THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm on YouTube!

I used to be a smoker and I was singing back then. The first time Jaime heard me sing, (it was the Priest's Nightcrawler), I was still a smoker. It'd been two years since I've quit and I see serious differences both in my voice and my lung capacity.

fourth off... put the camera on a tripod...i thought i was going to die watching that camera move like that....

Okay, okay. About the smoking, I get it. Jaime and I had a myspace messaging battle back and forth discussing this very issue. While I appreciate everyones' concerns, I've made decisions about the smoking. I won't go into detail right now, but I'm working on a very specific regiment toward quitting. So PLEASE no more smoking comments! It was MY fault for putting the one clip of us online where I'm smoking on camera. I know that's not really the issue, but I just really loved the way the sound came through on that particular clip of us. Everything else we had recorded to that point seemed somewhat lack luster, OR I just wasn't fully pleased with my vocal performance.

Jordan, I know you don't HATE Tool. The last time I made a comment about it, I put a disclaimer comment behind it saying that I was only joking. I know how you feel about Tool and I'm completely okay with it. To each, his/her own.

Secondly, Joey (camera man) has A.D.D. So I apologize about that, too. We asked him to control the camera better on the stuff he recorded tonight. Hopefully, it'll be on youtube by the wee hours of the morning. It's actually THREE videos going up this time...cigarrette free;)

Thanx to everyone for the nice comments you made. Even beyond my smoking, you all still separated that from my singing long enough to critique the sound and quality of my voice, and I thank you for that.

I'll post a new bulletin as soon as those other videos surface on youtube.

Just one thing, correct me if Im wrong. I think at some parts your pitching went slightly off (ie not the right pitching).

Other than that, I like you tone. Nice voice...
Thanks for sharing Brandon.

ddzulb

Congrats on your decision to quit and good luck!

I can't exactly correct you on my scale choices. Middle Eastern scales are very interesting in that you can legitimately apply as many flats and sharps as you like whilst still making them cohesive with the sounds of the actual chord progressions.

For example, I told Danny to play a D followed by a Cm. This sounds incorrect to some people and that's okay. I use a LOT of odd chord progressions in the music I write. I get tired quickly of those "poppy" chord progressions that people beat into the ground. You wanna challenge? Play this progression and see if you can make it work. Fm, Ab, Fm, C, E. That's a portion of one of my originals. (I hope my saying this is coming across as nothing more than a challenge and an interesting way of viewing the possibilities within an odd progression. I mean no arrogance. HELL, I'm barely confident in myself half the time. I think it' physically impossible to be arrogant;)

Regardless, there were times when I literally chose to just let my voice slide down without aiming for precise and specific notes. It was just a spur-of-the-moment creative choice. I thank yuo for the compliment, though.

Since we're in the topic of You Tube and arabic styled singing, I think my favourite singer is Amr Diab singing the song Tamally Ma-ak.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J-w8JyjO7ag

Watched the video.Amr Diab sounds awesome!

JV

You suck...I say smoke up johnny,doesnt matter when you cant sing anyways Cobb

Cobby, it's about time you finally criticized me. I was beginning to wonder if my singing was SO bad that you wouldn't even take the time to make fun of me! I'm glad it's not THAT bad;)

If anyone did get a good kick out of those vocal scales, I recommend going to youtube or myspace and typing in "Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan." This guy was the absolute MASTER of Qawwali singing. I listen to a lot of his stuff. After doing so, those scales just kinda became intuitive to me!

By the way, if you want to quit smoking, go to the supermarket, and in the "extracts" section, get rolled cinnamon leaves. Sucking on them helps you quit, because cinnamon naturally curbs smoking cravings.

I used to smoke, and found myself getting addicted, and this helped me to stop.

Is that true or is this a joke? If it is true this is great advice. I will tell people I know that I want to stop smoking.

I've never smoked, so i can't tell you from first hand knowledge, but i've read that it can

Brandon, when are we gonna see some Tool covers?

You probably WON'T see any TOOL covers, James. We've done some at practice, but I'd feel like I was shaming Maynard by posting such a thing. The volume and distortion is so loud when we do TOOL that I can barely hear myself. Plus, trying to hold out that damn A4 with grit and hear it over everything else is what causes me the most strain.

We actually do a pretty decent cover of Aenema, though. Schism's pretty good, and Sober's okay. My lead guitarist is like me in that TOOL is also HIS favorite band, so he actually can play almost EVERY TOOL song out there! He'll kick into shit like "Bottom" and I barely squeak through that friggin' 12 second Tenor C with grit. IT'S PAINFUL!

HOWEVER, we're working on a few things right now. We're trying to crack down and work on some original stuff, but we're also practicing "Tyler" by The Toadies, "Nutshell" by AIC, and "Black" by Pearl Jam.

It'll probably be a while before any more Veil of Phasmids vids surface on youtube, for two reasons.

A) We're trying to put together originals.

B) Jaiem said he refuses to comment on my voice until I can prove to him that I've gone 3 MONTHS w/o smoking! I'm actually doing better with that. I've almost cut my smoking in half, already, and I'm gonna go get those rolled cinnamon leaves when I leave here from my friend's house.

Again folks, thanx for all the support.