toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I stopped smoking after 34 years, please pray for me because it's hard.

Today is my 3rd. day without a cig. Nicodine (spell) is very addictive. It is a drug that is very hard to overcome.
Has anybody ever chewed or smoked for this long & quit that has any advice? I'm having a hard time.

Re: I stopped smoking after 34 years, please pray for me because it's hard.

Take it day by day. keep thinking about all the money you will save and how much better you will feel. Think of something you really want to buy.Put the money you would spend on cigs each day in a jar.Everytime you want a cig. Look at the money. Before you know it you will be able to buy it.
GOOD LUCK

hey
Take it day by day. keep thinking about all the money you will save and how much better you will feel. Think of something you really want to buy.Put the money you would spend on cigs each day in a jar.Everytime you want a cig. Look at the money. Before you know it you will be able to buy it.
GOOD LUCK

Very good advice, Thank You!!

I smoked a pack and a half for 26 years and quit "cold turkey", and have been off them for about 18 years. It IS hard, there's no doubt about it but if you set your mind to it you can do it. There were times I could have yanked a cigarette out of a stranger's hand when I would see someone smoking, I would want one that bad. But I hung in there and stuck with it. Try a butter mint when you want a cigarette. That worked for me better than anything else. As expensive as cigarettes are today you could have that money saved for a big screen tv or something else to reward yourself in no time at all. Just take it day by day. You can do it!

I wish you the best of luck. Three days is quite an accomplishment after having been a smoker for so long. I know because I smoke and I want to quit but just the thought of trying is very intimidating.
I hope that I can gather the courage as you have. Please dont let it get you down if you slip a few times just keep trying and if you have gotten this far theres no doubt that you will eventually beat it in the long run.

I smoked my last cig on oct-28th-09 I know how you feel..but I.m doing pretty good now ,just hang in there and chew a lot of gum,,i want to eat all the time.I.m trying not to do that but its hard..smoking is worse than anything else to get off. good luck

Write down all the reasons you are quitting and read them several times a day.
It's going to be tough but the rewards of quitting are great and the bad consequences of failure are great.

My husband and I both quit at the same time after smoking probably 45 or so years between us. It is not easy - keeping busy and physically active helps tremendously - and a peppermint as often as you feel necessary! We stopped in the early 1980's because cigarette prices were going to raise to a little over $8 a carton and we thought that was outrageous and could not see a way that we could possibly afford them! Our chest x-rays now show no effects from smoking. Give yourself time; you literally do have to fight the devil to win it. You may gain some weight - that can easily be taken care of later because you will feel so much better without the nicotine. Staying physically active is necessary. Even by Jan. 1 you will see that it is not as difficult as today. Every day you go without a cigarette is a gift!!! YOU CAN DO IT! And we will remember you in our prayers!

I smoke out of pure boredom, because I don't date alot, plain and simple, because guys need dating 101 like the Women are Taking Over Thread suggested. Maybe if I got me a teddy bear to cuddle with every time I want a cigarette, that would work. I do like the money in the jar idea. All the money for the cigs would go to money for the tanning bed or better yet, a massage kind of relaxation for me!

Is there a place in Marlinton, on the turn, when you are going into Marlinton, that gives massages? I don't go to Marlinton too often. But, I thought I saw somethere there. What is the name of it? Maybe I could call to see how much massages are and I could drop a cigarette one by one to save to go get me one.

Good luck to you Champ! Hope I could slack off/stop too!

The folks at the Bed and Breakfast, Locust Hill. They have a lady and a gentleman. I have a great deal of respect for them. Try them!

Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Today is my 4th day smoke-free...
The comments from you all really helps.

Thank you for the information on where I can get a really good massage, Stinkwell Tater. I would love to get it from a lady, then it would feel respectable, and I could relax better. Also, congrats to Champ! You inspire me...with this info., maybe I can try hard to quit too!

I admire you for trying to kick the nasty habit. I hope you're successful at reaching your goal. I'll pray for you, good-luck!

Like Mark Twain said, “Quitting smoking is easy; I’ve done it a thousand times.” I must have matched Twain’s record for unsuccessful attempts before I finally had success thirty years ago. I wouldn’t smoke a cigarette for ten thousand dollars.

All smokers know in their hearts the many, many reasons to stop. They are simply addicted. And it’s a strange addiction. Tobacco really doesn’t give that much pleasure. There’s really no euphoria in a cigarette, no rush of pleasure when you light up. The first time you smoke there’s no fun in it. In fact, it makes you kind of sick. But once you’re addicted you really feel anxious when you don’t smoke. The anxiety goes away when you inhale that puff of smoke, and you start to connect the lowering of anxiety that comes with a cigarette with pleasure, forgetting that the anxiety is a product of the addiction. The tobacco companies did a number on you.

So, most people have to go through six months or so of withdrawal when they quit, sometimes more. Most gain weight. During the first month or so it’s hard to think of anything else.

But keep in mind it’s definitely worth it. It really does get better every day. You’ve gone through the worst days already. Life is much better without cigarettes. Millions have done it. So can you.

good luck ive tried several times .hope your stronger in that area than i am

Higher Ground
Like Mark Twain said, “Quitting smoking is easy; I’ve done it a thousand times.” I must have matched Twain’s record for unsuccessful attempts before I finally had success thirty years ago. I wouldn’t smoke a cigarette for ten thousand dollars.

All smokers know in their hearts the many, many reasons to stop. They are simply addicted. And it’s a strange addiction. Tobacco really doesn’t give that much pleasure. There’s really no euphoria in a cigarette, no rush of pleasure when you light up. The first time you smoke there’s no fun in it. In fact, it makes you kind of sick. But once you’re addicted you really feel anxious when you don’t smoke. The anxiety goes away when you inhale that puff of smoke, and you start to connect the lowering of anxiety that comes with a cigarette with pleasure, forgetting that the anxiety is a product of the addiction. The tobacco companies did a number on you.

So, most people have to go through six months or so of withdrawal when they quit, sometimes more. Most gain weight. During the first month or so it’s hard to think of anything else.

But keep in mind it’s definitely worth it. It really does get better every day. You’ve gone through the worst days already. Life is much better without cigarettes. Millions have done it. So can you.

Nobody has ever explained it this way to me, but it all makes very good sense...THANKYOU.

Today is my 6th day without a cig. I still think about smoking constantly, but it is getting slightly easier.
Also, I have to confess, I have been using snus tobacco pouches.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!