toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Humane Society

A recent article in the Pocahontas Times claims that the Humane Society will be opening a "State of the Art" facility in an "Undisclosed location" sometime during the next year. The property supposedly is "Undisclosed" because the "loan" for the property hasn't been "Approved."
If that's the case, what will be done with the property that the County Commission gave to the Humane Society for the purpose of building a shelter? The Humane Society isn't going to utilize the property that was GIVEN to them by the Commission for a shelter, and my opinion is that they obtained it under false pretenses and will be unjustly enriched if they choose to sell the property.
Secondly, I have an issue with a Non-profit organization that requires the County to shell out a minimum of $85,000 per year in addition to paying the salary for a "Shelter Director." The Commission, according to the newspaper article, currently has a budget of $20,000 for the purpose of Animal Control, which is the salary of the ACO plus the stipend the County budgets for animal care.
If the County can provide a salary and maintenence stiped for the past 13 years for a paltry $20,000, why on Earth would the Commission even consider paying $85,000 for the same service? Not to mention that if the Humane Society goes down the tubes, the County will have sunk hundreds of thousands of dollars into a project that it doesn't even own!
Since the County will not own the building or land of the "State of the art" facility, the County will be back to square one...without its own facility when this chapter of the Humane Society goes bust.
Instead of dicking around with a group of people who seem to aspire to bilking the County out of our hard-earned tax dollars, wouldn't it be better in the long-run to spend an initial $85,000 and build a shelter facility that is OWNED by the County and OPERATED by the County?

Re: Humane Society

I'd really appreciate an answer, Mr. Saffer or Mr. Fleming. I know you both read Etater, so how about a comment on this issue?

Re: Humane Society

"Undisclosed location" is a code word for very, very private deal which you most likely would think stinks if it were disclosed. Somebody's got their paw out to make a buck off the taxpayer!!!!

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!