbin council activities were once reported with great accuracy and completeness by a well educated, authenic journalist who would have never left out anything so important.
So, Durbin resident,I cannot answer your question.Sewer fees have become such an emotional, illogical issue in Durbin that you run the risk of an e-tater tongue lashing just for bringing them up These certain posters are great at name calling, but not so good at seeing both sides or understanding modern concepts of town government. Can you remember when the town was friendly, caring and neighborly?

Change the pronounced tendency to overlook the manner in which some nearby towns have handled this very issue; they do not charge for vacant houses and peace and goodwill obtain.As stated many times, the code says that towns may charge, but "may" does not mean "must". Also, look directly at the question of paying for something which you did not buy.I wonder how many would like doing so. The property owners litigated in the local court and won,but the town vengefully refused the fairness of this and then appealed to the circuit court where they won. The property owners then appealed to the State Supreme Court of appeals who would not hear the case. TOO bad,because they may have caught the flawed ,easily misunderstood wording.Also, what meeds changing is the high rate of utilities in Durbin.

What?
The bond book states everyone pays. Down throught the years this has not been honored. The Sewer Ordinances states the same thing, that was not honored. The ordinances the bonds book and the WV codes all have been right there in black and white, but to those few it did not matter, they still went to court over it. So tell me what should change in this whole scenario.

If this is the rule, why does surrounding towns not follow these codes, ordinances, etc. Please explain does Durbin have it's own special bond book, WV codes and ordinances twisted, written or pushed on the citizens by previous governing members. Or is it possible that the surrounding areas treat their friends, family, and neighbors fairly and with respect. Maybe Durbin should fix the down spout situation from all the houses that is contributing to the expense and up keep of the lagoon. Start fixing problems and not putting higher bills on the people.

Also I agree the town used to be run by educated, honest people. That in its self is a big part of the problem.

Resident 2
What?

If this is the rule, why does surrounding towns not follow these codes, ordinances, etc. Please explain does Durbin have it's own special bond book, WV codes and ordinances twisted, written or pushed on the citizens by previous governing members. Or is it possible that the surrounding areas treat their friends, family, and neighbors fairly and with respect. Maybe Durbin should fix the down spout situation from all the houses that is contributing to the expense and up keep of the lagoon. Start fixing problems and not putting higher bills on the people.

Since this issue has beeen in an out of the legal system don't you think the PSC, and the town's lawyers would have pointed this out, especially the PSC's attornery. How could the town forgive $13,0000? If town had bond books, WV codes, and ordinaces to back them up then why did they stop the legal process and do what they did. Can someone explain and tell the truth. Strange don't you think.

Also I agree the town used to have educated, honest people as its governing body. Lack of these skills is a big part of the problem. Seems like the town has gotten another puppet to carry out it's affairs. You can watch as he runs in circle with his papers in hand up the street and around town.

Your right back on the track that started all this nonsense. The Bonds book, the sewer ordinance, and the WV codes ( PUBLIC RECORD)are right there for anyone to read, why don't you try it, maybe you could learn the truth. The records have been there since the sewer was built in 1986. As for other towns charging for vacant properties, I believe Mr Ransom stated that Marlinton does charge for vacant properties and I am sure there are more towns that do just to survive.
As for the properties that were forgiven, that has to do with the Public Service Commission cases that was in conflict for 3 or 4 years. When the PSC finally said that the Town was the proper authority to make the decision, The Town stepped up and order inspections of the properties in questions and then honored the PSC cases. So I can see both sides of the dispute, but I do not understand why you keep avoiding the truth that is right there in front of you. Just because previous Mayors done it other ways, does not make it right.

If all buildings or structures are to be billed,does that include those uninhabitable?

"other towns charge vacant buildings {the sewage fee}
just to survive" Aha! sEwage fees are not to be used for survival of the town.: They are to be used for the utility maintainence , operation, expansion . That surely must be found in one of the aforementioned code books. Using sewage fees for other purposes is the main reason for the ever increasing costs of them.

The post does not explain or elaborate precisely what he/she means by the "truth" or" both sides". Also,the prior post definitely mentioned the exact wording and meaning of the code and it's ambiguities as well as the court's refusal to examine it.

So, the questioner has not had this legitimate question answered: Is there a sewage charge for all buildings? Which are excluded ,if any?

Stinkwell Tater

Suzanne Stewart
Staff Writer

Rick Barkley of the PSC added that WV Code states that all municipalities charge occupied and vacant buildings.

“It is stated in the bond book, you have to charge everyone that is connected to the sewer,” Barkley said.

if that is the correct wording stated in the bond book than i would dig up my sewer and disconnect from the main line at my property line so they could not legally charge me for a service that i'm not receiving.

I do not believe that anyone can disconnect legally.

Why not post the codes on here. Then go from there.

it doesn't matter, they sued someone who had been disconnected for over fourteen years. No water hooked up, no sewer hooked up. Still the town charged them and sued. So basically from the sounds of it, if you own property in the town and even have a doghouse on it you will be charged a sewer fee. It's a dwelling. Doesn't matter if it's hooked up or not, right?

That person should never have been disconnected. That was not legal.

They do not bill for Dog houses. HA

You should read up on the WV codes it might help you to understand. Might not agree with them but the law is the law.

uastferit
Stinkwell Tater

Suzanne Stewart
Staff Writer

“It is stated in the bond book, you have to charge everyone that is connected to the sewer,” Barkley said.

if that is the correct wording stated in the bond book than i would dig up my sewer and disconnect from the main line at my property line so they could not legally charge me for a service that i'm not receiving.

Mandatory sewer connection in the Town. A person has 30 days from the time he moves something in to connect/ If they have not connected they still can be charged.

is that a town ordinance?

Uasferit, You will be in for a "tongue" lashing on E tater with lots of name calling if you dare ask questions about the Durbin sewer situation.The town worthies like to claim something to be a state law that was actually dreamed up in Durbin.Good luck with your questioning.

No it is actually a WV Code.

The very strange history of Durbin
Uasferit, You will be in for a "tongue" lashing on E tater with lots of name calling if you dare ask questions about the Durbin sewer situation.The town worthies like to claim something to be a state law that was actually dreamed up in Durbin.Good luck with your questioning.

Maybe you need to back up and start reading the WV Codes a little more. I believe that they have been presented several occasions in the court cases. Is it that you do not want to know them, or you just don't agree with them? There are several laws out there I don't agree with, but still have to accept. I believe this case is one of those laws that has to be accepted.

I do not need advice on what to read. For the umpteenth time,if it were a state law that unoccupied buildings have to be billed, then nearby towns who do not charge when the occupants go to warmer climates in the winter would be breaking the law. And for backing up and reading the code ,perhaps you should do that yourself. It has been said numerous times that the code say that you may charge for unoccupied buildings. It does not say that it must charge. Again, the case should have been heard by the Supreme Court. The "kindly" folks in Durbin who appealed the magistrates findings did so out of spite against one or two citizens. The statement by one purporting to be a judge that the non-users must pay so that the users will have less to pay is shocking, disgusting. . This issue will be resolved when the town is forced to get out of the sewer business because of misuse of funds, instability, and inefficiency.

This sounds more like a tax than a fee for a utility service. Of course the town has no jurisdiction to levy taxes. The case needs to be heard by competent,neutral persons.The Commissioners of the county, maybe?

"very strange",i've not had the pleasure of an Etater tounge lashing yet and will continue to ask questions if i don't know or understand something. on the other hand, i also try not to make off the wall comments on subjects that i know nothing about...thus the reason for the questions. "what" states its a state code but no one has provided the proof or given the state code number that quotes where you have to be connected to a sewer within 30 days.

"off the wall"? Who makes such comments? I have a copy of the vicious remarks made by those who believe that citizens should pay for something not received.These statements are beyond shocking. I believe that the code is not as clear as it should be and that a sharp attorney would have won the case. I also know that other communities do not charge for vacant buildings in the way that Durbin does.When I say that sewer fees are to be kept separate from the other monies and used only for sewer expenses and expansion, I am quoting the words said to me by the state inspector. I have his business card . You will get some of the same taunting epithets, the same unkind remarks hurled at you.Your questions, however well meant, however salient, will not be answered.Too,if you have a good idea about solving the anger ridden issue,you will also be castigated. But again, "good Luck"

Come on people grow up. You must pay your taxes and other fees if you own property. Also, you pay for electric, phone, garbage, water if you are there all year or away in the winter months. I have to pay my taxes along with a silly fee to use the green boxes in the county all year. No problem. Don't like to pay for the green boxes use, but I own property and I have to pay for their use.

How many times have I seen the Durbin people back up a pickup and unload their trash in the green boxes. They don't pay to use them, like I have to, but they still use them. Thought that they pay for garbage pickup in Durbin or do they not pay any fees and have to dispose of their trash and get a free ride. Someone should look into this and put a stop to it. After all, we property owners that live outside a town such as Durbin have to pay for the green box disposal of trash. If you live in Durbin or elsewhere where trash pickup is SUPPOSED to be paid for, how can they use the green boxes without paying an additional fee.

uastferit

"very strange",i've not had the pleasure of an Etater tounge lashing yet and will continue to ask questions if i don't know or understand something. on the other hand, i also try not to make off the wall comments on subjects that i know nothing about...thus the reason for the questions. "what" states its a state code but no one has provided the proof or given the state code number that quotes where you have to be connected to a sewer within 30 days.

Since you are really interested and not just on here to stir. Here you go.
This can be found at West Virginia Legislature

By the way I am not dreaming this up as the previous poster suggest .

WV Code 8-18-22
WV Code 16-13A-9 (d)
Please read these code first, then compare it to the ordinance provision.

The provision in the Town's 1986 ordinance states, In short terms that There shall be collected by the Town of Durbin a sewer use charge application to all homes, businesses and other agencies which have sewer connections with the Town of Durbin.

US Laws, Codes, Statutes & CasesSupreme Court Center | US Laws | Blawgs.FM | BlawgSearch.com | Justia
Justia> Law> West Virginia Law> West Virginia Code> CHAPTER 8. — MUNICIPAL CORPORATIONS> §8-18-22. — Connection to sewers; board of health; penalty.
§8-18-22. — Connection to sewers; board of health; penalty. West Virginia Code All US State Codes

§8-18-22. Connection to sewers; board of health; penalty.
Regardless of whether a lot or parcel is within any municipality?s geographical limits, the owner or owners of any lot or parcel of land abutting on any street, alley, public way or easement on which a municipal sewer is now located or may hereafter be constructed and laid (whether constructed and laid under the provisions of this article or any other provisions of law) upon which lot or parcel of land any business or residence building is now located or may hereafter be erected, not connected with a public sewer, may be required and compelled by the municipality or by the board of health to connect any such building with such sewer. Notice so to connect shall be given by the municipality or by the board of health to the owner and to the lessee or occupant of such building. The owner or owners shall connect to the municipal sewer within thirty days after notice to connect has been sent by the municipality. Regardless of whether the owner or owners connect to such sewer, the municipality may bill the owner or owners of the lot or parcel and the owner or owners shall pay the municipality?s charge based on the actual water consumption on the lot or parcel. If the lot or parcel is not metered, the municipality?s charge shall be based on the municipality?s good faith estimate of the consumption on the lot or parcel.

anyone reading this could interpret this in many ways. as i read this, the word "may" gives me the impression that a municipality has the choice to require a business or residence to connect to a sewer utility if they use water. i can understand that because if they are using water, it would be reasonable to say that water has to be discharged somewhere. i see nothing in this code that "requires" a municipality to charge for vacant lots or buildings. If a dwelling is vacant and has no water useage i can't see where the municipality can charge as this code clearly states that the municipality charge on the actual water consumption.
the other part of my question was about the "30 days" to connect to the sewer. the owner has 30 days after notice to connect has been sent.
these codes are like reading and interperting the bible...each person has their view and understanding of what they read.
thank you for noticing that i in no way am trying to stir up anything...just trying to understand the issue.

Copyright © Justia - No copyright claim is made to any of the government data on these pages.

Company :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Contact Us :: Have a Happy Day!

Bartow Property Owner
Come on people grow up. You must pay your taxes and other fees if you own property. Also, you pay for electric, phone, garbage, water if you are there all year or away in the winter months. I have to pay my taxes along with a silly fee to use the green boxes in the county all year. No problem. Don't like to pay for the green boxes use, but I own property and I have to pay for their use.

How many times have I seen the Durbin people back up a pickup and unload their trash in the green boxes. They don't pay to use them, like I have to, but they still use them. Thought that they pay for garbage pickup in Durbin or do they not pay any fees and have to dispose of their trash and get a free ride. Someone should look into this and put a stop to it. After all, we property owners that live outside a town such as Durbin have to pay for the green box disposal of trash. If you live in Durbin or elsewhere where trash pickup is SUPPOSED to be paid for, how can they use the green boxes without paying an additional fee.

Common, do you really expect people in Durbin to understand this?

Uastferit, thank you for your fairness and logic.If you are a pocahontas resident who goes to Elkins,just stop in at the Mill Creek office of the Huttonsvills PSD and ask them how they handle this issue or call them ,Then go to the Town office around the corner on High Street and ask how the town solves the problem. Durbin used a similar process until the carpetbagger arrived and got a certain individual elected puppet Mayor. They destroyed goodwill and neighborliness. Under the old system,the sewer was maintained, the payments were met,the community was sound. We can see what it is now.

Bartow resident,what needs to be done about the trash issue? I was with an out of state group recently ,and one of them said that her town quit charging each home for garbage pickup and simply added a garbage tax which of course, all landowners had to pay. This settled the problem of people using the dumpsters of others.Do you think we should ask for that in Pokie?

State Code states

"the owner or owners of any lot or parcel of land abutting on any street, alley, public way or easement on which a municipal sewer is now located or may hereafter be constructed and laid" ...."upon which lot or parcel of land any business or residence building is now located or may hereafter be erected,...may be required and compelled by the municipality or by the board of health to connect any such building with such sewer"

The Code makes no distinction between occupied and unoccupied businesses or residence.

Common sense would tell you that the "business or residence building" would have to have a source of water, either from a public water system or private source, before it is required to be connected to the sewer system.
In most areas the sewer rate for a structure served by a public water system is based on the water meter reading while properties served by a private water source is charged a monthly flat rate.

This only states that if the sewer lines runs by your place in the Town Limits, you have to connect. Does not say that water has to be there,( but it is.) The debate is should a person pay if his water service is turned off? Which goes back to even if you have water service off, you can still flush with a bucket. The Town has a Traiff that states 0-2000 gallons set by the WV Public Service Commission. So they are many paying that do not use the water but once a year and not saying a word. A hand full are complainting and not wanting to pay. Which that goes back to the Uninhabitable places ( condemned ) do not have to pay. Any house that is livable has to pay, wheather the sewer is used or not. Anyone living in the Town limits is required to hook to the system if it flows by gravity. If pumps are required ( Town cannot afford this expense) than the owner puts a septic in at his own expense, but still pays for garbage and mainteance, just not sewer.

And who decides which houses are uninhabitable?Another thought.--- Money spent for legal bills and non sewer expenses could go towards connecting houses where there is no gravity flow, if such exists in such a hilly litttle town. If even one such house would have been connected every two years, the town would have them all connected by now and be enjoying increased revenue.The idea is to rid the area of septics which contaminate the ground water where houses are so close to each other.

This is an on and on issue. WHY? How about you tell the Town the best way to Handle the problems. You decide how much pumps cost and then decide what it would cost to maintain them, and lets not forget the people across the river, that some keep gripping about there septics, you decide how to hook them up to the sewer. Some places in Durbin are below the sewer grade, therefore must be delt with in other ways. Just how would you handle all these problems?

The same excuse has been used for years......... I would go see how other small towns handle the problem.Are you not exaggerating the cost of pumps? Pay for them in installments. Would it not be healthier if all were on the sewer? Can you safely drill awell in Durbin?

I think the PSD should take over the sewer system in Durbin and extend it to Frank and Bartow. The PSD is better qualified and experinced at running the system than the town.If the PSD ran it only the money coming from the customers would be spent on the sewer system and not four wheelers, trucks, etc.

Wv and it's Image
Uastferit, thank you for your fairness and logic.If you are a pocahontas resident who goes to Elkins,just stop in at the Mill Creek office of the Huttonsvills PSD and ask them how they handle this issue or call them ,Then go to the Town office around the corner on High Street and ask how the town solves the problem. Durbin used a similar process until the carpetbagger arrived and got a certain individual elected puppet Mayor. They destroyed goodwill and neighborliness. Under the old system,the sewer was maintained, the payments were met,the community was sound. We can see what it is now.

The statement about carpetbaggers is very true , it has changed the neighborliness of the entire county.
CC is an example.

Yea.wundering. I wish we had more citizens who would speak out on such an obvious need.You will get lots of posts. now . declaiming the great expense, some do not want the service,,Frank and Bartow have perfect septics that are inspected and never fail,it may be cows that contaminate the river----- these are a few. Thanks for the post.

act and fact
The same excuse has been used for years......... I would go see how other small towns handle the problem.Are you not exaggerating the cost of pumps? Pay for them in installments. Would it not be healthier if all were on the sewer? Can you safely drill awell in Durbin?

Other small towns stuggle just like Durbin. They go for rate increases in order to upgrade, or repair. check out the WV PSC cases each day, look for the small towns. Several every day going for something.

http://www.psc.state.wv.us

This web site will take you to the WV Public Service Commission home page. Scoll down to you find sewer rankings in West Virginia. Left side of sceen about middle ways down. This will give a list of all sewer systems in West Virginia and what they charge. Even The Town of Durbin.

The sewer issue has not been the cost as compared to other municipalities :it has been about the charge for empty homes. What do these people get for their money?

bystander
The sewer issue has not been the cost as compared to other municipalities :it has been about the charge for empty homes. What do these people get for their money?

The cost was questions with pumps. To upgrade or repair or add additional things would cost more than the poster suggest for the Little Town of Durbin that only scapes by on the revenue they have now.

To address your issue.
Yes some do set empty. Why not rent them out. Why have something that is never used. The ones that have homes as vacation places, never have complained about the costs. Its the local few that have these properties that are setting empty and not being used for anything.

Does the power company, the telephone company or gas company charge for houses that are disconnected from service?
It should be the same for water and sewer service.
They would all be considered a service for a fee so you should only pay for what you use.

What do the people get for their money if they are not connected to the sewer?

Tom
Does the power company, the telephone company or gas company charge for houses that are disconnected from service?
It should be the same for water and sewer service.
They would all be considered a service for a fee so you should only pay for what you use.

There are different rules for sewer services. Water service can be terminated, but sewer service cannot. It the connection is there , one may always flush with buckets or whatever. You and I plus many others have probably had to flush our toilets with buckets at one time or another.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!