toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Library at Slatyfork

We are hearing great things about the possibility of a new library at Slatyfork located in the Snowshoe Visitor's Center. Sounds great!!! This would give the kids over there something to do and help them access wonderful books to read and fast Internet.

We talked with Allen Johnson and he is encouraged by the possibility. What do you think?

What do you think about a library at the Snowshoe Visitor's Center?
I approve
I disapprove

pollcode.com free polls

Would you have any problem with the Tourism Commission sharing the Center?
Yes
No

pollcode.com free polls

Re: Library at Slatyfork

I think that it's another waste of money. We have a libary at every school, that should be enough. What your idea is, could be putting that money to much more better uses.

The correct spelling is ; L I B R A R Y

What do you think the money should be used for if not for the library.

A library in a school is not open to the public. And the elementary schools in Marlinton and Hillsboro don't have libraries; they use the public libraries.

So your argument just doesn't float.

If you do not spend your money on the children.The county will spend it for you.Want another cruiser.

Thanks for starting this thread, Norman. I work at the McClintic library, but I live in the Slatyfork/Snowshoe area community. I'm very excited by the possibility of another library in our area!

I checked the poll and saw five negative votes; I would love to hear why those people are against another library. Perhaps I can answer questions about the project.

And let me say, someone posted above that we have school libraries, and another poster mentioned that school libraries are not open to the public. This is very true. And I'd like to mention that libraries aren't just for kids!

But if you have questions, post them here, call the library, whatever. I'll do my best to answer them.

If it is so needed and wanted then why doesn't SnowShoe build one?
Our Children need's something to do with their time but for the tax payers to fork out all that money for another LIBRARY is the need that great?
There are a long list of thing that could be built for our children. Why should it be something that they already have?

It's people like you that could benefit the most from a library. What's wrong, are you afraid you might learn something?

Just to give you a little background information: the McClintic Library and the three branches in the county (Green Bank, Hillsboro and Durbin) receive the majority of their funding from the Hotel/Motel tax.

Snowshoe doesn't have to build a library; the people who live in the Slatyfork/Snowshoe area want to do this, and have lots of ideas on how to raise the funds. No dollar amount has been proposed as of yet, so if you hear "It will cost X amount of money" that's just not accurate.

Snowshoe has very generously offered the Welcome Center, to be leased for 3-5 years. This is a plan that could be very feasible, and is being looked into on a very serious level.

Is there a need for a library in this area? The people living there say "Yes!" They have a good 45 min. drive to a public library right now; a closer library would benefit everyone, children and adults.
I can tell you that I don't see very many middle or high school kids; it's hard to get to a library after school, especially if they have a long bus ride home. How many folks can then turn around and drive their kids back to Marlinton or Green Bank?

swimmer, I hope this addressed your concerns. Keep the questions coming!

I don't think that Hotel/Motel money should be used for the libraries at all. Hotel/Motel taxes should be spent on the services which are impacted the greatest by the influx of tourists. Those services are: Law Enforcement, Fire/Rescue, EMS, and the Hospital. How many tourists use the libraries? How much extra staffing or supplies are needed by the libraries because of any tourists that do use them?

I would say most of the libraries I've had experience with are run on special levies. Quite often the levy funding is added to real estate taxes. Having a library that gets funding from Hotel/Motel tax is a new professional experience for me.

This tax provides funding for many organizations in Pocahontas County, not just the libraries, of course. And I think it's a good idea. We have a beautiful county; people come here to visit, vacation and enjoy our "home." Having this money benefit our community by helping the libraries is a wonderful way for the influx of tourists in Pocahontas County to be a positive thing. It's a positive for not only the businesses here, but also for our county's various organizations that receive Hotel/Motel tax.

We have quite a few tourists that stop into the libraries to check their email, buy books from our booksales, and to use our materials to learn more about this area. They ask us for the best places to stay, where to eat, what to visit. They ask for directions, they check their email or pay bills or print out maps, they do genealogy research..the list is endless! And they are always impressed with our collections, the buildings and the helpful staff. Your public libraries in Pocahontas County are just one more thing to be proud of!

How many complainers actually use the library? Stop by and see what the libraries offer, you may be surprised!!!

I am an avid reader, and not at all opposed to libraries. I've visited all of our county libraries with the exception of Durbin. I still don't think they deserve hotel/motel money when we have vital services that are severely lacking funding. When is the last time a library saved a life?

How would you fund the libraries?

How many tourists need to check their email and how many need to have their life saved?

Libraries should receive part of the 70% of our tax dollars that go to the Board of Education.

Since each and every person (not just tourists) potentially could have a life threatening accident or illness it could be said that additional funding for emergency and medical (hospital) services are a benefit for everyone. You can bring your own computer to check your email. You can't bring your own hospital.

JM, I'm sure we all could sit down and list ways to reallocate our tax dollars. You may not like the amount of monies various agencies and organizations are receiving, and you have every right to your opinion.

The Slatyfork community has not asked for any funding from the library. They have ideas on fundraising. So to get back on topic, does anyone have any questions or thoughts about the proposed library?

I sorry but I don't agree to the library. With the computers, laptop I don't really see a need for another libray. Who going to pay for the utilities,repairs. Snowshoe need to service their own guests at the welcome center. In the winter months the center was the stop place for the vistiors on bad weather. The Inn of snowshoe doesn't really quite get it. Make the place a little coffee shop and front desk to get the guests up the mountain safety and where they are going to. Who going to paid the people working at the libray?

boy oh boy, talk about someone who really needs the library's services. Borrow a book on proper grammar. Geeze. And for the last freakin time, it's L I B R A R Y!!!!!

Here Goes. No they should not get a Library any where close to SnowShoe. We could not have a rock quarry. It is cheaper to hall the stone from Mill Point or Elkins to SnowShoe than the Big Springs Quarry. How is this possible. I can remember when I was 8 to 10 years old and my grandad would get slab wood from Wallace Galford,who had a sawmill where the S.S. welcome center now sets. Now look how the Cheat Mountain is ruined for ever. They can dig up anything up at S.S. they want and no one seams to care. No library X is my vote.

The way I'm reading this, and from what I've heard, it's not Snowshoe's library, it's a library that the people who live in the Slatyfork and Snowshoe area would like in their community.

I also don't believe it's up for a vote. If those people who actually live there want a library and can raise the funds, it will happen. No voting necessary.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!