toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Animal Control Officer's Resignation Letter

To: retagriffith@frontiernet.net, "David Fleming" , martinsaffer@frontiernet.net
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 7:28:24 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Resignation

Sandy Mallow, Pocahontas County Animal Control Officer

HC 89, Box 13A
Durbin, WV 26264

(304) 456-5436

RE: Resignation

November 20, 2009

Effective December 31, 2009, I am resigning my position as Pocahontas County Animal Control Officer.

This past week, I became aware that an issue regarding my liability insurance policy was made known to the Council via an email sent to Sue Hellton by my insurance agent Ellen Galford. I was then informed by Sue Helton that I would be required to attend a public Commission meeting on Monday, November 23 rd to explain the matter.

I am appalled that a confidential and personal issue be made public, and even more appalled that I was never contacted by my insurance company in any way, shape or form requesting that the insurance company wanted an appointment to view my property. It was said that I had “refused” to allow my property to be viewed, and I contend that statement is false. Until I was contacted by Ellen Galford, by via email I had no knowledge that the insurance company wanted to view my facility.

I have not been successful in contacting my agent in order to discuss this matter with her in order to find a solution that will reinstate my liability insurance, and I have no intentions of attending a public Commission meeting and discussing the matter without having further knowledge of the allegations made against me.

I feel the Commission was notified of the issue out of spite in order to cause controversy and disgruntlement about my job performance, and I am further appalled that I have not been given the courtesy of being offered an opportunity to correct the issue with my insurance agency before being put on public display and made to justify a matter I had no prior knowledge of.

In the years I have provided Animal Control services, I have never been bombarded with requests to appear before the Commission the way I have been this year. It is a constant barrage of requests to justify my actions and to explain situations that have been blown out of proportion, and to also provide explanations of misquotes and flat-out mistruths. For instance, I have been accused recently of “not taking in animals” due to “lack of space.” Those mistruths were publicly printed in the local newspaper and broadcasted on a local radio station without being verified. I was forced to confront my accusers in a public meeting rather than being given the courtesy of a private conversation with the Commission. In addition, I have been slandered and ridiculed on the local community forum, Etater. As a result, I was publicly denigrated and my reputation as Animal Control Officer besmirched.

By the same token, there have been numerous occasions that I wished to be included in Commission meetings in order to discuss Animal Control Officer business, yet someone “forgot” to call and inform me of the date and times of meetings, yet other persons with vested interest in Animal Control Officer issues were called and informed of meetings.

Another example of issues regarding Commission meetings is, during a recent and contagious illness, I was told by Mr. Fleming that it would be best if I did not attend a Commission meeting, due to the fact that I could possibly infect others with my illness. Afterwards, I was informed that Mrs. Helton, who was in Foodland in Marlinton after the meeting, had been gossiping about me, along with a member of the Pocahontas Humane Society, and was quoted to say that “Sandy Mallow was well enough to come by the Courthouse and pick up her check, so she should have been well enough to attend the meeting.”

The constant maligning of my character and the impediments placed before me by certain members of the Commission and also citizens of the County has created a hostile working environment that I can no longer tolerate mentally or physically. Persons bent on what I feel is retribution have shot and killed animals on my property, and have also spread discontent throughout the community in regards to my job performance. Not only is my reputation been tarnished, but my health is being affected, and also the safety of myself, my family and the animals I own are being compromised.

I have been told by members of the Commission that I am doing an exemplary job as Animal Control Officer, yet those same persons are not willing to provide me with the materials I request, in a timely fashion, to make my job more efficient.

Despite following Commission directions in July to provide a detailed proposal and material list for containment cages, which was approved by the Commission and thought to be in the process of being ordered by the

Commission, I was recently asked why I “hadn’t ordered” the containment cages. It is ridiculous to expect that I would have the funds readily available to order such an expensive item. In addition, by the time it is ordered and delivered, cold weather will have set in and I would be forced to try to assemble and mount the cage, in inclement conditions, on a concrete pad which hasn’t yet been poured, due to the fact that the Commission delayed that item for so long that summer and fall has passed into winter and the climate isn’t conducive to pouring concrete.

Those are just a few of many examples of why I feel it is not in my best interest to continue employment as Pocahontas County Animal Control Officer.

I thank you for providing me the opportunity to serve my community for 14 years and wish you only the best in your future endeavors. As of December 31,2009 I will no longer be the Animal Control Officer or taking in any county animals.

Sincerely,

Sandy Mallow

Re: Animal Control Officer's Resignation Letter

Susie Q is a pain in the back side of anyone who has to deal with her.

some one need to knock her off her high horse

Oh my Heavens, that is so sad, You have always been there for the animals Sandy, But lets see who will step up to the plate now, Well for them it will be about the money, not the animals as it has been with you,,,

Sandy,

I have always known you to be a courteous, dedicated, underpaid, informative, caring person in regards to the handling and care of animals in Pocahontas County.

The compensation you have received does not come anywhere close to the work you have done above and beyond the call to duty.

It is amazing that you should be treated in such a shabby manner. Shame, shame, shame on all those who have tried to demean you, slander you and take advantage of you.

With your resignation now the burden will fall to the sheriff's dept. since abandoning and maltreating any animal is a violation of the law. I do hope Sheriff Jonese will now step up to the plate and arrest anyone who will not take care of their own animals. If the jails fill with these people I will not care one bit.

The entire county owes you a debt of gratitude. The county commission has only demonstrated its perverse, obscene ability to procrastinate and bicker over matters like this. No wonder few have confidence in any of their abilities.

In some way I do hope they all come crawling to you and beg you to stay with public statements. I doubt very much if anyone can come close to filling your shoes.

Please keep us informed as to what happens and of your future.

Congratulations to all of the people mentioned in Ms. Mallow's resignation letter who caused her so much grief that she decided to resign. You've signed, sealed and delivered a DEATH SENTENCE for the County stray animals. Because of YOU, when stray animals are picked up, they will be EUTHANIZED instead of being housed at Sandy Mallow's facility until an adoptive home can be found for them.
Sandy Mallow used her ANIMAL RESCUE FACILITY to find adoptive homes for the hundreds and hundreds of unwanted, neglected and abused animals of this County. Now that you've run her off, what do you think is going to happen to the hundreds and hundreds of future unwanted, neglected and abused animals? You can believe that the County is not going to house stray animals until they are adopted! They will be euthanized according to State Law, which is FIVE DAYS after being picked up by the ACO.
There is NO FACILITY here in this County which can house stray animals indefinately...until they can be adopted out. Sandy Mallow didn't care about the large amount of money it takes to house animals until they can be adopted. She worked her ass off to find sponsors for the unwanted animals at her rescue, and those sponsors donated the money it takes for immediate Vet care, medications, food and boarding. Unlike Sandy Mallow, the County will have no sponsors to fund the care of the animals, so they will be put to sleep if they aren't claimed within five days.
There is a whole lot of talk about the Humane Society and their non-existant "State of the art facility," and that's all it is...TALK. They TALK AND TALK AND TALK, but bottom line is nothing ever gets done. Sandy Mallow didn't TALK, she DID.
While everyone else who proclaimed to "care about animals" sat around and yakked about what needed to be done about the unwanted, neglected and abused animals in Pocahontas County, Sandy Mallow was DOING what needed to be done for those animals, and was never given a lick of credit for the hundreds of animals she saved.
So again, congratulations. When you lay your head down to sleep at night, instead of counting sheep, count the many dogs and cats that your actions have sent to the death chamber.
Sweet dreams...

for a moment there, i thought i was reading about Obamacare!!!

I am familiar with Sandy and supported her work. The community will lose a compassionate and competent animal advocate, I am saddened to hear of this development.

Regardless why she quit, it's the best thing that could have happened. Now the county can get a real animal shelter.

Well who are we suppose to call now to get animals?

The county commission and government of this county need to step up and take responsibility for stray animals in this county. They'd be happy to let the volunteers of the humane society spend their time and money to do it for them. Sandy's resignation may finally make the CC realize what they should have been doing all these years. WV and Pocahontas County in particular, are 50 years behind in their custodianship of animals. Perhaps the Attorney General needs to be called in to investiage the matter. And Sandy - people wouldn't have known half of your story if you had not gotten on tater and spilled your guts.

&%*#%Death Sentence for County Strays
Congratulations to all of the people mentioned in Ms. Mallow's resignation letter who caused her so much grief that she decided to resign. You've signed, sealed and delivered a DEATH SENTENCE for the County stray animals. Because of YOU, when stray animals are picked up, they will be EUTHANIZED instead of being housed at Sandy Mallow's facility until an adoptive home can be found for them.
Sandy Mallow used her ANIMAL RESCUE FACILITY to find adoptive homes for the hundreds and hundreds of unwanted, neglected and abused animals of this County. Now that you've run her off, what do you think is going to happen to the hundreds and hundreds of future unwanted, neglected and abused animals? You can believe that the County is not going to house stray animals until they are adopted! They will be euthanized according to State Law, which is FIVE DAYS after being picked up by the ACO.
There is NO FACILITY here in this County which can house stray animals indefinately...until they can be adopted out. Sandy Mallow didn't care about the large amount of money it takes to house animals until they can be adopted. She worked her ass off to find sponsors for the unwanted animals at her rescue, and those sponsors donated the money it takes for immediate Vet care, medications, food and boarding. Unlike Sandy Mallow, the County will have no sponsors to fund the care of the animals, so they will be put to sleep if they aren't claimed within five days.
There is a whole lot of talk about the Humane Society and their non-existant "State of the art facility," and that's all it is...TALK. They TALK AND TALK AND TALK, but bottom line is nothing ever gets done. Sandy Mallow didn't TALK, she DID.
While everyone else who proclaimed to "care about animals" sat around and yakked about what needed to be done about the unwanted, neglected and abused animals in Pocahontas County, Sandy Mallow was DOING what needed to be done for those animals, and was never given a lick of credit for the hundreds of animals she saved.
So again, congratulations. When you lay your head down to sleep at night, instead of counting sheep, count the many dogs and cats that your actions have sent to the death chamber.
Sweet dreams...

I hope Sheriff Jonese is happy. He appears to want to take over everything. First it was the Snowshoe security; now he appears willing to let the hardest working Animal Control Officer go without even a word. Jonese can't do everything and we are going to be in a mess of trouble without Sandy!!

This county is in for a rude awakening on how much $$ Sandy has saved them over the past 13 years. Now all the animals are destined for death. No doubt. There will never be one as hard working as Sandy. So all those out there, if you give a **** about your dogs and cats, you better get them fixed and you better keep up with them. It could be your pet that you can't find and when those 5 days are up, they'll be dead because you didn't get a hold of someone in enough time to see if they had your dog. I hate it for the animals. That is the saddest part of all.

Pretty soon, the only thing Jonese and his cronies WON'T control in this county is Etater!

"I became aware that an issue regarding my liability insurance policy was made known to the Council via an email sent to Sue Hellton by my insurance agent Ellen Galford"

If I were you I would contact the State Insurance commissioners office about this.

Hello Pocahontas County:
**** this thread sounds and smells like the “STAGED EVENT” Norman created with Sully and his TOTY Wife to make the “School Board” look foolish.

NORMAN’S RECIPE OF DISASTER:
Create Drama and construe it and throw the closest elected officials who Norman has a problem with in the middle to discredit their character.

I like to keep history in context. We need to realize what is going on around us and how it is all interconnected. I consider Sandy Mallow to be the Mother Theresa of Animal Control Officers. We are losing a good person who cared about the animals.

Let's not forget that the sheriff had a dog penned up behind the jail for some time!!! Frankly, I can't see him as an Animal Control Officer! He's too busy selling rocks to do that job too!

I heard that Jonese is on the Board of Directors at the global headquarters of Etater international.
All this is just a hostile attempt to force him off the board.

Sorry, WVU Alumni, but Norman didn't "stage" this event. Fact is, Sandy Mallow DID resign, and that is a true copy of her resignation letter...or did you not notice the email addresses the letter was sent to, along with the date and time it was dispatched? Norman had nothing to do with putting Sandy's resignation letter on Etater...I DID. Nor am I Sandy Mallow.
If you still have doubts regarding the validity of the letter, then trot yourself down to the courthouse and ask Martin Saffer, David Fleming, Rita or Sue Helton to show you the original. If you aren't willing to do that, then you have no right to make claims about "creating drama" or "discrediting" the "character" of "elected officials."
Furthermore, I don't appreciate you trying to detract from the seriousness of this issue by trying to start a flame war. The only person looking "foolish" is you, and if you have something intelligent you want to say regarding the topic of this thread, then by all means, fire away. However, if you have a problem with Norman and want to state moronic opinions about him and his wife, then start your OWN THREAD and BIT@H about them all you want.
The initial email from Ms. Mallow's insurance carrier has a disclaimer that states it can't be published. So I won't. It says: "EXXXXXXXX XXXXXX"
Underwriter
Commercial Lines
800-624-3422
Fax 304-429-7248

This electronic message contains privileged and confidential information. IF IT WAS SENT TO YOU BY MISTAKE, DO NOT READ IT. Instead, please notify the sender (or ttooley@bloss-dillard.com) by reply e-mail, and delete this e-mail. Unauthorized dissemination, forwarding or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited"

I can, however, post the subsequent emails since they did not have a privacy clause.

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: E Galford
Sent: Fri, November 20, 2009 7:40:15 PM
Subject: Re: LAST CHANCE ANIMAL RESCUE CPS1068636

Ellen
I called your office on Thursday morning about 8:30am when I received your email and asked your secretary to have you call me . I have never received a call and when I called back, no one would answer the phone . tell the insurance company to cancel the insurance as of DEc 31,2009. I am resgining my position as Animal Control Officer and will be closing the doors on Last Chance Animal Rescue until I can find my own rescue insurance .Thank you Sandy Mallow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: lastchance_rescue@yahoo.com
Cc: Sue Helton Court House
Sent: Wed, November 18, 2009 12:43:11 PM
Subject: FW: LAST CHANCE ANIMAL RESCUE CPS1068636

Sandy, I received this email today. The attachment shows the attempts they have made to contact you. If we can assist you in any way, please don't hesitate to call.

Ellen Galford
Agent/Broker
Hannah Insurance Agency
Pocahontas Realty - www.pocahontaswvrealty.com
1-304-799-4614 or 1-800-346-3982

Well, that went well.
Regardless why she quit, it's the best thing that could have happened. Now the county can get a real animal shelter.

The best thing for WHO exactly? Sandy did a fantastic job at taking in all of your unwanted animals over the past 14 years or so. You know, all those animals that when they got old you all decided that it was HER responsibility to have them put to sleep because you all didn't want to pay for it or because you couldn't go stand to watch your pet die? Or how about all of the cats that you all allowed to breed over and over throughout the years that she had to go pick up loads of kittens from you all over the years. Oh and what about the dogs and cats or other animals that you all decided to neglect and not take to a vet to get help? Instead you allow them to lie in pain and then when you figured out that they weren't going to heal on their own you either called Sandy to come get them or you ended up getting called on and complained about until it was necessary that, by law, she had to come out and see the animals. Funny thing is about that situation is that you all blamed Sandy for any repercussions you had from your own neglect. Now I'm so sure she called ya'll up and said, "Make sure you starve that animal almost to its' death so I can come out and take it from ya." Yep, that is what she did right? It wasn't her fault that you people don't know nor care about the animals that YOU decided to take in yourself. Oh and don't holler about them being strays, cause you still had the option of taking them or calling Sandy to come get them, but you didn't and you kept them on your own free will.
Sandy came a long way from when she first took on this job. She tried her best for all the animals involved to do what was right for them. She didn't get to pick and choose what came into her care. She had to take all your mixes in that had mange, heartworms, other infestations of worms, flea, broken legs, etc., in and care for them and choose what is best for each situation. She didn't get to look and say, "Oh here is a purebred and I think I'll take it, sorry mutt but I can't take you, nor you cause you're a mixed breed cat. Oh but there! Now there is a fine Siamese. I take you." You all are nuts if you think that is what she did. She also didn't get to walk away like so many of you all did when it was time to needlessly kill an animal just because you didn't want it. No. She stayed by its side until it took its last breath. She watched it look up into her eyes, trusting her, not knowing that she was the one that was going to hold it while it died in her arms while someone injected it with something to make it sleep forever. Hundreds of times she has had to do this. Where were their so-called loving owners that cared so much that they just allowed their animals to be turned over because they decided it was too old and they wanted to get a puppy or a purebred instead of that lovely little mutt that loved its family so much? Where were you all and why didn't YOU hold your own dog or cat and allow it to look up into your eyes while it died? TELL ME THAT? I applaud Sandy for being able to do the job she has for so long! She did something that I could never have done. She had a heart as big as the US for animals and did everything she could for them and then you ass holes want to sit and talk about her over the years? You disgust me. God only knows how much I wished she wouldn't have quit, because I know that the animals will go back to a 90% death rate again like it was years ago, but for her own life and her family's she did the right thing. I hope that any of you from here on out that find yourselves in trouble over neglecting your animals, I hope you rot inside of a jail. I hope that for once in this county that the law enforcement will take this serious because it is not fair for animals to have to suffer at the hands of pure idiots that care about nothing but themselves. I hope you all are more than happy that with all of your complaints and accusations that the animals will go back to dying left and right and won't have a chance. Good for you. Give yourselves a standing ovation! You won! You're a bunch of hypocrites who liked to bash Sandy behind her back and then when you ended up needing someone to help you with an animal, who did you call? SANDY MALLOW!
Sandy I applaud you and commend you for the wonderful person you are to the animals and for what you have done for them. I'm more than sorry to see you quit your job, but I know it was something you had to do. I hope that one day the people in this county will realize what an assett you were and I pray that the animals in this county will somehow be ok, although I know they will not. You have been a very dedicated person to the welfare of the animals and you learned over the years that you put the animals wellbeing over ticking someone off. Animals over the people. The noncaring people. Sounds perfect to me. I wish you the best of luck with your life and your future and want you to know that you will be sadly missed as the Animal Control Officer of this county. The animals will surely miss you, as many as you have saved, as many as you have changed their lives around, as many as you have cured, and as many as you have kissed goodbye to. You were the last gentle touch many ever had. God bless you.

its about time Sandy Mallow gave up the animal shelter job. Now maybe someone will get in there and take care of the poor help less animals right. And use the money on the homeless animals not her own animals. I'm sure there there someone out there who really cares.

To about time and others like you:

I have kept quiet for years (because Sandy wanted me too) and watched people like you bad mouth her and now that Sandy has decided to resign I can tell every one of you what I really think. You and people like you are the reason Sandy resigned, finally. You don’t know anything about what Sandy did or didn’t do. You just want to spout off at the mouth about something you know nothing about. I have been urging her for years to quit because of people like you. Unless you walked in her shoes you can’t imagine what she has sacrificed for the animals or for the stupid uncaring people of this county.

Sandy has dedicated the past 13 years to caring for the animals of this county. She spent endless hours finding good homes for these unwanted animals. She had to use money out of her own pocket to pay for food, medicine and vet bills for the animals, because she was only given $600 a month to feed, vet and maintain the care of the animals of which at any one time she would be caring for over 30 animals. More than once one animal’s vet bill alone was over that amount. And just a note most of the time she was not reimbursed by the county or anyone else for these vet bills. A lot of the time more than half of her so-called pay, went for expenses to care for the animals. When you get paid do you have to spend your own money to do your job? I think not. You said she spent the money to take care of her own animals well don’t you spend your own money to take care of your own animals or are you one of those people who expect someone else to do that. I know exactly what her expenses were every year, you don’t. Every one of her so called own animals, are ones that she has rescued from the wonderful people of this county who don’t care a rats ass about the animals.

I have a few questions for you. Did you spend three days in the hospital because some jerk let his vicious dog loose on you while you were trying to do your job? Did you have people calling you when you were in the hospital having a cesarean, or when you were so sick with pneumonia you couldn’t even get out of bed, or when you needed to be at home taking care of your sick son or husband? I don’t think so! No people like you still called and expected her to pick up your unwanted animals. Do you get benefits at your job? Do you get holiday pay, sick pay or vacation pay or even able to take a vacation? She didn’t. For the past 13 years, every time she even tried to take a few days off she was getting calls from people like you wanting her to take care of their problems right that minute. Have you spent hours in court trying to make people responsible for their own actions when they neglected or abused animals and not get paid for it? I think not! Did you have to spend hours cleaning kennels, feeding and watering over 30 animals a day in all kinds of weather? I think not. Did you get phone calls in the middle of the night because someone’s dog was barking or crapping in a neighbor’s yard? Did you get calls on holidays when you are trying to spend time with family? I think not. Did you have to go out in the middle of the night to get an animal that someone had whom had just gotten arrested? Did you get threatened on the phone or have people get in your face while law enforcement stood by and laughed when you were trying to do your job? I don’t think so. Have you had people drive by and shoot your son’s horse out of spite or just pure hate and have the law do nothing? Have you had people trespass on your property and poison or outright kill other animals in your care? I think not. These are just a small sample of what she has put up with over the years. So don’t make out like you know anything about what she did or didn’t do.

I am so glad she decided to resign for her own health and well-being. I have watched her health and well-being go down hill because of the people she has had to deal with, but I will tell you this, she didn’t make this decision easily. Before coming to this decision she spent many a sleepless night worried about what will happen to the animals if she resigned. When she took this job over 13 years ago it was because she was tired of seeing people just abandoned or worse just killed the animals because they just didn’t want them anymore. She has worked diligently for so long to get to where more than 90% of the animals she took in she was able to find homes for and not have to see them put down. She did this on her own with the help of just a few really good caring people. She never really had the backing of the Humane Society (who I might add some of their members spent endless hours bad mouthing her instead of trying to make her job easier). She has decided to keep operating her non-profit animal rescue, but she will not be taking in the county strays, this will be left up to the county and Humane Society to deal with. If people for good reasons need to find homes for their animals she will help them all she can. She is just sick and tired (literately) of dealing with people like you of this county.

To the people of this county who have supported Sandy over the years I say thank you. I have always believed that what goes around comes around so to the rest of you I hope you get exactly what you deserve and hope that the animals are not the one’s who will suffer.

So, “About time” and others like you, the next time you want to spout off about something you know nothing about, find out the truth first. I do know the truth because I have lived it with her.

Sandy’s Mom

http://www.wvinsurance.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=QXo3xAJCVVw%3d&tabid=168&mid=609

OK county where is the dog shelter at come on let's go.You thank it is easy shown me.Let's see if you can do it cheaper,and better.Dogs, cats and animals are waiting.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!