This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Assault on Camp Allegheny: Chapter 1 - Infiltration

Assault on Camp Allegheny

by David March Fleming

Original Source

Chapter 1 - Infiltration

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward." — Amelia Earhart

When my feet woke me this morning, I knew what they were up to. After all, we had talked about this run for quite some time. So it was only a mild surprise. But today, really? Really? Well...let me check my calendar. I already knew it was a clear day on the schedule. Yep, I've got the time.

"Are you serious?" I demanded seriously.

"Yes."

"Well then, twinkle toes, let's see what we can figure out."

Getting there would be very difficult. So getting back in a non-running and easy fashion was essential. Fortunately, my wife was off work and at home. "Can you pick me up?" I asked as nicely as only a spontaneous running lunatic can ask. "Sorry, got other plans." Shoot. That was that.

"Sorry feet, some other time."

Silence.

"What is it now, twinkle toes?"

More silence. Guessing. Thinking. Knowing.

"Well now, that's an ambitious plan. Are you serious?"

"Yes."

I thought very seriously for several moments about this plan. I wasn't sure I could do it. It seemed a bit too much, a bit too spontaneous. That said, however, we had, after all, talked about it for quite some time. So it was no surprise really. And I did have the time.

"Okay," I capitulated.

And that was that. The procedure, the process, had begun.

An hour or so later, we successfully infiltrated Camp Allegheny. Standing there in secret, I thought quietly of the Civil War, and how in 1861 Federal forces attempted to take this mountain from the Confederates. They failed.

A couple of hours later, I stood outside the house and looked back and up towards Allegheny. Now 20 miles distant. My way back to this home was up there, in place, within and amongst the very enemy itself. All I needed to do to get back home was to get up there. All I needed to do was to not fail to take that mountain.

"Well twinkle toes, you ready?"

A bit of unexpected, condescending silence.

"Yes."

TO BE CONTINUED

DF
www.DavidMarchFleming.com

Re: Assault on Camp Allegheny: Chapter 1 - Infiltration

Thank you David!

Again I thank you David! You are doing a great job on the Camp Allegheny issue!

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!