THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Godly Stryper Video

That dude is a little shit compared to Miljenko Matievic from Steelheart, Matijevic has much better tone quality and sings with greater feeling. This dude just sounds annoying!

Dude, you really know nothing don't you.

Fuck off from this site, you have never made one good contribution. You are just a negative, over comparitive annoying person.

Michael Sweet is better than you will ever be.

I remember when you first came on saying you wanted to be Matijevic. You put Jaime down there too. You have annoyed me from the start. Piss off.

Now now children, don't get angry. Michael Sweet is an excellent singer, so in that aspect, Steelheart, you are wrong. I respect the love you have for M.M. but, you shouldn't go around bad mouthin singers, especialy on this board. You'll find that different singers fit different people, and although Matijevic is in my top 5 singers (even above Mr. Sweet), Michael Sweet hit a soprano C in that video, something very few people, including Matijevic, has never proven live or on record;)

JV

All these singers that we all talk about are the best of the best, and it is all personal preference, Im sure there are things Michael Sweet can do that Mike can't and vice versa, it seem that alot of people miss the point of singing, it is not a sport contest although I encourage anyone to extend their range as much as possible most people could give a shit about if you can hit soprano high C, yeah its super cool to us but really it doesn't matter if the song doesn't move you

Exactly :) Why cut a person or singer down??? I don't understand it. How would someone like it if there were no more singers??? It would suck, huh? So be glad we have plenty to choose from to make the music we love!

JV

I love both singers. This guy just annoys me. He compares everything to Steelheart and does not allow other singers to shine through by constantly beating them down.

Do you like any other singers, Steelheart?

wow thats really an insult, your tellin me that im never gonna be better than michael sweet, man in this video his tone quality is really crap, like he is yellin and he is off tone alot. so i can't really take much out of that insult. The only thing that is kinda cool is his range... Also i like alot of other singers of course! if no one compared singers than we would have alot of crappy singers out there (which we already do ) so lets not make them even more! Also everybody is comparing singers, thats what makes one choose the favorites!

Yeah but what you've got to understand is that your approach is very displeasing to others on this board. It's cool you love M.M. I think he's awesome and his tone rules. You may not like Michael Sweets tone, but I don't think you really know enough about him or singing in that range to make a judgement about his tone being terrible. Actually his tone is fine-that;s the tone he has chosen to use for those songs, and it has helped him sell millions of records. One thing I have learned by being a vocal coach is that there are TONS of variances in the voice-which is great because certain singers appeal to certain people. One of my friends is James LaBrie from Dream Theater. I know people who hate his voice and I know people who love his voice. So, it doesn't really matter if you care for Micahels Sweet or not, but, unless you can go out and sing a Stryper song like that live, you have no room to make harsh comments. If you are serious about singing than you need to broaden your mind and quit judging.

JV

LaBries tone is something I like to call a phantom phlute, just simply percing and incredible, I love it.

I love it too but I know many who hate it. Only thing I think that's bad with James is his diction in his head voice. He skews vowels and sometimes is very hard to understand.

Jaime, you hit the nail on the head. People with his attitude sicken me. As much as that Montez guy on singing.eblah

The steelheart dude should post one of his own MP3's so we can all be the judge of whats good or not. Most good singers I know are humble, and the ones that think their hot shit usually suck lets see if your the exception.

my drummer can hit that last high note easily, sings awful though. i can hit the A note under it if i strain for it

In falsetto or whistle I bet not in full voice. I can hit in falsetto easy.

Stryper was one of my favorite bands in the 80's.
Saw them many times live including once in New York
where they opened with Against The Law --and the guitar wasn't working so all you could hear is Michael
singing- Powerful!

I've met him too on a solo tour. He's never had any voice training.

I really like the "Reborn" CD too

I have Michael Sweet's first solo CD after he left Stryper, and I really liked some of it. It's not like Stryper..it's just Rock, but there are some great songs on it.

Tim

its thin but its similiar to how micheal sweet does it, he can also imitate female opera singers, but his high notes are thin,something im trying to avoid, king diamondish, i dony know if thats falsetto

Kinda like this?
http://media.putfile.com/Falsetto-86

I have been told when I be stupid with this falsetto stuff that I sound like King Diamond

dude, you hit that note, sounds like you can go higher. im just wondering, if you were to hit that last note with all the air power you have, would it turn it into a 'full tone', or just a power falsetto

Power falsetto :P

I think maybe if I worked on it i could get it to full voice. It is ridiculously loud though, louder than all my singing friend's full voices and even mine.

I can go higher than that. I have gotten an E6 in that mode before.

Doug Skene is now my new hero.

Awesome Doug. Now try doing it again, but take out the breathiness that you had when you started the slide. Keep it as pure as it was on the top. Then after you record it, make sure you boost it by 10 db so that people think it's full voice ;)

JV

Dude, thats cheating. LOL

I can hit high C's like that. Is it unhealthy and could I transform those high ones into full voice. They are so loud like that man. Its amazing.

It is not unhleathy if it doesn't hurt your voice.You can do anything you set your mind to. When I did MythBusters, I was hitting Soprano C#'S full out. I was really warmed up though.I had to be, I was recovring from being sick the day we filmed ;)
JV

Dude, Doesn't hurt at all. Feels effortless. I wish my full voice felt like this. It's so damn loud up high. I guess you cant transcend when you are going heaps high and loud in falsetto can you.

I saw some recent Stryper concerts, from their reunion tour, and Michael Sweet's voice is NOT in the shape it was in the '80s. That sucks.

Just sent him the book. Hope he enjoys it.I think the new CD is really good.

JV