chippingnorton.net forum

THIS FORUM IS MODERATED  POSTS MAY BE EDITED
The webmaster will remove stupid, personal and off-topic posts.
His decision is final 

All Views are welcome.
Please be constructive and try not to crticise other people.
If you are comfortable in the Forum join the discussion.
If you don't like the Forum then don't stay around. 
Don't bother to post saying you don't like the Forum 
because thats really boring and nobody is interested
Posting under the name of a real person (not yourself) is not allowed.
Personal criticisms of recognisable people is not allowed.
Jokes or messages not understandable to everybody are not allowed.

NO ADS PLEASE (use the CLASSIFIEDS)
NO GRATUITOUS NAME-CALLING. NO PERSONAL INSULTS.
NO SWEARING OR DISGUISED SWEARING. NO LIBELS.

Posts such as "Hear Hear" "Well said" "Like he said" will be deleted

The use of the expression "Get a Life" is banned on this Forum.
Posts complaining about deletions will be deleted!
Have a nice day.     

Aug 5-We would be grateful if you didn't open any new threads or continue existing ones  other than that one relating to Gerry.

Index > Chippy Forum > The Soapbox > Greystones Building
Forum: The Soapbox
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Greystones Building

I was talking to a friend today who has told me that Greystones Building has been completely trashed.

Not just windows broken but completely and utterly trashed.

All of the Lead from the roof has gone, all of the floors in the building have been ripped up and the wiring ripped out (Lets guess where the plastic outer coating will be burnt) look for the black smoke next to Real Armas Pitch!!! Fire Brigade better be on alert for another visit.

All of the plumbing, toilets, systerns gone.

Roofs caved in where water now leaks through the roof.

If the council is not careful they will be paying to have the building demolished and taken away rather than selling it for a profit.

Why wasn't is all sold off when it was up together and saleable?

Re: Greystones Building

My property agent and i tried to get some discussion going with the Council regarding Greystones House, we tried numerous time to get to speak to somebody and every time we got the 'not ready yet' response. I can understand that there was covenant and lease issues to iron out but it is polite to keep a line of dialogue open with potential buyers. We gave up after 6 months.

Mr Gonzales Your friend is telling you porkies. All the costumes and scenery of the Nortonians were safely stored in there until a few months ago.

Ronnie. Your post is cobblers. I was in charge of getting Greystones ready for market up to May this year and you didn't speak to me in the last two years.

Gerry

I was there with him at Greystones with him.

I think you need to get up to date with the state of the place. All of this damage might be a recent event.

I suggest a council visit might be urgently required

Gerry we never met anyone as we weren't getting any positive response from the Town Clerk, my acting agent was S. Rutledge from FisherGerman.

P.S if you read my post i'm confirming that in 6 months or so of trying to arrange some discussion with the Town Council we gave up after being told ' were not ready to sell' by the Town Clerk.

Gerry, sorry but you are wrong on this one, the place has been trashed, any, and I mean any, cooper or lead that was in the building has been removed, and not in a delicate and expert manner, if you do not believe us may I suggest you go and have a look and comment after.

Ronnie - You didn't try very hard. You should have spoken to a councillor. Councillors take thr decisions

Mr Gonzale and Local - I am completely familiar with the state of Greystones. I was in and out of the building quite regularly until May. Certainly its in a bad state but the description of it that started this thread is absurdly exagerrated.

I'm sure that if the house has been trashed in the last few weeks to the extent you are describing we would have heard about it.

It still has a value which is why we have spent so much time and effort getting the house ready for a sale.

We had an estimate that selling it for scrap would fetch £50,000 - there's a lot of useful stone in there. So suggesting thatthe council would have to pay to have it demolished is another load of tosh.

The neglect of Greystones goes back for many many years and is a disgrace. As many people will know the original deal was that the house would be a clubhouse for both the Rugby Club and the Bowling Club - changing rooms, bars and social rooms. Both those clubs built there own premises and Greystones was left with no purpose or earning capacity.

Whoever was on the council at the time and allowed both clubs to walk away without assuming any kind of responsibilty for the ongoing maintenance of the house should have been shot.

Gerry - The first point of contact for someone trying to get a meeting arranged is the Town Clerk, contact details were left, the Clerk must have passed this on to who ever was dealing with the sale of the buiding, if this wasn't done then thats an issue for the Town Council, I decided that im not going to wait forever whilst issues with leases and covenants are worked out and now as it so happens i'm committed to another project.

I think what Local is saying is - the state the property was in May maybe not what it is in at this moment - get somebody to check it out ASAP.

Your arrogance is astounding Gerry.

Ronnie You are wrong. If you're not getting anywhere with the Town Clerk you contact a councillor. Pretty obvious really.

Greystones is an an awful state for sure. However just to quote things which were mentioned in the first post. "All of the floors in the building have been ripped up and the wiring ripped out...All of the plumbing, toilets, systerns gone. Roofs caved in where water now leaks through the roof."
None of this was true a few weeks ago. Its difficult to see that these things would have changed much since then.

However,somebody does go down to Greytsones every week to check things over so if something has happened since May this will have been reported back to the Town Council. I'll ask about it.

I am totally sick of people rubbishing the Town Council when they are trying their best.

Quote:
Greystones is an an awful state for sure. However just to quote things which were mentioned in the first post. "All of the floors in the building have been ripped up and the wiring ripped out...All of the plumbing, toilets, systerns gone. Roofs caved in where water now leaks through the roof
None of this was true a few weeks ago. Its difficult to see that these things would have changed much since then.

Gerry

You are not up to date on the state of the building, I think you will find our friends in the corner have reduced the building to demolition zone in the last week or so. Just as local has stated who is obviously up to speed on this as well.

I'm sure that somebody will have been to have a look by now. The Forum is read by people in the Guildhall.
If you are right then this is very bad news.

But I am a bit puzzled. How did you get into the building? And why haven't you reported this recent damage to the Town Council directly?

Re-posted after editing

Gerry

It has been reported and visited by a council worker.

So thats OK then.

With a planned sale we don't need any more bad publicity about the state of the building.

Quote: S.Gonzalez
Quote:
Greystones is an an awful state for sure. However just to quote things which were mentioned in the first post. "All of the floors in the building have been ripped up and the wiring ripped out...All of the plumbing, toilets, systerns gone. Roofs caved in where water now leaks through the roof

Gerry

You are not up to date on the state of the building, I think you will find our friends in the corner have reduced the building to demolition zone in the last week or so. Just as local has stated who is obviously up to speed on this as well.

our friends in the corner ? is this fact or are you just assuming our friends in the corner have done all this damage ,did you see them carrying out this criminal damage and theft ? and if what you say is fact then why are the police not involved ,you can not just assume things

Well said Just Me. No more speculation please. Lets leave things to the cops.

I am still interested in what S. Gonzales was up to poking around Greystones without authority. Authorised visitors are always accompanied - precisely because of the Health and Safety issues.

This is like Cluedo,
It was S.Gonzales, in the Greystones Building without the copper piping.

Local

It was without anything...everything had gone!!!

Gerry...It might be possible that I have authority to be in said building.

Enough said now..Let the Cops and "lead and copper" robbers sort it out now.

Mr Gonzales

So you had authority to be in the building?

Now you must tell us who you are and who gave you authority - otherwise how on earth can we believe you?

I actually don't think you have been inside at all because you didn't mention all the dead rats which was the thing that always spooked me the most.

BTW did you mention to whoever it was that gave you authority to go into the building that you planned to publish your own description of the state of the place? And did you clear it with them??

Pull the other one Mr Gonzales. Sounds like you may be the mysterious copper thief yourself!!

Be careful what you write on here. Although I can't identify you from your IP address the police certainly can.

Gerry, S. Gonzales is correct, sad as it is the place has been stripped, maybe more people have seen this than you might believe.

If the council had pulled their finger out (I do understand that it was complex)and got this building to market sooner, then it would have been in a better order than it is now!

If you can gain legal access to view the property you really should, you will be amazed.

I will refrain from any further comment until I've had a look. I suspect that you are all just expressing the same degree of shock as I did when I first saw the inside of the place two years ago!!

I can assure you that any delay in getting to market has been entirely down to the WODC Legal Dept. Now the Tories are in power in Chippy perhaps they can persuade their mates in Witney to move a bit faster.

I am genuinely surprised to hear that ther have been lots of people tramping over the place. Who are they and what are they up to??

Mr Allcock

Please dont send my husband to prison, he is a good mouse. He was only reporting what a council man had told him. He is not a lead or copper thief, you really shouldn't go accusing him of that.

He is the sole cheese provider in the house. The children cannot live on Copper and Lead, its cheese we need. You are a bully...Leave him alone.

I had a look at the greystones building today and although it is pretty run down, it is just in need of refurbishment and the roof does not seem to be caved in!

It appears that the lead has been stolen from the bay windows but generally looks like what it is.
A building that has not been maintained for many years.

Run down but still a very nice solid building.

Does anyone know the guide price for the sale?

Mrs Gonzales

I have been meaning to ask.

What does the S stand for in your husband's name.

Is it Speedy by any chance?

Big Billy Bowser

Knowing your expertise in these matters what do you reckon its worth???

Well,

It really does depend on its intended use.

It could probably be brought back to its former glory for between 150k and 250k again depending on its intended use and based on an average specification.

Taking into account the works needed it should be worth in excess of 400k for commercial and more if sold with some land and as a possible residential development.

This is my opinion only, not on a professional level.

It is a fantastic building and should be used and not demolished.

Why wasn't this building offered as the new youth centre as opposed to spending the money on the new one at glyme lane?

It was offered to the County Council as a youth centre. They decided it was too remote.

The truth is probably that Greystones would have cost them a lot to refurbish and they knew that they stood a good chance of getting £1m from central government to build a new one.

My own hunch is that the District Council will soon realise that they can't simply renege on their promise for industrial units on the Parker Knoll site. So they will undertake to provide them at Greystones (thus allowing Sainsbury's to go ahead). The house would convert nicely into offices as part of a redeveloped Industrial estate (perhaps paid for by Saainsbury's). So I suspect that sooner rather than later the District Council will start showing serious interest in buying Greystones.

The trick will be to ensure that Chippy gets the best possible price for it.

When I read this earlier todayI was struck by how constructive it sounded.

I predict that with a round trip to either Alkerton, Ardly and Dix Pit of around 40 miles each, within two years Greystones yard will be a reclamation centre and be welcomed with open arms.

gerry just to fill you in on a few facts,the bowls club used a room in greystones for a bar and invited the rugby club up there because they could not sell there beer quota,something we were quite happy to do, when they raised enough money for there new building mr ron stares helped the rugby club get it for a permanent base which i for one still thank him for, the rugby club decorated the whole building and fitted showers and changing rooms which the kids used for football training after we had gone and we left it in a clean and tidy state as it was inspected when we left,the council had plenty of opportunities to re-let or sell but did neither so i think you should blame the council for the state of the building not previous residents thankyou,and the band were still in there after the rugby club had left

You misunderstood me. I do blame the council.

Mind you. you are talking about years ago. Other tenants have been in since the Rugby Club left and they have certainly contributed to the general dilapidation.

WODC who rented several rooms at the back of the house allowed ivy to invade their space and take over one of the rooms!!

Dear Mystic Meg,
Greystones was turned down by the County Council as being unsuitable. I would worry that with Chippy Swifts on one side and the Rugby Club on the other- with many families with young children running around while games are in play, it would become a dangerous road with all the extra traffic. It wouldn't be a site i would recommend however it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

Dear Hilary,

Thank you for that reply but your answers do beg more questions, you make the point about Swifts on one side and the Rugby on the other, is this the reason why WODC have failed to regenerate Greystones as a business park? Isn’t this the same as the PK enterprise failure, did it not occur to anyone involved at WODC that an industrial complex between homes and a school would be dangerous and that many people’s views including the Council’s were that the industrial complex should have been furthest away from town? Or was this the intention all along?

As for thoughts wouldn’t it be feasible for WODC to purchase the Swifts playing field off the Council to extend Greystones yard and make a worthwhile industrial park? The Swifts could be relocated behind Greystones House and with the money from the sale of the land refurbish the house for theirs and community use?

Dear Mystic Meg,
i was responding as a County Councillor I am not your District Councillor.You were stating a recycling centre not business units. However,I am all for for business units in Chipping Norton.

Sorry about that Hilary, you didn’t make it clear which hat you were wearing, even so OCC applied to WODC for planning permission to use Greystones as a storage area for waste bins etc, so in theory you could be wearing both hard hats.

Quote: Cllr Hilary Biles
Dear Mystic Meg,
Greystones was turned down by the County Council as being unsuitable. I would worry that with Chippy Swifts on one side and the Rugby Club on the other- with many families with young children running around while games are in play, it would become a dangerous road with all the extra traffic. It wouldn't be a site i would recommend however it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

Just a minute! ‘Greystones was turned down by the County Council as being unsuitable’ So there was despite denials an intention to re-locate Dean pit to Chippy, those cheeky monkeys at WODC said it would only be used as a storage depot for unused bins and lorries.

There were many sites looked at by the County for centres. It was not just about Dean Pit.This was one of them. I agree, when change of use came up I asked WODC to confirm Greystones would only be used for storage. I was told it would be for storage. If by chance there is to be a change to this then there would have to be an application again for change of use. However, you are the one stating it will become a recycling centre Mystic Meg.

Thank you Hilary, but with respect the only “pit” that mattered to Chippy was Dean Pit, and looking at the map from WODC anyone from nearby will have a round trip of around 40 miles to dispose of rubbish so I have to believe WODC will find an alternative nearby. Part of the planning application submitted for Greystones applied for permission to employ 30 people plus opening times 6am -5pm Mom to Fri, 6am to 5pm Sat & Sun and 6am to 5pm Bank Holidays, a bit strange don’t you think for WODC to merely store storage bins don’t you think? Unless they were like the bins at Dean with the associated infrastructure. So sorry Hilary you may believe WODC but my Cristal Ball says otherwise.

In Greystones, WODC offer unsuitable and decapitated buildings that no one wants, and use this to claim no one is interested in establishing a business in Chipping Norton.
Perhaps WODC can allay that fear by announcing a meaningful attempt at making Greystones an employment area instead of offering unsuitable and decapitated buildings.

As I said, I am all for employment.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com