Author
Comment
Robert Alkire II News Article

State News
Monday November 30, 2009
W.Va. police officer gets second chance
by The Associated Press
Advertiser

RONCEVERTE, W.Va. -- A former Pocahontas County police officer who resigned after firing his gun during an argument with a girlfriend has found work with the Ronceverte Police Department.

Robert Alkire II pleaded guilty in March to a misdemeanor charge of brandishing a weapon. Following the November 2008 incident, he resigned from the Pocahontas County Sheriff's Department.

Special prosecutor Dan Dotson says Alkire didn't fire the gun at anyone.

Ronceverte Police Chief Michael Smith says a misdemeanor doesn't prevent someone from getting a job as a police officer.

Smith also says Alkire was the only job applicant to be certified as an officer, which saved the town about $3,500 in training and other expenses.

More Articles in State News « Previous Article in State News Next Article in State News »
Comments (5) on "W.Va. police officer gets second chance" Post Comment
Posted By: rwc (1 hour ago)Report Abuse wonder if they are going to shed light on the two that was thrown off Summersville Police for sexual harassing female drivers,then hired in another small town,only to continue to do the same thing.
Posted By: raving_patriot (2 hours ago)Report Abuse Wow, they re-hired this hot-head to save 3500 bucks. Next time you get into an argument with someone, maybe you ought to pull out a gun and fire it for more effect, knowing now that it is only a misdemeanor. Maybe you will be rewarded too. Seriously - if you fire your weapon out of anger you should not be allowed to carry one, at least professionally.
Posted By: conniesloan (4 hours ago)Report Abuse Sorry, meant to say RONCEVERTE, W.Va., not Hinton.
Posted By: conniesloan (4 hours ago)Report Abuse If that had been anyone else they would have been charged with domestic violence but instead his police buddies protected him with a misdemeanor charge and then the PA chose not to get an indictment by the Grand Jury. Any PA can get an indictment if he wants one, or vice versa. Now this guy with an obvious mental condition has a license to carry a gun and is now turned loose on society. And why is being a sharp shooter necessary in Hinton? To shoot a errant deer or racoon. Give me a break. Just one more example of why cops in small towns &*@! big time.

Re: Robert Alkire II News Article

His daddy, the sheriff, said he had a "medical condition"

It is a relief that Greenbrier County has him now and not us.

Of course, we recently learned that one of our finest was indicted in 2005 for stealing radios at a car auction. He was stripped of his Ky certification. And another of our finest is on administrative leave because he was arrested for forgery and counterfeiting. Greenbrier's Patrick Via was appointed to prosecute him but we hear that he is going to let him go.

Boy, we have some lu lus in Pocahontas County.

you may be rid of alkire as a cop in your town but he still has a permit to carry anywhere in the state. just hope he doesnt get another girlfriend or gets po'd at someone in your town. it aint that far a drive from there to your town. he shouldve had his right to carry taken away completly not just moved to the next town over so to speak. like i said before ,sounds like the sherriffs in the area need to use the barney fife method, give em one bullet and make em keep it in their pocket!

i understand the federal prison system has plenty of people looking for jobs perhaps the sheriff can pick up a few as thy are released

I see that my message was deleted from yesterday, so I just wanted to say that I am praying for his family... that's all! no matter what he did or does, I hope that you guys are taking things out on them. They haven't done anything wrong, so let's not forget that.... He has a great family who have been tremendouly embarrassed by this whole thing.

old buddy
I see that my message was deleted from yesterday, so I just wanted to say that I am praying for his family... that's all! no matter what he did or does, I hope that you guys are taking things out on them. They haven't done anything wrong, so let's not forget that.... He has a great family who have been tremendouly embarrassed by this whole thing.

And where might have that "message" been? I haven't removed anything in a week.

forget the gal pal, is his divorce final?

just wait till they see what that 3500 in training actually cost them in the long run.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!