Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Google Earth

Has anyone ever used Google Earth? http://earth.google.com/
They have some nice things in Pocahontas County. Make sure to turn on "Street View", they have recently added a whole lot more of them all over the county.

Re: Google Earth

I have! I'll see what we can put on etater regarding google earth. We have a couple expert web technicians helping us! I am sure they know how to do that!

If you will just go to Google maps, it has about the same thing, satellite view, and the street views, and you don't have to download google earth. With the steet level, it's just like walking down the road, and being able to turn around 360 degrees, and look at everything. You can even go thru National Parks, such as Yellowstone, and Glacier.

Can you guide me as to how I use this? Thanks.

The way I use it, I go to goole maps, and you can put in your address, such as town and state, and you can zoom in on that map, either with the + or - on the map, or use your roller on the mouse. Click and drag the map to where you want to go. And then you can go to satellite view in the upper right hand corner of the map. And you can zoom in on that if you want. Or on the top left of the satellite view, over the zoom, there is a little man, if you will click and drag him over the satellite view map, it will show the roads in blue that have been mapped. Let go of him over a road that has been mapped and it will go to steet level. If you click and drag on this steet level view, you can turn around the picture 360 degrees. And there will be a line down the road that you can click on to move a short distance, or there will be a small map in the bottom right hand corner, that you can click and drag the man to move whereever on the roads. Side roads are mostly unmapped, but major roads are, and most cities have all the roads mapped. You can look right in at houses along the street.
Hope this helps, I know it is a bit complicated, but I have studied it for a couple of years.

Just curious, if anyone tried out the street level view and got it to work.

Cowman
Just curious, if anyone tried out the street level view and got it to work.

It works good for me, you definitely need a hi-speed internet connection and a reasonably fast computer to get the full effect.

Admin2

I just used it. I've used it before, I used to see the planes take off and land at the airports. I was just looking at the streets of Durbin, LOL. Still, I felt like a Peeping Tom, LOL. It isn't in "real-time," though, but it's still cool. I would agree that a high-speed connection would be better if you are not techie about cutting some of your system resources.

I love Google Earth! Got on high speed and WOW! I went to places that I used to live. I went right down Fry Blvd. in Sierra, Vista, AZ where I used to live and saw Carls JR. fast food, which is like a Hardees here. I went down Bragg Blvd. and Murchison Rd. in Fayetteville, NC, outside of Ft. Bragg. I went to my friend's house on Wisteria Ln. in Killeen, TX, went to my friend's house in Colorado, went to Tybee Island, where I used to have so much fun in Georgia and I went to my old house at 708 Fleming Rd. in Hinesville, Georgia. It still has the same chain-link fence my Dad put in when we were there, when I was in the 5th grade. It doesn't show any military posts, so I couldn't see my homes there, bummer, but I understand why. The streets of Durbin, I could tell the "real time" thing because it looked as though those were pictures sometime this past or last summer from the details. It wouldn't show street scenes of Kitzengen, Germany, just a map. It is still pretty cool though! Alot of times, you don't even have to click on the guy to drop him in the street, if you have the address, like 708 Fleming Rd Hinesville, GA, the words Street View will come up and you click it and you're there. However, I dragged the little guy all around Durbin because they don't have regular addresses. I'll be back on it again sometime soon, because there are lots of places I have lived and traveled to. I only moved 28 times. It is so cool!

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!