toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Security at SS

Has anyone heard snowshoe may get rid of security?I have heard the deputy's may take over security.Just rumor or what?

Re: Security at SS

It's some kind of ploy the Sheriffs Department is using to get more Deputies. The Sheriff went up and shut down the Snowshoe Public Safety.

No the sherif did not shut ss security down but he did convince the corperation that ss security being armed was a liability they cant carry guns pepper spray or stun guns so now they cant protect the guest the employees or themselves for that matter although there has never been an issue with them being armed before. But SS got a big cut in insurance payments for disarming them which shows they care more about the all mighty dollar than the saftey of the people on the mountain. And yes it was a ploy to get more money and man power for the sherifs office but the grants he applied for were turned down and County Comission would not give him any more men. So now he is obligated to take care of the Mtn with no men to spare and left SS Security without the ability to do so. But the money SS saves in insurance payments will cost them that much more out in law suits and refunds. It is rummored that there will be one deputy stationed on the Mtn at all times but one man will not put a dent in the problems that Mtn has and it is insane to think that he could.. It promises to be an interesting and Bloody winter for Snowshoe

He want's to shut them down because lets face it even though there just security gaurds they make him look bad. They do a hell of alot more than the county sheriff's department. Hell county call them to handle there calls at the bottom of the mountain most of the time. I cant beleave Bill Rock is actully going along with it. Almost any employee on the mountain will tell you there making a huge mistake those guys save the mountain lots of trouble and money they have lost there **** minds if they think the sheriff will save them

Yes it's true - they have been left with nothing but issuing a "stern warning" if they have to break up a fight or an armed robbery. Attention robbers: the guys picking up the cash receipts at the retail stores will give you a very nasty look if you hold them up! Visiting families this Season should weight their feeling of "security" before coming. Also - reported on DCSki.com...there may be no Courtesy Patrol either. To save more $$ (i.e. add to coorporate profits) they have dropped even more benifits for the volunteers. Owner/volunteers have posted they wouldn't be back this Season.

This is some bad news for sure there is no way this will work.But with the tax's snowshoe pays the county commision will have to fund more deputy's.Snowshoe has really changed the last few years not near as many people.

if the sheriff is complaining about snowshoe security then snowshoe should send there security officers to the state police academy for the city police course then the sheriff couldn't complain hell one county deputy on snowshoe at all times well one deputy won't be able to handle all of the calls from snowshoe guess's

Where are all the facts coming from? It's good that alot of the employees know each other and can look out for one another, for the most part. There is safety in numbers. I know there has to be alot of security measures within a resort, but disarming? What do we tell people for those safety measures now? Wear a bullet-proof vest and get a concealed weapons permit if you want to work or go have fun? Snowshoe Security had always been like a small force on top of that mountain. Think of the icy/snowy roads and fog, with time delay for any regular police officer to respond. I hope the new Sheriff comes around/has something up his sleeve and gets this mess straightened out, and soon. I hope he shows us/soon realizes, if this is true, that he should use his military armed training primarily and his paperwork (grant-writing) training secondary. Safety comes before money, but they do have to mix too. People travel to Snowshoe from all over and there are alot of risks involved. I just hope someone will publish something in the newspaper or on here, that puts our minds at ease, that safety is covered! We already have enough weirdos in the woods to look out for, on the loose. We shouldn't have to worry while we work and people shouldn't have to worry when they vacation.

True there isn't as many people on the Mtn as there used to be but the problems seem to be getting worse and more frequent and there arent alot of people on the County Comission that dont care for SS. So will see if there personal feelings play a role.

The solution is simple--incorporate

...turn the place into a town with its own police system.

Re: The solution is simple--incorporate

They do have their own fire department. Would they have enough land left for a jail? Didn't the bank get robbed when it was in Shavers Centre before? Right next to Security's office? Do they at least have bouncers in the bars? Welcome to the "Wild East!"

I really hope that this was not a money saving issue. Are they nuts? Taking the guns away? I'll bet they retune their decision after the season starts. Could the officers still carry a concealed weapon with the proper permits?

I dont think CC or martin had anything to do with the whole problem however I dont think they want the sheriff's office to use any of there man power on the Mtn since they have a hard enough time taking care of the rest of the county. And all of the security gaurds up there have there consealed weapons lic but if the company dosent want them to carry guns on there property then they cant since it is private property and you have to have the property owners permission to carry your firearm. I think the problem started with the sheriff and he con ed bill rock and corperate into beleaving that there was a liability and they bought it and the sad part is its going to take somone getting hurt or worse before SS realizes they have made a big mistake.

greed and Bill Rock being himself.... stup-d. The man has done nothing except turn the resort in the wrong direction when he arrived. He is with-out ? the biggest joke for a COO the resort has ever had.....I do know that for a fact.

true it is a huge liability for security to be armed nowadays with the sue happy people.just last week a california court awarded a thief 1.3 million dollars for getting shot while he was robbing a church.plus any security officers that carry needs to be trained and be bondable.I am not bashing the security officers but if one of the officers shoots someone they could spend the rest of their lives paying for it whether it be fiancial or jail time.they cannot go thru the state police academy unless they work for city,county or state agency

Very true "think a minute". The truth is that the SS admin would NOT back an officer in court IF that officer had to shoot someone. Now, that's not saying that SS doesn't NEED armed security. Not at all actually. I'm just saying that it is a liability to work as armed security because of the company and administration.

What yoursaying is true but now dys you can be sued for what you do as well as for what you didnt do. there is always a liability but wouldnt you rather be sued for doing somthing in the right rather than doing nothing at all. I know at one time they were bonded security but im sure it was just one more thing SSlet fall through the cracks. the have actully opened themselves up to alot more liabilities.what happens when a guest or an employee gets hurt because security couldn't do anything to prevent or stop it ??? its going to be a payday for some one. The point is there are liabilities no matter what but rather be safe than sorry. The common everyday citizen has the right to hold someone untill the proper athorites arrive so why cant they? Because the county sheriffs dept dosent want them to???

And that is also a valid point "BadNews". There will be no winners, just losers. It looks like this disarming thing is done. SS will learn a very expensive lesson I'm sure.

Mr. tourism man of the year...(what a joke) has all the answers to solve every issue on the big mountain. Let see when a guest is not protected while on a visit and the resort has to pay for it. ed

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!! I THINK SAFETY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS SITUATION, FOR EVERYONE ON THE MTN. THEY THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO SAVE MONEY ,WHEN MORE PEOPLE FIND OUT ABOUT THIS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO WANT COME TO SS FOR VACATION KNOWING THEY DONT HAVE ANYONE TO PROTECT THEM, BECAUSE I TURELY THINK THAT THE SHIERF'S DEPARTENT ARE NOT GOING TO DO A THING. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE HAS'NT BEEN ONE DUPUY UP THERE YET, SINCE THEY HAVE TAKEN THE PRIVILAGES TO CARRY A GUN, ETC... JUST BECOUSE THEY ARE NOT BUSY DOENT MEAN SOMETHING CANT HAPPEN. YEAH THEY SAY OH YOU CAN JUST CALL BUT HELL BY THE TIME THEY GET THERE SOMEONE COULD GET HURT OR KILLED, IF SOMETHING IS REALLY SERIOUS. I REALLY JUST CANT BELIEVE THEY WOULD TAKE A CHANCE JUST BECAUSE MONEY, NO ONES LIFE IS WORTH IT !!!!! I PRAY THAT THEY COME TO THERE SINSES BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS .

The leadership at the resort is at a all time low. The directors are clueless about guest, community and co-workers. They will do a different employee survey every couple of years to make themselves look good. It's a game all the big companys play. Thats how it works for bill, isn't that right.

If being a Snowshoe employee sucks so badly, why don't you find yourself another job? It's whine, whine, whine and boohoo because Snowshoe treats the employees like crap, yet the complainers never have enough gumption to stand up for their rights OR LEAVE and find employment elsewhere.
Same goes for the person claiming to be a Snowshoe Homeowner. Snowshoe bends over backwards to kiss homeowners a$$es, but since that isn't good enough for you, sell your Snowshoe property and invest in another resort that will hopefully bow down and worship you the way you expect...

quick question. do any of the other resorts have armed security ? this may be more than just snowshoe.like I said before it has become a BIG liability.anyone can carry pepper spray.I don"t understand why that was taken.its a 4 hr. class to take and then you get sprayed and be misable for awhile

I now live in Maryland but use to live here. We are vistimg family and found out about this site we also have one at home a little different.

Anyway some things on here is a joke some are nice and some are enteraing but Snowshoe has always been a dope lovers peridice and this horse should be laid to rest next to Howels Leather.(the tannery)

If only Snowshoe Mountain could be crime free and drug free like little ol' Marlinton, huh?

Do you seriously feel safer on the streets of Marlinton at night than walking through Snowshoe's village at night? Look at the number of annual visitors to the mountain and compare that to Marlinton's population. Then compare the crimes committed in Marlinton to those on the mountain. Snowshoe is far and away a safer place, with or without armed security.

But of course, logic is no match for the deeply rooted hatred of a successful businesss. OK, rant over. Feel free to go back to biting the hand that feeds you.

Hmm. Let's delete Snowshoe and pretend like it is gone. What kind of economic impact would that have on the local community. I don't know why you people moan so much. BTW Give the guns back to the Public saftey guys. What is this preschool? I just hope this hasnt effected the morale of the Officers by disarming them.

I totally agree. If Snowshoe went out of business, every other business in this County would suffer the consequences. The whiners and complainers would suffer the most because they'd no longer have employment opportunities...but they don't see the big picture, do they?
I also agree with you about having armed security. If there's a situation, it would take a good amount of time before the local and State Police could arrive on the mountain. Other companies are allowed to have armed Security, so I don't understand why the Sheriff here has any jurisdiction over Snowshoe Security since they are a private entity.

this is a serious mistake for ss to do.i worked in ss security snd cash control for a number of years and guns are a necessity.it clearly shows big corporations care nothing for their employees or the safety of their guests just profits.god forbid anything happen to any of the ss security officers trying to do a distacefull job and getting hurt or killed because they dont have the proper eqt to do their job so ss could save some money.tell the sheriff thanks for all the help elect the fool again.

Billy wants to create the best guest, employee experience again and again$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and his pocket.

The poster: to:snowshoe employee states that Snowshoe bends over backwards to kiss the homeowners' arses. Hardly! They treat the homeowners as if they own them, equally lousy as their employees.
They rule the mountain like a dictator, kick us all in the **** by raising our dues, having licked us with a quadrupleing of the sewer bills, not actively pushing the promised four season resort, etc. etc.. They advertise mainly to the drunken and dopey kids who do the most damage to the rental units and create havoc on the slopes.( No wonder that Snowshoe has the most ski accidents in the Eastern Region).

Security is a large part of our homeowners assessment. I am sure they will NOT cut that portion for SECURITY IN NAME ONLY.

TO another H.O. you are correct on how bill treats the home owners. He has also failed big time with the summer events. He has lost, (they moved to other resorts) more events and summer business at ss than any other gm. Even the golf course has lost numbers, rankings and upkeep from his leadership. The employee year round base has lost alot of good local people from his poor management skills. Then you have cousin ed.....need I say more.

"They advertise mainly to the drunken and dopey kids who do the most damage to the rental units and create havoc on the slopes.( No wonder that Snowshoe has the most ski accidents in the Eastern Region)."

.......probably has absolutely nothing at all to do with all the illegal drugs on the mountain that security 'knows nothing about it' yet provides protection for the management that 'knows nothing about it' that provides protection and a third eye blind to the preferred business partners that 'know nothing about it' yet openly proffer it to the drunken and dopey kids and employees that are the ideal target market for such consumption..........which generally isnt an experience sought to be consumed by the average vacationing family, scout group, or church group.

True SS has a huge drug problem but ss security knows alot about it and up untill now has tried to put a stop to it but the sheriffs dept has also told them not to do anything with it but call them. And when they are calle dhalf the time they dont even show up. so there hands are tied

presto
( No wonder that Snowshoe has the most ski accidents in the Eastern Region)."

Snowshoe's advertising to certain groups responsible for its high accident rate? Doubtful. More likely reasons are the immense number of southern (read: inexperienced) skiers/boarders, the popularity of Snowshoe (ie, more skiers mean more accidents) and the less than ideal conditions we often encounter on the ice (east) coast.

Just my opinion? Perhaps, but that opinion comes from one who has ridden nearly 80 days per year at Snowshoe for the last 6 or 7 seasons and knows just about every patroller and medic on the mountain in that time. The vast majority of accidents treated at the clinic are inexperienced guests who overestimate their abilities.

Boo freaking hoo! Anyone who purchases investment properties does so for their own gain, and I feel fairly confident that you probably expected your unit (if you really even own one, which I highly doubt)to be rented out to "drunken and dopey kids" that wreak havoc and damage your property. I don't feel any sympathy about your sewage bill because you aren't the only homeowners in this County that pay high water and sewage bills. Taxes either, for that matter.
When you bought your rental property, you most probably bragged to everyone and anyone who would listen about your "Snowshoe property." Now you've faced reality and realized that you have to spend money to make money. Get over yourself and realize that you have the option to sell and get the freak out of our County. No sympathy for whiners here, so go elsewhere and cry your crocodile tears...

The lastest talk on the mountain is in the future the security work force will contracted out. That will help Bill get rid of another 25- 30 fully benefitted positions. This is a test that bill has implemented to see how things go this winter, BEWARE public safety your jobs are at risk......This will be another cost saving measure that billy can show the corporate greed leaders.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!