Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Boy Scout Camp to Close

FYI.. The Buckskin Council has operated Buckskin Scout Reservation just outside of Huntersville for almost 50 years. The 2010 summer would be the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, and the 50th anniversary of the camp. Apparently the Council is considering selling the camp. I found this article from the Logan Banner talking about the Buckskin Council closing all its camps.

http://www.loganbanner.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Officials+step+up+to+save+camp%20&id=3714816-Officials+step+up+to+save+camp&instance=secondary_news_left_column

If you feel this is a bad idea, please call the buckskin council and tell them how you feel. I found this contact information on thier website.

Wyatt Scout Service Center Telephone: (304)340-3663 or (800) 272-6880

Officers for the Council:
President: Art King 345-1398
Commissioner: Phil Gaarenstroom 747-5802
Scout Executive: Jeffrey L. Purdy 340-3663
VP Administration: Frank Jorgensen 872-5040
VP Membership: Eric Tyson 767-6880
VP Finance Allan McVey 346-0806
VP Program: Glenn Harrison 276-964-9109
VP Dist. Ops. Steve McGowan 353-8114
Treasurer: Larry Hudson 388-7629
Legal Counsel: John Teare, Jr. 347-1424

Re: Boy Scout Camp to Close

ART King owns Kanawha Stone and Terradon Engineering. Both the firm will be doing the work on a national adventure camp to be built in Faytte Co. at Garden Grounds.

I guess all you have to do is follow the MONEY!

I guess I did the link wrong so here is the artical.

From the Logan Banner:

Officials step up to save camp
by MARTHA SPARKS, Society Editor

GARRETT FORK — The sudden announcement that the Buckskin Council of the Boy Scouts of America in Charleston were considering the possibility of closing three of their scout camps, including Camp Chief Logan at Garrett Fork, had many people in Logan County and the surrounding areas worried.

But, local officials put those worries to rest last night when they stepped up to save the camp.

A meeting was held Thursday evening at the camp to discuss the council’s decision and to try to find a way to avoid closing the camp, which has been in operation since 1952.

The mess hall building was filled with concerned area citizens, local Boy Scout leaders and area government representatives including Art Kirkendoll, president of the Logan County Commission, and W.Va. Delegates Greg Butcher, Jeff Eldridge and Ralph Rodighiero. Also attending the meeting was Buckskin Council president Art King and Scout Executive Jeff Purdy.

Following a short business meeting by the Chief Cornstalk District, the meeting was opened up to questions and comments. Local scouts expressed their feelings for the camp, explaining what the camp has meant to them in their youth and what the camp would continue to offer young men in surrounding areas.

Others were upset, expressing that the Council had neglected the camp, often taking their finances and not returning anything back into the camp. Accusations that the Council merely wanted to improve the camp located in Kanawha County to the implication that the closing of the camp would benefit someone wanting to purchase the 900 acres for a housing development.

King explained to the group that the three camps now under the Council were creating an $85,000 deficit to their budget. There would also be competition several years from now by a National Camp which is being proposed for the Raleigh County area. He also assured the crowd that closure of Camp Chief Logan was only one of several options open to the Council.

Kirkendoll expressed his opinion on the possible closing of the camp which has been located on Garrett Fork since the early 1950s.

“First of all, its disturbing me that you are even considering shutting down a Logan County landmark,” Kirkendoll said. “I can guarantee you that the Logan County Commission has put more money into this camp in the last few years than the organization in Charleston or anywhere else. What more concerns me is that we have three camps and we’re talking about $80,000? You’re talking about selling property and shutting camps down for $80,000?”

Following comments from several others, including Eldridge, Butcher and Rodighiero, King and Purdy, Kirkendoll asked King and Purdy for specific numbers needed to keep the camp open. King replied that at least $45,000 annually was needed to keep the camp open.

“You contact me and we will set down find the money,” Kirkendoll said. “If we find the money to fund Camp Chief Logan, will that eliminate it from the option of closure?”

Butcher, Eldridge and Rodighiero also assured King and Purdy that they would do what they could through the legislature to help find funding for the camp.

King and Purdy assured Kirkendoll that the funding would eliminate the camp from the options.

“We’ll take care of Camp Chief Logan and the other counties can take care of theirs,” Kirkendoll said. “They are not shutting down this camp.”

The people of Logan saved thier camp, and now we need to step up and save ours.

We DO need to step up and save our camp. Think of all the money the camp and the boys that go through it bring to the county every summer and throughout the year. They buy food and other supplies from local stores, probably tens of thousands of dollars a year worth. The kids who work there eat in town all the time, as do the Scouts and leaders on their way to or from the camp. They really do bring quite a bit of money to Pocahontas County.

It’s a shame they’re just going to try to sell such a piece of history out from under us. That camp’s been serving the boys of the state for fifty years. Dewey Sharp would roll over in his grave if he knew they were thinking about selling the place he worked so hard to maintain. And I don’t think the Dillys intended for the scouts to just sell off the property they gave them just to pad their pockets. Generations have camped there and if they’d only maintain the place generations more would continue to do so. We should rally together and save Buckskin Reservation!

For years we the people of Pocahontas County have wanted to use the Scout Camp for: other organizations, senior citizens, re-unions. For years we have been refused. Buckskin Council cited many reasons for not letting it be used. As I understood it when the camp was created the council was to let Pocahontas County groups use the camp for free, this was suppose to be in the deed when the ground was donated to the council. As I understand the council is not having many activities for boys, it is used mostly for officials for private activities. Closing the camp? Why not donate or make arrangements for the Science Camp to use this "sacred" ground. Buckskin Council should give back to the county.

I don't know what the deed says about Pocahontas county use but I can tell you that the camp is full of boys all summer.

The Boy Scouts is a wonderful organization on the local level. Troops and districts all across the country work to teach boys self reliance and leadership.

Unfortunately the higher in the organization you look the less that seems to be the case. Selling off irreplaceable facilitates without even a word to the local people who would have save it has been the norm. One gets the impression reading the stories that BSA didn't want to save the camp, they wanted the money. That was why they often don't let word out about a sale until the deal is done.

I can tell you that any group can use the camp you just have to pay.

As an employee of the camp, I can assure you all that on a local level (and especially among those of us that work there) we do NOT want BSR gone. I will be furious if this plan goes through, and I encourage all of you to contact the council and voice your opinions on the issue.

Somewhat related, I want all of you who read and/or post here to know that some of the best memories of my life are from Pocahontas county. I noticed someone said that we come out and eat in town and it's true. I feel as much a part of the community when I'm at camp as I do where I normally live. The people of Marlinton and Pocahontas County in general are always so nice and helpful to those of us that make Dilley's Mill our home for a little while. I genuinely hope the Council knows what they are doing to the people of BSR and your community if they sell.

Hi folks,

Just wanted to thank you for the heads up on this, and that the Pocahontas County Commission is looking into it further. I will let you know what we find out. Thanks again.

DF

I'v been to Dilly's Mill for about 6 years and I can't understand why they would sell such a wonderful camp! So many scouts have been there and learned so much about scouting and about themselves! It is more than a peice of land or a pay check it is a second home for alot of us. It has change so little but it has change so many young scout in a great way! Please keep Dilly's Mill alive help keep all the camps alive! Help us help the history of Dilly's Mill alive!!

Thank you David Flemming for your interest in this matter. I have been up to the camp and gotten a lot of wonderful pictures plus talked to the caretaker who assures me that the camp will not be closing. I told him that I just wanted to be ready if we have to put up a fight to keep the camp.

It is encouraging that at least one county commissioner is concerned about this camp. It is a crown jewel of Pocahontas County--2000 beautiful acres and a gorgeous lake. The grounds are well kept and the place sparkles in the sunlight.

Just a heads up to everyone, the way this usually works out is that the big guys in scouts want the money so they keep it quiet till the sale is made. It isn't a matter of the camp losing money or the community saving it by making up the difference, it's a matter of cashing in on valuable property. A break even camp isn't the issue. Norman, what makes you think the care taker would have a clue about the plans of the main scout office. If inquiries are made they have to be made at the decision makers level.

I can tell you that the office is denying everything, even to the papers and TV. The paid profesionals will give no comment, but the volunteers who make up the board are very split over the issue. They want to sell 1200 acres now and set up a deal to sell the other 800 acres in a few years. They also have no plans to replace the camp with another one.

I am merely trying to optimistic; I miss these things about 10% of the time.

This is not uncommon for the Buckskin Councils new Scout Executive Jeff Purdy who arrived early last year. He came from the Blue Water Council Serving St. Clair and Sanilac Counties in Michigan. He was sent to the Buckskin Council in Charleston, which is in financial hard times, to fix all the financial problems. He has built a reputation for being a budget minded executive with the boy scouts. What you will not hear is that he turned around the Blue Water Council and built his reputation by utilizing the council’s property money. The Silver Trails Scout Reservation in Jeddo, Michigan is operated by the Blue Water Council. He allowed for a mining company to come in and open up a gravel quarry on the Silver Trails camp. It is not unusual for a Boy Scout Council to use its mineral resources to generate revenue. The problem came when the funds were sent to the operating budget and where not invested back into the camp or the council’s endowment. Now the quarry is almost out of gravel and the council will have a large hole in their operating budget. If money had been invested into the endowment it would be generating funds for years to come. That is his current agenda. He plans to sell off the council’s main summer camp and use the funds to supplement his lacking fundraising efforts to make up the operating budget which also includes his large salary. He then plans on giving away the council’s other two camps because they currently are creating a loss. What the council needs is someone who could mend relations with its community, so that it can properly fundraise for operating costs. Any funds generated from sales of properties or mineral and timber resources should be reinvested into those properties to create a better experience for the youth of this council. Oh that’s right the Boy Scouts are a youth organization founded on turning young men into future leaders. The problem is that Jeff Purdy only cares about his next promotion more than he does about the program he is charged with promote.

I want to correct one misconception that has arisen: that the camp does not allow local use. It does. In fact, you can rent a beautiful, spacious cabin for $30 per night. That's a deal. Plus the camp has been used for weddings, etc. Even the school has used it. They welcome local use.

It's not unusual for companies to send a hatchet man to do dirt and then leave. Sounds like you got a snake.

Does anyone know if any papers have picked this up?

I propose that we start a calling campaign to let them know that there are many of us and we are not happy. The council phone numbers are(304)340-3663 or (800) 272-6880. I suggest that we call and then post our results to see if they give everyone the same story.

Well, the camp could be used for a band camp, others things to keep it open. It would be nice to see soemone buy it and use it for everyone and not jsut a few.

It would make a prison camp!

I called today. I was told that I needed to talk to Jeff Purdy. He was not available, and I said I would call back. I did not get a chance to call back. Did anyone else have better luck?

Hi all,

An update on what we found out about our Buckskin Scout Reservation (aka Dilley's Mill), from yesterday's discussion at the Pocahontas County Commission.

Commissioner Saffer had spoken with Art King, scout council president, and I had spoken separately with Jeff Purdy, executive director. Mr. King is a voting board member, while Mr. Purdy is not; Purdy is the paid exec.

Essentially, the financial situation as conveyed by both King and Purdy is the same, and isn't looking good for them.

This boy scout council operates 3 camps. One in Logan County, our Dilley's Mill location, and forgive me for not recalling where the third camp is. They have an annual budget of about $1M for all camps. For the last 7 years, they have operated in the red. Last year, according to both King and Purdy, they operated at a loss of $80K.

I asked Mr. Purdy for a breakdown by camp, which he knew readily. The Logan County camp accounted for $40K of the $80K, and our Dilley's Mill camp was in the $25K-$35K loss range. The third camp of course would account for the remainder.

As you know, the Logan County Commission is working or already has worked to find $40K to keep their camp up for at least another year. I believe it was fellow commissioner in Logan, Art Kirkendoll, who led this effort.

In similar spirit, we have encouraged and invited the scout council to come to a future Pocahontas County Commission meeting to apprise us of the full situation and to see if we might be able to help. So I look forward to that discussion soon, hopefully.

So keeping the camp open, at least in the short term, seems quite doable. In the long term, in addition to keeping the camp viable, of particular concern to me is the land. Mr. Purdy explained to me that the council owns 2,000 acres at Dilley's Mill, but that 1,200 acres "is not used" by his words. So the council is looking quite seriously at selling 1,200 acres, leaving them with 800 acres.

The 1,200 acres the council is considering selling lies across Rt. 28, between 28 and the Greenbrier River. The 800 other acres is the land with the structures, etc.

I asked Mr. Purdy, suppose we come through with the money (e.g. $25K-$35K) to keep the camp running, would you still seek to sell the 1,200 acres? He said that was not his decision, but the board's (council's) decision.

Mr. Purdy was very clear in communicating that the council has to find a way to return the 3 camps to a viable status, and that the 1,200 acres that is "not used" is being considered strongly as a means to achieving this goal.

I suppose I am concerned as to what the 1,200 acres would be used for, would it be a compatible use to the adjacent remaining reservation, etc.

At any rate, those are the basics where we stand now. To summarize:

1. $1M budget for 3 camps
2. 7 years operating in the red
3. $80K loss for 3 camps last year
4. $25K-$35K loss for Buckskin/Dilley's Mill
5. Dilley's Mill has 2,000 acres, considering selling 1,200
6. Hope for meeting between scout council and the county commission

Thanks, let me know if you have any questions.

DF
http://www.DavidMarchFleming.com/

David,

Lots of questions, but I will start with only a few here.

Are there any Boy Scout troops in Pocahontas County?

When you talk about "coming up with the money" are you refering to tax payer money?

Are the 2000 acres owned by the BSA in a Conservation Easement?

Could this not be another way for the BSA to raise their own money?

I will stop here and wait for your answers.

I'd be curious about what they mean "operated in the red." Do they expect the camp to break even, if so what are all the boys selling $20 cans of popcorn for? Doesn't that money go toward supporting these camps? The scout executives get paid big bucks. I would think they could find a better way to make camps all across the country viable instead of selling off irreplaceable assets

In answer to Joel, Yes there are scouts in Pocahontas county!

I’m not sure if the council mislead Mr. Fleming, or if he misunderstood. The council's operating budget is about $1.2 million, and around $750,000.00 of that goes to salaries for the executive and office staff. The Three camps are Camp Chief Logan in Chapmanville, WV, Buckskin Scout Reservation (Dilly's Mill) in Dunmore, WV, and Camp Roland in Bastian, VA. They expect all three camps to break even. Camp Roland actually makes a profit and they raised a $25,000 donation and they are still considering getting rid of the camp. Camp Chief Logan which makes the largest whole in the budget was already subsidized by the county commission for the water bills. BSR or Dilly’s Mill does create about a $25,000 loss, but I would ask if the $30,000 profit made off of the summer camp program this year is include when calculating this loss. I do not think it is.

The problem of selling off the 1200 acres is that the money would not go toward operations and improvements to the camp, and the camp needs improvement. The money would go to supplement the lack of fundraising. The council currently is having trouble paying the salaries of the people who are responsible for raising the donations. The problems are not the camps it is the paid professional leadership in this council. Yes the $20 can of popcorn sold by little Cub Scouts and their parents goes go to pay salaries of professional executives in Charleston.

Jeff Purdy is correct he does not have a vote, but he does have a voice on the committee and he is using it to push this plan.

Another problem with the current plan being considered is that it does call for the sale of 1200 acres to supplement the operating budget. It also calls for the sale of the rest of the camp just a few years later. If the County Commission is to raise funds, I would ask for something in writing stating that as long as it is subsidized it will not be sold.

dositater
For years we the people of Pocahontas County have wanted to use the Scout Camp for: other organizations, senior citizens, re-unions. For years we have been refused. Buckskin Council cited many reasons for not letting it be used.

This is absolutely NOT TRUE. Many citizens have used the camp for many functions.

It is disgusting and obscene that $750,000 of a $1.2million budget goes for salaries. What ever happened to folks who would help organizations like this for their own satisfaction.

I run a non profit charitable organization here in Pocahontas county and I receive zero dollars as compensation. I work 24/7 and love what I do. And I donate almost everything I have to the organization.

Obviously, the BSA only sees dollar signs if they sell their property here. I would bet they will also increase their salaries.

Like I have said above they could get lots of money if they just put the entire 2000 acres into the farmland conservation protection program. So we will see how much they really care.

I hope David will relay this message to them and also hope he will keep us informed as to their actions.

I think David Fleming should ask for a copy of their budget and settle this. If they wont give one up, I think you can file for an audit under the Freedom of Information Act.

Friend of Buckskin
I think David Fleming should ask for a copy of their budget and settle this. If they wont give one up, I think you can file for an audit under the Freedom of Information Act.

I really don't think there is anything David can do about their budget. They have a right to put in whatever type of management structure they please. The individuals and groups providing their funding do have the right to pull their monetary resources.

Don't get me wrong, I highly disagree with such a top-heavy management structure. Way too much money does not make it's way down for the programs for the boys.

Sadly, this is becoming the norm for many of the non-profits. Way too much money for executive salaries and less gets through to the real need.

I would be surprised if a county commissioner could do anything about this.

Today, I talked with a reliable source who suspects that Walt Helmick is involved in this in some way. You will remember that Helmick purchased the Allegheny Lodge property. You will also remember the infamous Denmar deal that Helmick manipulated for his friends.

I agree that they can use their money how ever they want. I ment that if the county gives them money they have the right say how it is used. I would not give them money to fix up a camp just so they can sell it for more money than before. I would want something saying as long as the county is giving them money, they can not sell the camp. I also was saying that if the county wants to give them money they have a right to know the actual cost of operating the camp.

Stinkwell Tater
Today, I talked with a reliable source who suspects that Walt Helmick is involved in this in some way. You will remember that Helmick purchased the Allegheny Lodge property. You will also remember the infamous Denmar deal that Helmick manipulated for his friends.

Aw Gees Norman, get a grip! Let's focus on the camp not some unsubstantiated rumor. To the best of my knowledge Walt is not on the scout administrative committee. This type of move has been happening to scout camps nation wide. When communities or heirs to donated land have found out in time it has been fought.

The Charleston Daily Mail ran this article this morning:

Boy Scouts may lose three camps

by Zack Harold
Daily Mail staff

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Difficult economic times could lead to the loss of three Boy Scout landmarks.
Art King, president of the Buckskin Council's Executive Board, said the council's three camp properties - the Buckskin Scout Reservation in Pocahontas County, Camp Chief Logan in Logan County and Camp Roland near Bastian, Va. - cost about $85,000 a year to operate.
"Well, I guess it's like any business," King said. "If you don't have enough money coming in, it's tough to operate."
The council's $1 million endowment was hit hard when the stock market tanked late last year, and fundraising efforts aren't bringing in as much money as they once did.
"The council has been operating at a deficit for a number of years," King said.
Over the summer the board decided to do something about that, he said.
"The board formed a task force to look at those camps, and come back and make recommendations to the board as to how to minimize that loss or to make the camps revenue neutral," King said.
That task force, primarily made up of current and former board members, came up with five suggestions for the properties, detailed in an e-mail sent to Executive Board members by Scout Executive Jeff Purdy.
The recommendations included:
• Selling 1,200 acres of the Buckskin Scout Reservation in Pocahontas County that lies west of Route 28. The council would then use a small amount of the proceeds to make repairs on the remaining 800 acres of that property, where the majority of scouting activities and annual summer camps are held.
However, the task force recommends those 800 acres also could be put up for sale if another plan comes to fruition. In July, Jack Furst, chairman of the National Scouting Center project, said the Boy Scouts' 10,600-acre Garden Ground Mountain property in Fayette County could host a national summer camp, which would attract most of the West Virginia scouts. If that happens, the 800 acres at Buckskin might not be needed, the task force found.
• Nonprofit 501©(3) corporations could be created to lease and operate Camp Chief Logan in Logan County and Camp Roland, about 20 miles outside of Bluefield near Bastian, Va.
• Use money from the sale of the Buckskin Scout Reservation property to subsidize scouts' summer camp fee and to pay for Camp Chief Logan to have a ranger. The ranger would be an employee of the Buckskin Council but would answer to Chief Logan's nonprofit corporation.
• Cut and sell timber at Camp Chief Logan, but keep a "buffer zone" around areas of the camp that scouts regularly use. Half of the proceeds would go toward the Buckskin Council's endowment, with the other half going to the camp's nonprofit corporation.
• Finally, the task force recommends that the executive board allow Camp Chief Logan and Camp Roland to charge a fee when groups hold events there.
If the Buckskin Council holds an event at the camp, the council would keep any net profits from the event. The camps' nonprofit organizations could keep net profits from any other events held on the property.
The task force will present its plans for the three properties at the Executive Board's Nov. 5 meeting. King said the board could vote on the proposals then or put the decision off to a later meeting.
"I don't know what they'll do. I only vote if it's a tie," King said.
Both Purdy and King emphasized that none of those recommendations have been approved yet. The executive board could accept them all or accept only a few. They could modify the suggestions or dismiss them altogether.
"The only entity that can make a decision on the properties is the executive board," Purdy said.
Bill Murray, a Charleston lawyer, former Buckskin Council Executive Board member and current Advisory Board member, said he would like to see all of the recommendations denied. He said he takes particular issue with the move to sell off the council's Pocahontas County property.
Murray said the west 1,200 acres of the Buckskin Scout Reservation, which he called "raw mountain acreage" that borders the Greenbrier River, costs the council nothing to keep, as the Boy Scouts' nonprofit status means they don't have to pay property taxes.
"It's there and grows trees. And critters," Murray said.
Murray, an Eagle Scout who worked at the camp as a teenager, said the timber on that property has been regularly cut and sold for years and would produce more revenue for the scouts in the long run.
Over the past 15 years or so, Murray said the council has made about $750,000 off the timber. Though timber prices are low right now, logging a tract of land on the 1,200 acres could bring in as much as $350,000 once prices rebound.
Murray said selling that land is just a way to generate immediate cash flow.
"They're looking for a way of generating money quick that they can use," Murray said. "To me, this seems to be a quick fix to a more complicated problem, quite frankly."
Instead of ridding itself of the properties, Murray suggested stepping up the Boy Scouts' fundraising efforts.
"I think they need to knuckle down and work," he said.
Murray said the Buckskin Council's annual Friends of Scouting fundraiser, which once brought in a third of its annual revenue, has been neglected in recent years.
But in addition to financial pressure, Murray said there's another reason the Executive Board is trying to get rid of the camps.
"They want to get out of running their own camp and owning properties. They want to get out of the property business," Murray said.
But King said that's not true.
"What we're charged with is delivering the scouting program to as many youth as we can possibly deliver it to," King said. "If owning property fulfills that mission, we'll own the property. If it doesn't, I think we're charged with administering resources in the most efficient way possible."
Officials in Logan County are already working on ways to keep their Boy Scout camp in operation.
Last month, Logan County Commission president Art Kirkendoll and state Delegates Greg Butcher, Jeff Eldridge and Ralph Rodighiero attended a meeting about the closure of Camp Chief Logan.
King informed the officials that at least $45,000 is needed to keep the camp afloat. Kirkendoll said the county would find the money.
"They stood up and they said that they would work with the council to find a way to cover those losses," King said.
"That alone could possibly modify the recommendations," Purdy said. "They're offering to help."
The Buckskin Council acquired the property for the Buckskin Scout Reservation, also known as Dilley's Mill, in June 1957. The camp was dedicated three years later, on July 23, 1960.
Camp Chief Logan and Camp Roland were brought in when the Chief Cornstalk and Mountain Dominion scouting districts joined the Buckskin Council in 1991.

Contact writer Zack Harold at 304-348-7939 or zack.har...@dailymail.com.

I read the article in the Charleston paper. It sounds like the clowns in Charleston need a full time fundraiser.

I run a Facebook group called Save Our Scout Camps. It was formed in direct response to the proposed sale of the Buckskin Council’s camps. It is a forum for people to voice their opinions and stay informed on what is going on with this issue. I have links to news articles and blogs where this issue is being debated. Many people have posted comments, uploaded pictures, or just joined to show their support. The group is open to anyone, so look us up and feel free to join.

Here's the link

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=139548014262

Re: Here's the link

This is a national problem, this link has an antilogging slant but it shows a little of what the Boy Scout organization is doing on a national level.

http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/scoutslogging/

This is an article written about the camp as it prepared for its 40th anniversary. I wonder if they are planning anything for the 50th next year.

http://www.wonderfulwv.com/archives/june00/fea2.cfm

Hi all,

The Charleston Daily Mail has an article today (10/13) on the Boy Scout camps. It is here:

Boy Scouts rally for camps

DF

Hi Joel,

Good questions, thanks for asking.

1. "Are there any Boy Scout troops in Pocahontas County?"

I've been trying to figure out how many Boy Scouts we have in Pocahontas County, but don't have that answer yet.

2. "When you talk about 'coming up with the money' are you refering to tax payer money?"

Yes. Presently, I'm not aware of possible funding sources we might seek for this. So that's another question then. Where else might we get funding? I imagine this will come up as we further consider this issue. As a reminder, Jeff Purdy was talking about a $25K-$35K shortfall, so that's the number I have in mind.

3. "Are the 2000 acres owned by the BSA in a Conservation Easement?"

I'm guessing that the land is not in a conservation easement of any kind at this time. No mention of such a restriction came to my attention during discussion with Jeff Purdy of possible sale of the land.

4. "Could this not be another way for the BSA to raise their own money?"

I presume you're referring to seeking a conservation easement via the Pocahontas County Farmland Protection Board (FPB)? Interesting possibility. Presently, the FPB sets a maximum value of $2,000/acre. Multiply times 1,200 acres (between Rt. 28 and Greenbrier River), and that's $2,400,000, which is well in excess of current and remaining funds held by the FPB (federal match notwithstanding). So I don't know if it would be doable at this time, but this is interesting.

We need to keep thinking of ways we might be able to help with this. Thanks again Joel, let me know of other questions and concerns you have on this.

DF
http://www.DavidMarchFleming.com/

http://www.dailymail.com/News/statenews/200910180362

$4,000,000 million dolars waiting to do a good deed. 2 from the county and 2 from the feds. It's free. Even Stinkwell approves of using this money this way!!!!

Just to let everyone know there is a Council Board meeting tomorrow at 6:00 pm at the Council Service Center in Charleston. The meeting has been opened to the public and you are encouraged to attend. You will not be given the opportunity to speak, but you will be able to hear the discussion about the camps by the board members. I am asking that as many people as possible show up in uniform if you have one. The more people we get the larger the movement to save the camps looks. I know of several other efforts to get people out so we should have a good crowd. I appreciate all the support the group has received, and I appreciate your considering coming out.

Thanks,
Marcus

Thanks for posting the emergency council meeting info Marcus. I was told it is critical for visitors to remain silent or we will be asked to leave. Please keep this in mind if you do attend.

Also, Art King mentioned a 10-person limit on observers. Any of you driving long distances may want to coordinate and only send 1 or 2 representatives.

Please video meeting for me. Will post!

Also tell them about the $4,000,000!

These Folks have the answers!

People who want to protect their land from development should contact any member of the Farmland Protection Board.

They are:

* Jesse Groseclose,799 4956
* Mickey Deike, 456 4852
* Leslee McCarty 653 4387
* Cadwell Tyler 653 2097
* Dick Evans 653-4927
* Martin Saffer 799 7388
* Dick Nevi

* It's easy to apply.

Wildlife and farms co-exist

We now have an office (Upstairs) at the
City National Bank. in Marlinton
Office Phone: 304-646-5349
E-mail address: pocahontasfarmland@hotmail.com.

It was conveyed to me that we could attend as observers since it is a board meeting and not open for statements by us at this time.
The purpose of attending is to understand the process and information they are basing this possible sale on. I have also been told that it is possible the November 12 meeting might be open for comments and suggestions but that has not been officialy decided yet.
We are all passionate about keeping our camps open but before we can properly evaluate a positive opposition and solution to the economic problems we need to hear what this board thinks and understand the reports,(one on finances and one on the camps) and what they are based on. If they are flawed or ignore what the economic and Scouting impact will be to the communities of Scouts that use them, then we will have the argument to influence this board.
In addition the counties themselves take a great deal of pride in these camps and they need to know all of the facts so that they can possibly provide funds without any objection from their own citizenry.
This time we listen. Our protest over such a move is so great that we most certainly will get our chance to speak. Tonight I will personaly be there.

By the way when I spoke with Larry Wunderly of the board office last night and was told I could attend he made no mention of Art King limiting attendence. Actually Art was the one who said we should be able to attend as long as we did not disrupt the meeting.
One other thing, this is a large board, some 40 members and I know they all work hard for Scouting and that many do not agree with this move.

1 2
contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!