toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What's this about Walt Helmick running for governor?

Of course, Manchin can't wait to get Senator Byrd in the ground so that he can take his seat. But now we hear that Walt Helmick is starting an exploratory committee for Governor of the State of West Virginia.

Sorry, Walt! Too much baggage! Have you forgotten Howe's Leather? And what about all that stuff you gave away up there and then your father-in-law burned the building down! You can see a video of your father-in-laws handiwork on etater.com.

And then what about the Allegheny Lodge and those improper taxes you beat the county out of? Not good! Walt!

This is just the start of the list. I may have to start an exploratory committee on you!

Re: What's this about Walt Helmick running for governor?

Oh, I forgot about you want to use federal dollars to fund the rebuilding of a racist organization's clubhouse!

I am sure I will remember some more!

It is not good to have ole Stinkwell on the other side of the fence when you are running for governor!!!

Ole Stinkwell owes you some political debt and he sure would like to pay his debts!!!!!!!!!

Does Helmick Really Think We Have "STUPID" Written on Our Foreheads?

WV Senate Finance Committee Chairman Walt HelmickSenate Finance Committee Chairman Walt Helmick just can't help himself. Day after day, he repeats the same self-contradicting talking points in opposition to any and all tax cut proposals: Pay the pension debts first--all of them--then and only then even consider cutting taxes. Today, his message appears in the Beckley Register-Herald (article no longer available online). Do Helmick and his cohorts in the legislative leadership of the Ruling Party really think we, the people of West Virginia, believe them? Or do they think we all have "STUPID" written on our foreheads and will buy this load of male bovine excrement, let the Legislature forego cutting taxes with a promise of appropriating that money toward accelerated debt reduction, and then watch as the Legislature passes spending increases with the money they said they would apply to accelerated debt reduction?

The Ruling Party cannot be trusted to keep a promise like the one they would like you to think they're extending. Of course, that would only be the case if they were actually making such a promise. The fact, however, is they're not even making such a promise but have cleverly phrased their talking points to make us think they're doing so. They have made no promise to forego new spending--as the flip side of foregoing tax cuts--to pay for accelerating the paydown of the pension debts. As I said Wednesday, the state is proceeding under a 40-year structured amortization of this debt based on a schedule of annual payments that we are meeting and will continue to meet even if our economy remains as it has been, for the next 30 years.

It would be one thing if the Ruling Party was asking us to forego tax cuts and them to forego more spending by adopting a constitutional amendment restricting the growth of state spending other than debt payments. However, they are not doing that and would not be permitted to do that by their own constituencies. Do we really think they're planning to do something responsible and pay for the proposed public employee pay raises by identifying and cutting other excesses in government? Or is it really the case that these raises plus whatever other programs are on the drawing board are to be financed with the money we're being led to believe would be applied to accelerating the payoff of the pension debts because the leadership of the Ruling Party knows that if the people are offered the option of tax cuts or more spending (and no other options), we would overwhelmingly choose to keep some of our tax dollars?

The people of West Virginia are yearning to keep more of their own money. Our economy suffers from high taxes, a complicated tax code, and lavish corporate welfare that excessively meddles with the economy. We would be willing to accept some tax cuts and some acceleration in the debt payoff if the future growth of government is constitutionally limited as Colorado has done and Ohio may do soon. Until then, the Ruling Party's rhetoric is nothing more than a ruse to try to prevent us from demanding they reduce the amount of money we're now spending to finance a state government that is larger per capita than 47 other states and all 10 Canadian provinces.

Walt, ain't that a Republican on your right?

Friday April 10, 2009
Senator uses unique voting aid
This doohickey indicates a 'Yea' vote
by Jake Stump
Daily Mail Capitol Reporter
Tom Hindman
Sen. Walt Helmick, D-Pocahontas, creates a new contraption every year to cast his votes during the legislative session. This year's "voting stick" features a pine cone, which he says represents the state's timber industry.
Advertisement - Your ad here

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A broken-off broom handle, Gorilla Glue and an unusual yellow pine cone.

Those sound like items from which only MacGyver could construct a useful gadget.

But the West Virginia Legislature has its own master doohickey finagler in Sen. Walt Helmick.

As Senate Finance chairman, Helmick, D-Pocahontas, isn't just keen on numbers. He's known for assembling some bizarre, creative gadgets to cast his votes every year.

Near the end of each legislative session, lawmakers break out what they call "voting sticks" to punch 'Yea' and 'Nay' buttons at their desks.

While most legislators use small wooden rods or dowels, Helmick is more creative.

This year, he snapped off a broom handle, painted it green and glued the pine cone on the end of the stick.

His children probably fared well in science fairs.

Helmick said his 2009 model represents the green movement and the timber industry.

"There's a lot of talk about the timber industry," he said. "Of course, I'm much in favor of the timber industry."

May we humbly suggest that a screwdriver would be a better symbol?

Of then there is the Walt D. Helmick Detention Center for the Criminally Insane out at Edray! What about that non existent certificate of need! Better hope that some of those "patients" don't let themselves out into the community for a self-directed tour!!!!

Oh, yes I almost forgot that $485,000 mortgage you are paying on with a $20,000 per year salary!!!!

Of course, we also will make note of the smelly fish deal with the county commission and that "golf" money deal!! I have some "paperwork" on that one you might like to look at!!!

Welcome to the Blogosphere, Walt!

Poor it on him Stinky...dawg...

What would you do to reduce the cost of government in WV? Combine some county governments?lower salaries? What? I do not remember any candidate ,either county or statewide that has ever brought the topic up.
I believe that Walt Helmick should be governor of the state: His being from Pocahontas County would help him see the special problems of low population scattered over a wide area,reasons for lack of jobs,difficulties in education, you name the rest.

And I thought there were no personal attacks allowed, I guess it depends on who is doing the attacking and who is being attacked.

aahhhh, what's the name of that country club facility that is home for all those 'white collar' criminals?

?????????.The point?

I also would support Walt.

He has always been straight up with me!

That's about as swift as refusing to go down in the cellar because no tornado ever ripped up your shack...

Apparently Walt didn't take your position at some time or another.

If you have evidence (not hear say) that he has done something wrong bring charges against him.

OH I FORGOT YOU DON'T NEED EVIDENCE IN POCAHONTAS, HEAR SAY IS GOOD ENOUGH! MY MISTAKE

Walt let himself be taxed for residential when he was using the land for commercial.

cheap trick

Stinkwell Tater
Walt let himself be taxed for residential when he was using the land for commercial.

It happens time and again hardly a criminal offense.

Now if that really bothers you, bring it to Walts attention or the Assessor's and get those due taxes!

I hope Norman isn't thinking about cheating on his wife, he sure does have a hard on for Walt

I think Walt would make a great Governor. Maybe Pocahontas County would get more attention if he were to become the Governor.

Yes, About as much attention as he pays to Pocahontas County now, which is just about nothing.

Walt just a good old boy and protected his own interest. It doesn't hurt to hear the truth or does it. Norman keep up the good work. We all learn one way or another.

I have seen Walt at work and I know how he does things. And I don't like what I see!

My Lord I hope not!! This state would be in an awful mess. To bad we can't keep Gov. Manchin in forever. I think he has done a wonderful job for us.

"keep Gov. Manchin in forever"?

You have got to be kidding.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!