THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discovered" the dirt/grit/scream/etc - live only?

First of all RX88, I never once said that classical singers sounded the same. That was someone else. You know that, and you know I'm not attacking you. You're one of the people who's helped me plenty a time on this board, but I WILL state that your logic is flawed, my friend. The fact that there are less classical singers only shows the discrepency in cultural popularity. If I decided to start singing WAY off key on purpose and putting it to music that sounds very melodic, I'd probably be very unpopular, and very few people would try to mimic said style. Now, would that mean that singing horribly off key would be the most difficult style of singing, simply because there would be so few people doing it?

I'm not comparing classical singers to my extreme example of course. I'm just saying that the idea of a singing style being more difficult to master based on its popularity, or the lack thereof, is unssubstantiated.

My ENTIRE POINT of stating that rock singing is the most difficult in my eyes is that we utilize every technique that any classical singer would use in regards to training our voices toward being the best they possibly can. BUT, classical singers don't implement all the techniques that rock singers do. Therefore, rock singing requires the mastery of more techniques used simultaneously than any other genre I know of. Luv ya.

P.S. I oughta bring this up before HE does..."Cobby owns you all "

Brandon,
I 100% understood what you were saying, and I understand your point about what is popular at the moment, but I think in proportion to the total amount of classical singers I've heard, VERY few are really exceptional, while out of all the rock singers I've heard, a fair amount of them are very good.

Yes, it is pretty useless to make any sort of direct comparison between rock and classical singers due to the discrepancy in their styles' popularity, but many if not most of classical singers you would hear, even ones who are actually well respected in the classical world and known for being "good singers", might not be all that good. I used to listen to classical singers and not be into it at all, but that was mostly because the ones I kept hearing weren't any good.

And I do understand why you said rock singing is more difficult because it utilizes more techniques, but I know you're a guitar player. Rock guitar players like to tap, sweep pick, bend notes, and overall use more varied techniques than classical guitar players. I'm sure you know that rock guitar is definitely not harder than classical.

...so I understand what everyone is saying, I just think it's a bit silly to do any side by side comparisons. (Bascially, I was just doing the best I could to deviate from the grit topic at hand, haha.)

RX88:
<>

RX88:
<>

...?