Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Skin for an Old Church
Re: New Skin for an Old Church

This church was orginaly called The Woods Poage Chapel.There used to be a painting of JESUS on the wall behind the pulpit, painted by Grace Poage Harter.Any way Brooks Barnett is in charge of this church now.This church is located on the Back Mountain road about halfway between the Fairview road and Clover Lick,WV. Also I have heard Norman's dad preach there when I was in Graded school. thanks

WHAT ARE THE PLANS FOR THIS CHURCH BUILDING ?

I went to this church for years. I hope it won't be converted to a house or rented out. But Brooks does own the property.

The future plans for this church is no concern of anyone except for the owners. Until you pay the takes on this church, it is not any of your concern.

TO !!!!!! Norman went out of his way to take pictures of buildings in this county,So we as citizen's can at least have some history of great places like this. I went to church here until I was in my 30's. This is a public forum. If you do not like the history of Poage Lane why don't you move back up to the upper end. Yes it is our business, This church was sold without an public auction,Like every thing else in this County it was done in private.I think Christ paid for this Church with his blood on the cross.

Great News About the Poage Lane Church

Just got a call from Francis Barnett, wife of Brookes Barnett, she has great news that her husband, the last of the Poage family line in the community, is going to be keeping the building up for posterity. He didn't want the old church he went to as a kid to fall down so he is putting new siding on it. The job may not be finished this year but it is on its way.

We are happy to see folks like the Barnett's in a community take the initiative to restore the old landmarks. Francis thanked us for taking a picture of the church and said she appreciated it very much.

As a child I used to attend dinners-on-the-ground when they were on the ground. Poage Lane folks would fix up outdoor tables and we would have the feast outside. These are sweet and wonderful memories that I will never forget.

My thoughts after I had taken the picture were that it was sad that the Poage family which left such a nice mark on our county is no longer around. BUT THEY ARE. Brooks Barnett is one of them. God Bless you folks!

Re: Great News About the Poage Lane Church

The response of 9/25,5:40pm certainly sounds as if this person is the owner or has an interst in ownership.
The response of 9/25, 9:34pm states that this property was sold by private treaty and not at public auction which was and is legal.

Mr. Barnett paid for it, paid the taxes, and has maintained it. If he chooses to use it as his workshop and storage building, then it is his to do so!! The question is, the work going on is for whose prosperity, the communites or Mr. Barnetts?

A building is the place where people with a common belief gather. A shortage of common belief is what brought this building to be sold to start with. Make no mistake, this is a private building now and if you don't believe this, try using it as a public property.

Last but not least, Norman always goes out of his way and always with the same results questions with no answers.

Don't know if this is the same Poage family. Edith Poage Tripplett has children : Patsey Tripplett, Lynn Tripplett of Droop and might be another. Jewel Poage Tripplett, Edith's sister. Last names the same because two sisters married two brothers. There brother, Summers Poage still has 3 children, Donald, in Richwood. Mary in Greenbrier County. Frances in Florida.

I hate to disillusion you but life has far more questions than answers. It takes a lot more effort to raise questions than to get answers. A forum like etater is one what to do both at the same time.

The Poages of Augusta County

Re: The Poages of Pocahontas County

Re: The Poages of Augusta County

Info.
Don't know if this is the same Poage family. Edith Poage Tripplett has children : Patsey Tripplett, Lynn Tripplett of Droop and might be another. Jewel Poage Tripplett, Edith's sister. Last names the same because two sisters married two brothers. There brother, Summers Poage still has 3 children, Donald, in Richwood. Mary in Greenbrier County. Frances in Florida.

Summers Poage had another son, paul, who worked for Mitchell's. His daughter, Missy Poage Sparks, still lives here. Are these all from the same Poage family related to Brooks Barnett?

I preached Paul's funeral! Good man!

Re: the pews

I happen to own two of the pews that came out of that church. I believe that the pews were transported to the Poage chapel site after they had been used at a location in Thornwood. The story I heard was that the pews were transported to the Poage site when it was constructed by horse and also the Cass rail line. Can anybody confirm this or have any other info on the Thornwood connection? My understanding is that the pews were originally built around the Civil War. TIA

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!