chippingnorton.net forum

THIS FORUM IS MODERATED  POSTS MAY BE EDITED
The webmaster will remove stupid, personal and off-topic posts.
His decision is final 

All Views are welcome.
Please be constructive and try not to crticise other people.
If you are comfortable in the Forum join the discussion.
If you don't like the Forum then don't stay around. 
Don't bother to post saying you don't like the Forum 
because thats really boring and nobody is interested
Posting under the name of a real person (not yourself) is not allowed.
Personal criticisms of recognisable people is not allowed.
Jokes or messages not understandable to everybody are not allowed.

NO ADS PLEASE (use the CLASSIFIEDS)
NO GRATUITOUS NAME-CALLING. NO PERSONAL INSULTS.
NO SWEARING OR DISGUISED SWEARING. NO LIBELS.

Posts such as "Hear Hear" "Well said" "Like he said" will be deleted

The use of the expression "Get a Life" is banned on this Forum.
Posts complaining about deletions will be deleted!
Have a nice day.     

Aug 5-We would be grateful if you didn't open any new threads or continue existing ones  other than that one relating to Gerry.

Index > Chippy Forum > The Soapbox > State of footpath along the B4450
Forum: The Soapbox
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
State of footpath along the B4450

I know that there is a recession, but the above path is in an awful state, particularly between Westfield Farm and East Churchill Grounds Farm Road. It's so overgrown
in places that it's almost disappeared, and overhanging
brambles, etc, from the hedgerows, make it more difficult to walk on, especially partway between Westfield and the Meads Farm road. Perhaps WODC cannot
afford to maintain this(and other)roadside paths, due to
budget constraints, but maybe they could be cleared by
volunteers(Health & Safety regulations permitting).

Re: State of footpath along the B4450

Clearly the path is not used by The Chipping Norton set or Lord Chadlington!

Why should we have to undertake essential maintenance, any volunteering should be in a capacity to add to existing services eg giing a hand with extra trips for the elderly, perhaps by fund raising for extra equipment in the playgrounds etc

I will speak to WODC. I do not always read this site and it would be helpful if residents could contact me when they have an issue that needs sorting out.
01993 831822.

To be fair whenever we have contacted WODC because a path is obstructed by overgrowth they have hastily seen to it.

Rather than spending money the council don't have or using vaulenteers, this is exactley the kind of work that could be carried by local jobseekers in return for their benifits.

I would love to clear the bracken; but I have a jobseekers interview this am, a job interview this afternoon and a training course tomorrow morning. When would you like me to schedule it in?

Quote: Jobless Jim
I would love to clear the bracken; but I have a jobseekers interview this am, a job interview this afternoon and a training course tomorrow morning. When would you like me to schedule it in?

Thursday

I have an interview thursday - what to do? interview or clear the bracken? Please advise so I can let the job centre know please.

Maybe it would be nice if you guys stopped mocking the jobless as you could be joining them in the near future.

Not all people without jobs are lazy and you should not assume it.

How about you lot go and do it on saturday!!!!

The only person mocking the jobless here is jobless jim.
Of course not every jobless person is lazy, everyone understands that but job-hunting, training and interviews do not fill an entire week, week after week.
Voluntary work in the local community would help those out of work to maintain a strong work ethic and will represent a continuation of employment rather than unemployment which will help when applying for jobs.
Of I were unemployed and had the time on my hands I would be there clearing that particular bracken for no other reason than that by the weekend someone on this much read forum would ask who was doing it.
"that's me" I could reply, "I'm looking for a job if you know if any going"
You have to admit, job result or not, it would be time better spent than sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring.

Unfortunately if you are unemployed you exactly need to be waiting for the phone to ring !! from prospective employers hopefully.

It would be impossible to suggest unemployed people undertake work for the council because of scheduling on both sides. Also, an unemployed person cannot put volunteering work ahead of employment, attending the job centre, filling in council forms for benefits, attending council offices to hand in forms. Chasing jobs, writing applications, going for interviews - its quite nice that the unemployed person may make theirselves a cup of tea at some point [:) Also clearing bracken may show initiative and willingness to work; but for some jobs it may not be the experience they are looking for of clearing away bracken - when they may better help theirselves attending courses of skills an employer is looking for.

P.S. job seekers have a booklet they have to fill in showing how they have been looking for work; this is issued by DWP; so yes job hunting does take all week, it takes as long as you are looking for a job. I suggest you go and clear the bracken yourself instead of suggesting that unemployed people undertake it.

You don't have to wait by the phone though do you, there are such things as mobiles!
And of course you should spend as much time as necessary searching and training for work but although in the first weeks of unemployment this can take a fair amount of time, if your initial search is not successful then as weeks go by to suggest that you are busy looking for work for 40 or 50 hours a week is simply not true.

Im sorry to inform you that if you are unemployed you do continue to search for work, you continue to visit the job centre, you continue to attend back to work interviews at the job centre; you continue to fill out job applications, you continue to fill out benefit paperwork if applicable - until you find a job! You do need to keep yourself available for work, by means of access to email, and telephone. If you need further information I suggest you contact DWP; perhaps you can put to them your idea for unemployed people to clear the bracken of the footpath of the B4450. P.S. You are not required to look for work 40-50 hours per week, I suggest you contact DWP for their jobseekers procedures

...but any employer will look favourably on someone who has used a bit of common sense and done something practical in the community. Just a thought.

I dont think the council will allow it because it may be someone else's job you are doing; and these people need access to the correct equipment to do the job and to know what they are doing so as know what is bracken and what is not. They might clear away a tree that is under a preservation order.

And unless you are looking for a job as a gardener those skills may not be applicable to the kind of job the employer is looking to fill - just a thought.

I suggest you put it to DWP and see what they say! but you may have to fill in a number of forms to do so

I would have thought that the people to be doing this type of work are people who have committed criminal offences but don't need to be locked up 24/7.

They've taken something out of the community, and should put something back....makes "paying your debt to society" a much more meaningful phrase.

Jobless Jim, it does sound as though you're trying very hard to find work and alot of folk are in the same boat as you but there are also chronically unemployed people who could certainly put in a few hours a week doing this type of thing.

Yes but then you would probably complain about having excons in the n'hood!

Im sure if the government felt it would help unemployed people to undertake this kind of work Im sure would have applied it. Im no careers adviser - Not too sure what chronically unemployed means - long term? If so they need to be assessed at what they are capable of and what skills they have or could gain to find a suitable employer.

Hate to point it out - but there a health & safety issue element to undertaking this kind of work, and also they would need to be supervised on what needs trimming and what should be kept - then the machinery or equipment to undertake the task, there is more than getting fred to cut a few weeds away than you think. Perhaps the council could take on apprentices if the work needs doing

But it's not about a particular bit of bracken that needs clearing. It's about wether unemployed people should seek/be allocated voluntary work in the comunity during the large amount of spare time that they have while being unemployed.
You seem to be trying to convince us that being unemployed is harder work and takes up more time than having a job and that's rubbish.

Being unemployed and not being able to pay your bills is probably not too pleasant, rather stressful. The Priority for unemployed people is to find paid employment to support theirselves not voluntary work. If people think being unemployed is so much fun - join them and see how much fun it is.

So you really are telling me that being unemployed takes a much time, day in, day out, week after week, as actualy having a job?

FLC

It is a constant surprise to me how you allow yourself to be wound up by Buzz and his various avatars.

I'm closing this thread since it has wandered so far from the original topic

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Email Forms 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com