chippingnorton.net forum

THIS FORUM IS MODERATED  POSTS MAY BE EDITED
The webmaster will remove stupid, personal and off-topic posts.
His decision is final 

All Views are welcome.
Please be constructive and try not to crticise other people.
If you are comfortable in the Forum join the discussion.
If you don't like the Forum then don't stay around. 
Don't bother to post saying you don't like the Forum 
because thats really boring and nobody is interested
Posting under the name of a real person (not yourself) is not allowed.
Personal criticisms of recognisable people is not allowed.
Jokes or messages not understandable to everybody are not allowed.

NO ADS PLEASE (use the CLASSIFIEDS)
NO GRATUITOUS NAME-CALLING. NO PERSONAL INSULTS.
NO SWEARING OR DISGUISED SWEARING. NO LIBELS.

Posts such as "Hear Hear" "Well said" "Like he said" will be deleted

The use of the expression "Get a Life" is banned on this Forum.
Posts complaining about deletions will be deleted!
Have a nice day.     

Aug 5-We would be grateful if you didn't open any new threads or continue existing ones  other than that one relating to Gerry.

The Soapbox
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
"Say No To Sainsburys"

A small hick town wants to stand in the way of progress!
I could understand if some of the local shops were not so greedy!
For goodness sake it is now 2011 and time maybe to come out of the dark ages!
Lets hope sensiblility will prevail!!

An R Key

Re: "Say No To Sainsburys"

ANN R KEY people don,t like the idea of sainsbury because when parker knoll put all those people out of work for profit they knew industrial units would not be built but they did,nt care now a big company like sainsbury will railroad in and kill the town and as you said it,s a hick town, well if you don,t like it go somewhere else

I was amazed to see someone will hire the C&C for a meeting to complain about Sainsburys. Its not a hick town but for heavens sake there have been hundreds of houses built over recent years yet it hasnt progressed with a decent size supermarket so people are travelling out of town to shop.

As for industial units on the Bus garage site obviously after all these years it isnt going to happen so surely it is better to use the space than leave it idle. Unless you would like the new rubbish tip on it. Now hows that an idea to stir things up!!!!

Be amazed no longer.
Nobody has "hired" the Crown & Cushion
The proprietress of the Crown (who strongly believes that an out of town supermarket will ruin the town centre) has kindly offered the use of the function room for this meeting.

Her son manages a hotel in Brackley and has seen first-hand what a market town in decline looks like.

What amazes me in Chippy is the way so many people seem happy to sign up for increased traffic congestion, much worse air pollution, closed shops and decreasing serious employment - all for a bit of extra personal convenience!!

chippy needs a new store, it will bring money into the town instead of people travelling to banbury to do their shopping, with the cost of fuel these days it will be more green. chippy needs to move with the times, sainsburys has good selection of goods in there banbury store, even the basic range is good and less expensive , which is what is needed in the present ecconomic times,hopefully they will stock some childrens clothes you cannot buy in chippy, and lastly surely more jobs are important and let face it more jobs mean more money to be spent in the town. bring it on sooner the better

I seem to remember a similar argument when WH Smith came to town. Book shops and paper shops will close - ummmmm did it happen?

By the way how long has the manageress of the Crown been in Chippy to see it change as it has. I wonder where she does her main grocery shopping.

Nonsense there waas no such argument

Menzies were there before!!

Isn't the co-op supposed to be expanding sometime soon? Surely this would provide some of the convenience that people are after?

The Co-op is far too expensive for everyday shopping - that's why the majority go to Banbury!

Menzies was were dotty ps is I think you will find, they were the days when we had two supermarkets in town and they were the same (gateways). Bring on sainsburys lets have it built soon.

I'm not sure you can compare Brackley with Chipping Norton. There's not much in the way of shops there to attract people except for Tesco's, Waitrose, The Antiques Cellar and the various coffee shops which seem to be springing up. At least Chippy is near Oxford and on the doorstep to the Cotswolds and attracts a lot of people to the area. Cyclists, motorcyclists, campers and those on their way to wherever stop over in Chippy - I don't know why anyone would want to stop over in Brackley on their way to anywhere in the same way.
The discussion about Sainsbury's will go on ad-nauseum, and then it will be built after all.....thank goodness.

Not for the first time I like your thinking AoS.

I think the businesses and other worthies in the town should be working out how they can make the most of this opportunity and talking to Sainsburys not snarling at them.

I lived for a few years in Frome, in many ways similar to C.N, with a good market & local businesses. Then came the edge of town supermarket & the town centre is largely closed down.I can't understand the arguments for going to large supermarkets in Banbury "because they're cheaper", with fuel costs as they are,how much are people buying to make up for the time & travel cost?Maybe it explains the increasingly obese population !

Having come to live here not so long ago, having lived in large towns and small towns similar in character to CN but with branches of large supermarkets, my experience is that they charge according to the nearby competition rather than others some ten miles away. I admire the optimism that Sainsbury's will be any different and charge Banbury prices here.

say no to sainsburys, say yes to tesco.

I am in full support of Sainsbury's and I will be attending this meeting to hear what is said and make my point too. Bloody nonsense.

I bet you wont!!
By the time you posted this the meeting had already been going for three quarters of an hour!

Didn't hear any opposition at the meeting.

75 people totally opposed and ready to fight.

Thank goodness.

G
I am in full support of Sainsbury's and I will be attending this meeting to hear what is said and make my point too. Bloody nonsense.

All talk little man!!

Gerry
Didn't hear any opposition at the meeting.

75 people totally opposed and ready to fight.

Thank goodness.

I will support my local shops, my heart really goes out to them. If Sainsburys is built there, it is a ticking bomb a. for a business to close b. someone to be killed

All this talk! Why not put it to the vote of all Chippy people and see what the general public really want!

1 2 3 4