THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: underrated singers

You've likely never heard of them, but Anthony Green of Circa Survive has a VERY odd sounding voice. It's like he has no chest voice. He almost sounds like a woman. Very very light but raspy. Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria (when he's not exhausted from tour) has a pretty decent range (he hits an E6 on their second album) but his voice can go from sounding huge, dark and weighty to a Geddy Lee-esque cut. Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance is...Well, decent. I think he conveys a lot of emotion when he sings though.

The guy from GWAR is pretty underrated too. He's got a big evil sounding voice without growling or screaming.

There are a bunch of them that I can think of, but here are some of my favorites: Lou Graham (Foreigner) Don Dokken (Dokken) Joey Belladonna (Anthrax) Michael (I think!)Sweet (Stryper)Zack Stevens and Jon Oliva (Savatage) Michael Kieske (Helloween) Matt Barlow and Tim "Ripper" Owens (Iced Earth. Yeah, I know people hated Tim in Judas Priest, but he's fabulous in Iced Earth) John West (Royal Hunt, Feinstein). These are just a few off the top of my head, but there are several more I could come up with that I have admired greatly.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add Damon Johnson of Brother Cane, Slave to the System. Damon is currently Alice Cooper's guitarist, but the stuff he did with Brother Cane and the stuff he is doing now with Slave to the System proves that he has got one hell of a good rock and roll voice!

James Fater:
<>

I think you mean E5, which is the E above Tenor C.

I think the singer from Survivor has an awesome voice as well as Robert Fleischman. Robert is freaking amazing. One of my favorite singers is a pop/soul singer named Melvin Riley from an 80's band called Ready for the World.

JV

Here are 3 that weren't mentioned but are among my favorites: Dio, Ray Gillen and Van Morrison. Van doesn't get much cred with the hard rock dudes, but the guy as a great, blues belter!

I agree with you Austin!
Kip Winger is one of the most underrated singers/songwriters of the rock scene.
I suggest to listen his "pull" album from 91' i think.

Yeah, it is an E5 legato, I actually typed 6 and erased it and then retyped it again and didn't catch it.

The guy who was in Sheriff/Alias - I think he's Fred Curci or sumthin' like that.

Kevin Dubrow - loud and powerful.

David Coverdale.

Like others said - Hagar - all the live stuff I've heard of him he hits all the notes.

Richie Sambora is definitely one of the best, probably the best singer in Bon Jovi nowadays!

The guy from Virgin Steele.

John Corabi.

The lead singer from King's X.

Tons more that don't come to mind now.

Personally, i think Jack Black is a really good singer too....lol....but he definitely doesnt come to mind when i think of good singers....and i never hear people say good stuff about his voice....people just talk about the lyrics which are usually a bit stupid....so i think hes underrated

Re: Re: underrated singers

I forgot a great singer... Ray Gillen (badlands)RIP
woooow!

Some other favorites of mine that don't get enough credit are Steve Walsh (Kansas) and both Dennis DeYoung and Tommy Shaw from Styx. Especially Tommy Shaw.

See, i forgot to mention another good singer... Vince Neil from Motley Crue
I think his voice is awesome...but once again when i list my favourite singers to people, i usually forget about him....

I agree about Jack Black. He is a great singer imo.

So many people listing singers here, I completely adore. You guys have great taste!

Another one: Mitch Malloy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IvAHgNOWkk

Thom Yorke.

Jacoby and Papa Roach are from my hometown Vacaville, CA. They started off as a ska band and morphed in to a rap/rock act. We are very proud of them and their humble beginnings. I agree that Jacoby has made himself a good singer.

Great italian singer Michele Luppi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcoN1muv1u4

I have been trying to contact Michele for an interview. He attended MI in LA a few years after me.

JV

woow! id like to read about his vocal technique...

Not sure if he is underrated or not but I never hear alot about him. Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge. I really like his voice.

Shaun Morgan of Seether. He is a tenor believe it or not. He can scream very high and raspy and do it live too.

Yeah, Myles Kennedy is awesome fo sho

Rob Rock from Impellitari (and now as a solo artist)
Roy Cathey from Cold Sweat, (and now in The Fifth)
They are without a doubt two of the best--

Fred Curci from Alias and Sheriff. They had a song out in the 80's called "More Than Words Can Say".
Someone else mentioned him on this list-- He has a new Cd coming out.

Paul Shortino from Rough Cutt doesn't get mentioned much either. He is one of my favs. He has that amazing "smokey/blues" tone.

David Glenn Eisley from Guiffria and Dirty White Boy.
Very unique voice and he used to be a a picther for the San Fransisco Giants. I have his baseball card somewhere.

Fernando Garcia from Victory. I love his tone--I hope he starts singing again soon.

Eric Martin from Mr. Big. Sounds great live....

Lou Gramm from Foreigner-- and the main singer from Kansas--Can't think of his name right now. Both great.

Kelly Hanson from Hurricane--He's Foreigner's new singer actually....

Steve Grimmet from Grim Reaper---Huge voice!!

Bruce Nauman from Hericane Alice-- Saw him live-- Awesome. He used to be a drummer and started singing to fill in temporary...

Zach Stevens from Savatage & Circle II Circle
Andy Engberg from Lionshare-- He sang on the first 3-
Matts Levins from Swedish Erotica and Yngwie Malmsteen

Many more....

Alanis Morisette. Her voice is amazing when it comes to singing words that you wouldn't normally use in songs.

Listen to Wunderkind or Uninvited.

Speaking of Uninvited-- Has anyone heard Tony Harnell's version on Westworld's Skin CD? It's really good. Skin is a great track as well as the whole Starbreaker CD.

Speaking of Tony make me think of Don Lawrence who once worked with Ray West...Which makes me wonder.... You ever finish writing out that interview for me??? ;)He knows who I'm talking to ;)

JV

I haven't forgotten. My wife is taking over to speed it up. She's much faster at typing. He's playing close to me on the 9th at Dingbats in Clinton NJ I have a show myself that night.