toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
County Commission to Increase Support for Dog Warden and Provide Help!

Re: County Commission to Increase Support for Dog Warden and Provide Help!

It seems that Sheriff Jonese has pointed out the problem with the job that Sandy has been doing for a long time by herself. Now with the sheriff making it clear how hard the job is maybe people will think about their remarks against Sandy not doing her job. She was doing two jobs the humane officer and animal control officer.

Lack of personell, resources and communication.

get mevin martin to help he has a county truck.

I have a few questions about Fitzgerald's "proposal" for an animal shelter at the Hanover Shoe factory. First off, as the lady in the video asked, what qualifications do they have to run an animal shelter?

Secondly, I heard from someone who attended the meeting that Fitzgerald firmly stated that he was going to run a KILL SHELTER. He said something to the effect of it isn't cost efficient to keep animals for any length of time the way Sandy Mallow does is what I was told.

I'm also confused about his partner saying in the video that "they" would provide an Animal Control Officer and an assistant at the Northern and Southern end of the County. I was under the impression that the position of Animal Control Officer is under the control of the County, and therefore, appointed by the County. So, how would he "appoint" anyone for those positions?

In addition, animals carry communicable diseases in their feces. There's parvo and parasites such as hookworm for example. If Firzgerald were to have an animal shelter in town, how does he propose to dispose of animal feces? The site is right next to the river, and animal feces, if it isn't properly disposed of, can and will contaminate the river water.

If he plans on putting down numerous animals, what is he going to do with the bodies? Put them in the County land fill? Bury them? If so, where?

He also stated that his animal shelter is only going to be a "temporary" one until the County can build or contract another facility. If he's given a large amount of support by the County to build a "temporary" facility and the County socks money into the project, the only one I see is going to benefit in any way after another facility is built is Fitzgerald. He will have a completely renovated building, funded by the County, and the County will have what? Zip?

It's my opion that the Council is doing the right thing and putting funds into the Animal Control facilities provided by Sandy Mallow. After watching the video's and listening to what she says, I think that she is more than qualified to run an Animal Control facility. Instead of worrying about the dollars it costs to keep animals, it sounds as though her priority are the animals themselves, and what it is going to take to make them healthy and then find them adoptable homes.

She's the kind of people our County needs to have in leadership postions.

she just dosn't let people walk off the street and adopted the animals she wants to make sure they are going into good forever homes and not to someone that is going keep it until they decide it's to much trouble to take care of and drop it out along the side of the road . and all her animals a have a clean bill of health from the vet that she pays for out of her own pocket before she will let them go .so if you fill out a pre application an meet the requirments she has no problem adopting to you or making a appointment to see the animals .
And she will NOT adopted to anyone that has turned other animals into her, she feels if you can't work through the first ones problems you DO Not need another one.
And I guess since she didn't contacted you back for a appointment it's due to one of the above .and I guess that also mean you have never been to her place so don't run your mouth until you get your facts straight

concerned
The so called shelter in the upper end is NOT AT ALL what it should be, if you don't believe me try to get an appointment to go look..goog luck with that one! Mr.Fitzgerald has looked into the proper way of disposing of feces and the animals, it would most definetly NOT go into the river, as far as doing this job only for the money then you have Mallow and Fitzgerald confused..

How is the shelter supposed to be according to YOU?

From what I heard, Mr. Fitzgerald is the one in it for money while Sandy Mallow is paying hundreds of out of dollar pocket money and running up a bill at her vet to pay for the sick or hurt animals that she gets in. She hasn't asked the county for any money, but it seems to me that Fitzgerald sure has. So please explain how you get that someone would be getting Mallow and Fitzgerald confused when it comes to that?

Concerned, why don't you direct your comments to me, because I was at the meeting. Were you there? If so, I have a very good idea whom you are, and want to point out that you have a vested interest in running Mrs. Mallow into the ground by badmouthing her. Is it in your PROPOSAL to besmirch her character?
If you were NOT at the meeting, Concerned, then I'd also like to point out that again, I have a very good idea whom you may be, and you would most certainly also have a very vested interest in assisting MR. Fitzgerald with besmirching Mrs. Mallow's character.
That being said, I'd like to ask you how it is you know that her "so called shelter in the upper end is not all what it should be?" Have you actually ever been to Mrs. Mallow's rescue? Evidentially you haven't, or you wouldn't have said "good luck" with "getting an appointment to go look." If you've never even been to the shelter, then what exactly are you basing your judgment on? "Listening to gossip?" You've already stated that you weren't able to obtain an appointment to "go look," so it seems as though you are engaging in the same sort of behavior that you accuse Back Up The Bus of...listening to gossip!
I've actually been to Mrs. Mallow's shelter and have volunteered there. Her animals are well taken care of. They are vetted, then housed in a safe environment. They are given clean food and water twice daily. Their pens and cages are cleaned on a regular basis. They are given fresh bedding, and more importantly, love and attention.
Does Mrs. Mallow have a state of the art facility? No, but it is a proper and well maintained facility, and if you were at the meeting, why didn't you bother to look at the photos she displayed of her shelter? She not only had photos of her facility, but also photos of the animals she currently houses there as well as photos of animals she has adopted to loving homes.
You claim that Mrs. Mallow does her job "only for the money." What money? I personally helped Mrs. Mallow with her 2008 income tax preparation. You are extremely mistaken to believe she is in it "for the money." Your comment is not only pathetic, but also comical.
I am constantly astounded by the utter stupidity of person's who claim to be so "Concerned," yet too stubborn and ignorant to actually check their facts before making ridiculous claims and accusations.
Mr. Fitzgerald conceded during the meeting that he himself came to the conclusion that Mrs. Mallow wasn't doing her job and wasn't taking in anymore animals- based on things he heard, and also because the Sheriff happened to be housing a dog at the jail. He only had a THEORY, and not the facts.
The FACTS that were presented at the meeting were that Mrs. Mallow, although overcrowded, had never stopped taking in animals, and since the Sheriff is now the Humane Officer, was housing a dog at the jail of his own volition. His CHOICE.
If you are so worried about the animals, then maybe you should do yourself the favor of actually sitting and watching the video's Norman posted, and listen to the FACTS instead of relying on gossip and innuendo. And instead of trying to sabotage Mrs. Mallow's efforts, actually ask her what you can do to be of assistance and participate in helping the animals instead of undermining her efforts.
Just remember that you're not helping the animals you claim to be so worried about by perpetuating lies and gossip.

Mrs. Mallow has a website for her Last Chance Animal Rescue. On that website, you can view her facility, as well as see the animals she currently has for adoption. The link is: http://www.animalrescuelcar.com/

concerned
Mrs. Mallow most definetly asked for more money at the meeting 8,000 more, I'm not trying to undermine Sandy, it's just that there has to be something done about the animals. She has already said that there is an outbreak of parvo up there, thats not good at all. Mr.Fitzgeralds proposal was for an emergecy shelter at ARC until a permanent shelter can be built.As far as the county goes I don't blame them for not building a new shelter on Sandys land, whats to say that she doesn't quit tommorow, then what?

Look here "concerned", Sandy did not have an OUTBREAK, she had one dog that one of the deputies brought her that ended up with parvo that was taken to the vet and died at the vets. She has been quite lucky in the almost FOURTEEN years she has done this job to not have outbreaks. WHY? Because she knows how to keep diseases to a minimum and how to take care of the animals. Some of you act as if parvo is not something normal that happens to dog shelters. It happens everywhere and in every state and in every animal shelter there is. One difference between Sandy and the rest-she hasn't had an OUTBREAK as you put it. EVER. She had ONE dog that had it WHEN IT CAME IN and was showing signs of sickness and was immediately taken to a vet for medical attention. If you think for one second that just because animals will be in a new building that they can not contact the virus and you won't have on in there, you are sadly mistaken. Another reason that I can tell you that your little clan have no business running an animal shelter. You don't get the know how as Sandy has overnight people. As far as needing to "do something about the dogs". Sandy has done a great job over the years. Imagine getting the problem down from 1500 animals per year to 500! Big difference and that sure didn't happen from her sitting on her haunches either.
As for the $8,000 that Sandy asked for, it was specified what that money was to go for and it sure as H ELL was not to go buy a new wardrobe! It was for a quarantine cage and for some kennels that are sturdier than what you can buy from a store around here. When you house multiple dogs you need sturdier supplies. So don't sit there and act like that money was for her own personal use and twist things around. Sandy has hardly ever asked the county for money for jack crap and has saved this county more than Fitzgerald will in the years time he would have had his hands in it. I mean, how much is Fitzgerald asking for his building to be set up for a shelter???? Where do get that $8000 during 14 years time is a lot of money?
Furthermore, Sandy has not asked for a shelter to be built on her private property, she has only asked for a few kennels to help house more dogs which I might remind you, JP, Fitzgerald or whoever you are, that those are REMOVABLE should Sandy ever resign from her job.
As for Sandy's place being disgusting, I would love to see you do as well as she does with the animals. She keeps it quite clean considering that it is dirt flooring. I'd love to see you do the same WITH the same that she has. She doesn't complain but instead tries to improve all of the time. You haven't been to her place and if you have, maybe you were the one sneaking around in the middle of the night trying to kill her animals?
Funny how Fitzgerald and Duncan say they are so CONCERNED about the animals but yet walked out during the meeting because they wanted to act as if their feelings were hurt. Well how is it that they can sit in one meeting and contradict themselves like they did? Let me give you an example:
They said they were there to "assist" Sandy but yet then they turn around and say their proposal has in it that they can "provide an animal control officer and assistant for the northern end" of the county and also one for the other end. Now how do you propose that taking Sandy's job is there to "assist" her? Mr. Fitzgerald can not be an animal control officer as was suggested because he is a convicted felon. So who else was there on that northern end?
Also, it was suggested that a one year contract was "ample time" for everyone to basically get their ducks in a row and to get a shelter built. How much money is Mr. Fitzgerald asking the county for to fix up the back part of the building as a shelter and what is in the plan for AFTER one year contract is up and there may still not be a shelter and the Hanover Shoe Building will still be used? What type of money is involved then? How much is it raised? As one of the above posters asked, why would the county want to give all this money to someone for THEIR private property and only use it a year? I am quite confused again on your reasoning there. How is it ok for Mr. Fitzgerald and ARC asking for money for a PRIVATELY owned building to transform it and then it is not ok for Sandy to ask for $8,000 for something that should she ever resign or even be fired, that they can remove these kennels and place them where they need to be? The inside of your building won't be "removable" now will it?
Now, it seems that you all have this thought through on how it would all be beneficial to YOU should the county be ignorant enough to go through with this proposal, but how is it going to be beneficial to the county? Ignornance is bliss, but I am afraid you are trying to bluff the wrong ones, because the majority of us have a brain and we use it.
Now PLEASE, make sure you have all the answers fully thought out and answered on here that I have asked. They are important or else I would have not brought them up. I am a citizen here and I want to know how you feel that ARC is going to be beneficial to me and my family without using money needlessly. I have a right to know answers to the above questions and so does everyone else in this county that pays taxes. So lets see how much on the up and up you are.

You are not only "Concerned," but completely wrong and an idiot to boot.
Mrs. Mallow was asked by the Council members to bring a proposal that outlines what she needs to upgrade her facility and be able to properly house additional animals until a permanent faculty is built.
Mrs. Mallow's proposal contained three items. One portable kennel, the materials needed to build a quarantine cage in order to house vicious animals and one assistant to help her maintain her facility so that she can have a day off during the week. At this time, Mrs. Mallow does not have a single day off during the week. She is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The portable kennels with compartments for four large dogs cost $2080 each. She estimated it would cost $500 for the quarantine cage. Mrs. Mallow only asked for one kennel, but the Council insisted that she be given four. So you see, Mrs. Mallow most definitely did not ask for $8000. She asked for the $500 for materials to build the quarantine cage, one portable kennel and an assistant.
Mrs. Mallow has been the Animal Control Officer in this County for 14 years, and up until now, has never asked the County for a dime. I personally don't believe that $500 for a quarantine cage and four portable kennels in a 14 year time span is too much to ask for. Nor is an assistant.
How dare you try to lie and twist the truth? You claim that you're "not trying to undermine Sandy," yet you don't hesitate to twist the truth, lying in order to besmirch her character. And for what? To make Fitzgerald look justified for "proposing an emergency shelter?"
This County doesn't need an "emergency shelter." It's already got a shelter, and Sandy Mallow is the Animal Control Officer who runs it. What the County needs is a permanent facility, which is in the works right now. The Humane Society stated at the meeting that they are working on obtaining grants in order to build a County shelter. Until then, the Council plans on giving Mrs. Mallow the items she needs to upgrade her facility. Items that are portable and can be relocated to the new facility.
Mrs. Mallow, along with every other Animal Control Officer in this Country, is subject to "outbreaks of parvo." Recently there was a Vet in Lewisburg who had to close his office for two days while treating his clinic for a parvo outbreak. It is not uncommon, but you try to make it sound as though it is a problem that only Mrs. Mallow contracted. Mrs. Mallow used chemicals to eliminate the parvo virus. She stated at the meeting that she used a chemical to eliminate the virus by spraying it throughout her property, including the kennels. She then used that chemical to thoroughly disinfect all the food and water containers, crates and bedding. The parvo virus has been eliminated, and the puppy who had the virus was immediately vetted. None of the other animals were infected. I hardly think that one puppy with parvo among dozens of the other uninfected dogs she houses at her facility can hardly be considered an "outbreak."
Mrs. Mallow has never asked that a permanent County shelter be built on her property. Unlike you, she's not ignorant and knows it isn’t feasible for herself or the County. You said “As far as the county goes I don't blame them for not building a new shelter on Sandy’s land,” Since Mrs. Mallow has never asked the County to build a new shelter on her land, that has to be one of the most bizarre statements I’ve ever encountered on Etater.
You aren’t “concerned” about the animals in this County at all. The only thing you’re “concerned” about is trying to undermine Sandy Mallow in order to help Fitzgerald plot to have his building renovated with funds from the County. This County doesn’t want a kill shelter, which is what Fitzgerald said it will be if his proposal is ever accepted.
You claimed in your original statement “good luck getting an appointment to see the place.” Now you’re stating that it’s “dirty” and “nasty” and you’ve “been there.” It’s my opinion that you need to keep better track of your lies if you want to sound believable instead of pathetic and ridiculous.
It's sorry sacks of crap like you who ruin the reputations of good people for your own benefit.

If the county Commission and the police take over will they come and get the cats or dogs when someone call and says that a bunch has been droped off around there house. I called Sandy when a mommy cat and5 kittens were droped off at my old house which is right beside my new house and she told me I had to bring the cats to her and food for a couple weeks.My wife called the next week and was told not to call back she was not coming to get the cats.

Sandy has never asked anyone for food. NEVER when taking in any animals. Also how long had that cat been around there and how long had you been feeding it?

This may be an ignorant question/suggestion/comment but ...
Through many years of observing and hearing about animal control in the county, and having friends involved in various aspects, I get the impression that Sandy does an absolutely wonderful job with dogs, especially in finding them new "forever" homes, often in other states. The complaint about cats by Curry Road reflects somewhat my experience with Sandy and cats.
On the other hand, I have the impression that the Humane Society is especially busy with cats. I realize spaying/neutering is appropriate for either cats or dogs, but I know the Humane Society has worked very hard to spay/neuter feral cats. They also board strays and find both foster and permanent homes for them.

I thought the Commission discussion Norman posted at the start of this thread indicated a willingness for the Humane Society and Sandy to work together for the homeless animals in the county. I would like to see them each finding their own strengths and personal preferences to develop a strong, comprehensive system for the county, possibly formalizing some specialization of care at the different shelters.

Yeah whatever my grandpa is 89 years old. The next time someone does this I will tell him to call your BIG MOUTH and you can come and get them and he does not feed the cats people drop off. There are others that know the truth also .

How long ago has this been, years? So are you saying your 89 year old grandpa got on Etater and wrote that?

Well I am not a grandpa and I will tell you and everyone else it has happened and to more than 2 or 3 people. It is not worth yelling about but the truth is the truth and it should be droped here and everyone work together for what ever is best for the whole county.

Call Grandpa and ask him to collect all the unwanted cats and kittens in the county. If he is feeding strays then a few more wont hurt. Heck. Maybe Grandpa shoud be the dog warden and work together for whatever is best for the whole county and bring all the unwanted cats up to his place. When he gets full up with cats, he can take them to the pet store and pawn them off because that is what firzgerald said he does.
Here's another thought. Tell your grandpa to spay or neuter his cats and then he won't have to call and pretend that some mysterious person dumped a load of cats with kittens in order to get them hauled away without troubling himself to take responsibility.

all this stupid s--- on here is just that , a bunch of big mouth busy bodies flapping there gums and NOT knowing there a-- from a hole in the ground. The problem still remains which is the animals and there welfare. Lets stick to whats important!!!!!!!

Yes Fitzgerald did say that he was going to run a kill shelter. He said it in front of all the county commissioners, the newspaper woman and everyone else that was there. As a matter of fact his own words were, "Well I hate to be the one to tell everybody this but the county can't run a no kill shelter." He repeated it twice as a matter of fact. So it is YOU wtf that have no idea what you are talking about.

If everyone is so worried about it then like I said go to the next meeting and say so and Fitzgerald was speaking about the dog that bit the kids face off and other harmful animals not all animals! But it seems no one else is stepping up to take over so until then quite cussing everyone on here just for something to do and start caring about the animals and the truth about the whole situation!

First of all, let me tell you that I was at the CC meeting and I did hear exactly what everyone said. So allow me to clarify a few things that have yet to be put on here by Norman and maybe he will get them on here now since this has come into question.
Mr. Fitzgerald was asked by me what his plans were to do with the dogs once taken in, and I had to clarify that I wanted to know what he would do after he kept an animal for so long of a time. He told me that it was a good question, and he then told me that they would be kept according to what the law dictates, meaning they would only be kept for the 5 mandatory days and then would be euthanized. (He also did state what the above poster said during this meeting.)
I then told him that I wanted to get my point across that I do not agree with his answer. I have many reasons. One is because there is already a "No Kill" shelter in this county and it is being ran just fine. Now let me clarify this. In order to be a "No Kill" shelter you have basically went to having euthanized ONLY due to terminally ill or aggressive dogs and you are not using the needless killing as a means to slaughter animals to control population. Needless killing is not acceptable any longer in society, with a minority not caring either way. There are other reasons to run a "No Kill" facility that is more beneficial than most people understand, whereas a kill shelter costs more than is beneficial.
I have been in "rescue" for pretty much my entire adult life and have continued to help not only Sandy Mallow, but other kill shelters in West Virginia and also other states. So I am no green hand at this. I have a lot of experience in this field because of research, the desire to help, educating myself and hands on experience by volunteering at different levels.
Together, Sandy and I have improved upon many aspects of the small shelter she runs and it has been quite beneficial for all involved. As mentioned at the meeting, Sandy has literally saved this county large amounts of money which everyone as tax payers should be grateful for. As said above by another poster, Sandy did not ask for $8000 but only $500 and the CC and Humane Society members that were present urged her to ask for what she needed and present it to them so they could help her with getting the proper supplies to house dogs and to be able to quarantine them properly when she gets such things as a bite case. That is a quite reasonable thing to ask for wouldn't you think after 14 years?
If anyone has any questions feel quite free to ask me and I would be happy to answer any of your questions that I possibly can. You can ask them on here if you wish, but I would prefer that you put your name on here and discuss this like adults. Other questions, without your name and that are unreasonable will not be answered by me.
Sandy has done a great job for the past several years and from what I have understood the County Commissioners and other officials and citizens commend her for her services. Sandy has not griped and complained and now that Mr. Jonese has taken over as Humane Officer it is now fully understood what Sandy has done by herself for so many years without complaint. Sheriff Jonese has brought it to everyone's attention and we thank him for that, because we now hope to get the appropriate help for the animals of this county.

Jaime
First of all, let me tell you that I was at the CC meeting and I did hear exactly what everyone said. So allow me to clarify a few things that have yet to be put on here by Norman and maybe he will get them on here now since this has come into question.
Mr. Fitzgerald was asked by me what his plans were to do with the dogs once taken in, and I had to clarify that I wanted to know what he would do after he kept an animal for so long of a time. He told me that it was a good question, and he then told me that they would be kept according to what the law dictates, meaning they would only be kept for the 5 mandatory days and then would be euthanized. (He also did state what the above poster said during this meeting.)
I then told him that I wanted to get my point across that I do not agree with his answer. I have many reasons. One is because there is already a "No Kill" shelter in this county and it is being ran just fine. Now let me clarify this. In order to be a "No Kill" shelter you have basically went to having euthanized ONLY due to terminally ill or aggressive dogs and you are not using the needless killing as a means to slaughter animals to control population. Needless killing is not acceptable any longer in society, with a minority not caring either way. There are other reasons to run a "No Kill" facility that is more beneficial than most people understand, whereas a kill shelter costs more than is beneficial.
I have been in "rescue" for pretty much my entire adult life and have continued to help not only Sandy Mallow, but other kill shelters in West Virginia and also other states. So I am no green hand at this. I have a lot of experience in this field because of research, the desire to help, educating myself and hands on experience by volunteering at different levels.
Together, Sandy and I have improved upon many aspects of the small shelter she runs and it has been quite beneficial for all involved. As mentioned at the meeting, Sandy has literally saved this county large amounts of money which everyone as tax payers should be grateful for. As said above by another poster, Sandy did not ask for $8000 but only $500 and the CC and Humane Society members that were present urged her to ask for what she needed and present it to them so they could help her with getting the proper supplies to house dogs and to be able to quarantine them properly when she gets such things as a bite case. That is a quite reasonable thing to ask for wouldn't you think after 14 years?
If anyone has any questions feel quite free to ask me and I would be happy to answer any of your questions that I possibly can. You can ask them on here if you wish, but I would prefer that you put your name on here and discuss this like adults. Other questions, without your name and that are unreasonable will not be answered by me.
Sandy has done a great job for the past several years and from what I have understood the County Commissioners and other officials and citizens commend her for her services. Sandy has not griped and complained and now that Mr. Jonese has taken over as Humane Officer it is now fully understood what Sandy has done by herself for so many years without complaint. Sheriff Jonese has brought it to everyone's attention and we thank him for that, because we now hope to get the appropriate help for the animals of this county.

Very well said Jaime.
I will be back as soon as I heal Fully from carpel surgery to Volunteer again.
Call me If anything is needed.

Article quoted from the Pocahontas Times:

J.P. Duncan and John Fitzgerald from Allegheny Recreation Center withdrew their proposal for an animal shelter at the former shoe factory. Duncan and Fitzgerald said they and their wives would be animal control officers and be available in both ends of the county on a 24-hour-a-day basis. Further, the two said they could use a pet shop already established at the ARC building to promote adoption of the sheltered pets.

people are being misinformed;the pet shop does not display rescued animals.people bring us cats because nobody is ever at the humane soc. and we find them homes for free ;there is nothing wrong with that .concerned people should foster animals no matter whos in charge, and this will also help sandy, humane soc. and the county.

First off if the humane society did their job and had normal posted hours of when they were open we wouldn't have cats at the pet shop. Also for your information the cats are given shots and wormed!!!!!! Just like everybody else misinformed people have no idea what they are talking about. It's the owners option to spay or neuter the animal. It's a shame more peole don't foster the cats or dogs, but just like everything else people want to complain about everything, but they never want to become part of the solution. If you think it's a shame that the pet shop gives away unwanted cats you can leave your number and address so people can drop the cats off to you and then you can deal with them as you see fit. Lets see if you feel the same way when you have about 30 cats on your front porch!!!!!!

a responsible pet owner will get their dog or cat spayed or neutered. when you go to petland in beckley to buy a puppy or cat they are not spayed or neutered;so I suppose that makes them an irresponsible pet store too. And just so everybody knows the cats are given away for FREE!!! At least we do find the kittens a home instead of them being abandoned on the street. this at least gives them a chance.

Just some advice. Don't buy from Petland as they support puppy mills. BAD BAD BAD.

Yes,,,,,,my son purchased 2 bunnies from there & they both died after only having them a week.All of my kids were heartbroken & when we went & told them about it we were given 1 bunny{which is still alive} to replace the 2 that died.I'm not sure what was wrong with them but I hope it isn't something that can be transferred to my kids.

First of all ya'll need to quit raggin on the pet store Jean and her husband are nice people and they do give shots for those cats. I can verify that because I helped her.

I also got a bunny from them and NOTHING is wrong with mine if fact he is huge. Anyone can come and check mine out.

If you got a sick rabbit and it died it could be anything. It could even be something you did. At least they were replaced.

Anymore nasty comments about Jean or Michael will be deleted.

Hey Raven I am not trying to be nasty about them but I am trying to let them know that in order to be helpful that they need to do things right. You can't just go and buy cat shots like you can dog shots that I am aware of out of a store like Southern States. So in order to not OVER vaccinate then paperwork from a vet should be provided for those shots or if they come in a bottle like dog shots do then the bottles with the dates and lot number should be provided to the new owners for verification if they are actually responsible and do take them to the vet like they are supposed to.
As far as the rabbits go, I know personally a girl whose son bought 2 of those rabbits and they both died and Jean admitted herself that they had gotten a disease that only rabbits get, which is called the snuffles, and they all died and even the second litter they put in died from it as well because they had not bleached the wood and wire cage well enough. Snuffles is not curable. Only one rabbit was replaced whereas 2 should have been when it was a disease they had when they came into her shop and they were not properly quarantined prior to sale. That is not exactly fair for a child to lose their pets and only get one replaced as I am sure if it were a young child of yours you would agree and expect both to be replaced. Again, they need to get in touch with the humane society and not allow those kittens to go anywhere until they are spayed or neutered. Especially if any are females it is really important. Otherwise as said before, it is not helping with the problem of overpopulation.

for the record i never said the rabbits had a disease!!! rabbits just like hamsters can get what is called wet tail, which gives them the runs and it CAN NOT be transfered to humans. some of your smaller animals like rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters can get wet tail from just being transfered in a car. they get nervous, get the runs and die, sorry i can't stop that from happening. there is medicine for it but sometimes it does not work. we try to make everybody happy, but some people you can't make happy.

as for the cats, it's hard to take them to the humane society when you can never find somebody there!!!!!! i took 3 kittens there on thursday cause i finally caught someone there. the woman didn't want to take them until i told her that the sheriffs dept. told me to take the kittens there and thats when she decided to take them. the humane society needs to have set hours and do their job!!!!! THEY ARE NOT HELPING THE PROBLEM WHEN THEY TURN AWAY THE CATS THAT PEOPLE BRING THEM!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE HUMANE SOCIETY SHOULD ALSO TAKE DOGS, NOT JUST CATS!!!

I am glad you took the kittens over. If you could just understand that no one cares if you adopt out cats there if you can get help through the humane society at the very least, to make sure they get fixed. That would be helping the community out and it would be nice of you to do.

Jean, there is a problem with you allowing uncertified rescue animals being given away for free at your pet store. You don't know, because they haven't been vetted, if they carry diseases. Cats are carriers of feline aids and lukemia, which are diseases that are transmittable to humans.
There are regulations in place that prohibit pet stores from adopting out rescue animals. The USDA enforces the laws in legislature that govern the Animal Welfare Act, and you are in direct violation of those laws if you are taking in strays then giving them out for free.
If you don't stop, you are going to be in jeapordy of having your shop closed down. That would be a shame. If I were you, I'd check into the USDA laws before the government comes in and puts you out of business for doing illegal transactions.

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=animal+welfare+act+displaying+animals+at+pet+stores&fr=yfp-t-701&u=www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/aw/awlicreg.pdf&w=animal+welfare+act+displaying+display+displays+animals+animal+pet+stores+store&d=W66z8929TZhh&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=VzbetJSQHa2SJNtfEOZ0oQ--

The same standards of animal care apply to all registered and licensed businesses, and APHIS
field inspectors make periodic unannounced visits to all locations where animals are held to see
that regulations and standards are followed.Basically, the Federal animal care standards cover humane handling, housing, space, feeding and
watering, sanitation, ventilation, shelter from extremes of weather, adequate veterinary care,
separation of incompatible animals, transportation, and handling in transit.If your facilities or practices do not meet Federal standards when you apply, you will receive up
to three inspections within a period not to exceed 90 days to correct any deficiencies. Licenses
are not issued until all deficiencies are corrected. If you do not pass inspection within the 90-day
period, you must wait at least 6 months before reapplying for a license. Legal action results if
you operate a regulated business without a license.Animal DealersIf your business falls under any of the categories of "dealers" listed below, you must be licensed
by USDA. You cannot be licensed or registered as an exhibitor. You must be licensed according
to what type of activity is your predominant business. When first contacting APHIS, indicate the
species you handle, the type of business you are in, and the type of business to which you sell
animals. You can hold one type of license only.Regulated BusinessesPet Wholesalers: Anyone importing, buying, selling, or trading pets in wholesale channels must
be licensed. Annual license fees are based on the amount received from the sale of regulated
animals less the amount paid for these animals.

Retail Pet Stores: Anyone whose entire business consists of selling domestic animals to pet
owners is exempt. However, if as part of your business you exhibit animals, you have to be
licensed as an exhibitor.

Public Pounds: Animal shelters that are part of State, county, or local governments are exempt.
The exemption covers only the pound's own activities. You must have a dealer's license if you
purchase animals from pounds for resale or acquire them on contract for resale. The Pet
Protection Act of 1990 places some restrictions on pounds and shelters, such as a specific
holding period for animals before they may be sold to a dealer.
Private Shelters: Animal shelters operated by humane societies and other private groups are
exempt unless animals are disposed of through trade channels as pets or to research institutions
for use as laboratory animals, or animals are taken off the premises for exhibition to the public.

That last sentence should be of interest to John Fitzgerald. Under the law, he can't let you exhibit any animals he takes in for exhibition at your pet store, and by allowing him to display his rescue animals, you are aiding and abetting.

retail pet shops do not apply to this law; we are exempt

To: WTH For your information John Fitzgerald doesn't have ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PET SHOP!!!!!! It is run by Mike and Jean. They are very nice people and care very much about their animals and just like most SANE people they want what is best for the counties animals. So get your **** straight about who does what.

DEF
To: WTH For your information John Fitzgerald doesn't have ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PET SHOP!!!!!!

No reason to cuss about it now is there? The connection would more than likely have been made because John Fitzgerald said in the videos, "We" just took in 4 kittens in the pet store. Also because he had mentioned in the videos that he would (or could) use the pet store to show puppies and such. That is probably where and how the connection was made so maybe you should talk to him instead on how he talks about the pet store.

Pet stores that take kittens or other animals from rescues, then adopt those animals out are NOT exempt from the law.
The health inspector is going to come down on your head big time.
Everyone keeps talking about "the welfare of the animals," blaming the humane society and Sandy Mallow for all the stray cats and dogs in this County, but not a one of you are taking responsibility for the issue that YOU are to blame for. You don't have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered, which is the root problem and the reason there are so many unwanted animals. It's YOUR fault. Stop blaming the people who have to come behind you and sweep up the mess that YOUR IGNORANCE causes.
Secondly, if you cared as much as you claim about animals, you wouldn't purchase animals from PET STORES. If you really cared, you'd adopt one of the thousands upon thousands of dogs, cats, ferrets and other animals that are posted on adoption websites instead of going to a pet store. We have a rescue in this county that has puppies, kittens, ferrets, bunnies, horses, full blooded hunting dogs, hamsters, gerbils, birds and other animals that need a loving home, yet you trot yourself down to a PET STORE rather than adopt one of those homeless animals you claim to care so much about?
It's SHAMEFUL! A good percentage of Jean's "merchandise" is going to end up being picked up by the humane society after you get tired of dealing with pee on your floor or cat hairs on your sofa. Pet stores only perpetuate the issue we have here in Pocahontas County, along with the fact that most of you don't even care enough about your pets to have them fixed. It's easier and cheaper to dump a load of kittens at the green boxes than it is to take mommy kitty to the vet and have her fixed.
Until you people wake up and smell the cat litter, you're never going to understand the problems you are causing. You don't deserve to own a pet.

the pet store does not take rescued kittens,

get your facts straight.the pet store is not a rescue nor do the people who bring in the kittens work for any rescue.thus a free kitten is just that. this is not against any law,just ask the sheriff

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!