THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 5 Biggest Nightmares of a singer

1. Singing off pitch
2. 'Oversinging' and burning out my voice before the end of the gig
3. Colds
4. Stagefright
5. Worrying about my tone e.g. too nasal

Hmm...

1. Becoming hoarse before a gig
2. Cracking on a high note
3. Not being able to hear yourself during a gig...
(mental note to self: ALWAYS WEAR EAR PLUGS.
a) It keeps you from permanent hearing loss and
b) you can hear yourself clearer, similar to holding your ears shut)
4. Having to sing with a cold
5. Not knowing the lyrics/the music well enough

How about getting booed?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061211/ap_on_en_mu/italy_la_scala

Gotta agree with Lee here. In line with my constant head voice work, that is my biggest concern live, always.

-SINGING OFF PITCH
-NO REACTIONS AT ALL BY AUDIENCE (WHICH CAN MAKE YOU MORE AND MORE NERVOUS)
-FORGETTING LYRICS
-BAND/MEMBERS PLAY IN WRONG KEY

1.NOT GETTING TO THE GIG.
2. GIGS UP 3 FLIGHTS OF STAIRCASES.(NO ELAVATOR,NO ROADIES)
3.NOT HAVING AN AUDIENCE TO SING TO.
4.HAVING A BAD AUDIENCE.
5.NOT GETTING HOME.

i would have to say paresis/paralysis. its no fun

1. singing off pitch
2. breath support/forcing
3. worrying about the tone: nasal/or not
4. Catching a cold / being sick
5. monitors

I agree with everyone here.

1. Losing my voice completely before an important performance. For me, my singing voice doesn't return until 2 1/2 weeks after I regain my speaking voice & it takes close to a month to get back to the point I was at.

2. Forgetting the lyrics to the song.

3. Being so nervous it affects my pitch throughout the entire song. (I sang a solo in choir my senior year of high school, & I can't bear to go back & listen to it. It was my first time actually using a mic to sing into & I was also the very first person to go up. )

4. The audience does NOTHING for several seconds afterwards (either that or they boo).

5. One or both my hearing aids breaking before a performance (it takes up to 3 weeks to get them back from the company), thereby influencing my pitch.

PS-Happy belated birthday, Jaime.

My singing star. How I lov thee:) Your name is going to big in big letters at the front and back of RYV II. My webmaster said you did a wonderful job and you will be one of the first people to get a copy before it is ever released:)

JV

So my name's going to be lighted up, eh? Just kidding.

You're so very welcome, Jaime!!

I wish there was a "blushing" icon here because that's exactly what I'm doing right now.