THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transcending difficulties...

Hey everyone, I've been practicing pretty rigorously for the past few months, and my high notes have gotten stronger and much easier, but my bridge area is frustrating me to no end. I can transcend pretty easily on anything from about F#4 way up to around F5, but Eb4-F4 are just killing me, which is obviously pretty frustrating, since it's only 3 mid-range notes.

The problem is I just can't seem to transcend on those 3 notes. I've checked all the usual causes, my larynx is low, my tongue isn't tense(I've practically eliminated my gag reflex...eww ), I've got a yawning sensation, my breath is supported, yet still every time I try to transcend on those notes it turns into a crackly horrible mess.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Is the solution to just buckle down and do nothing but work on transcending those tones? Or does anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips that Jaime didn't put in RYV(which I doubt even exist, because RYV seems incredibly complete )?

Re: Transcending difficulties...

Welcome to the "Break Point" Zone ;) These are the toughest notes for guys believe it or not, because this is the area where you have to switch gears and allow the resonance to move up the throat and let go of the major chest resonance. You got to think "less baggage" as you ascend. I would practice extensively from a D4 to a G4.In would do like 4-5 transcending tones on each pitch. 4-5 sirens on each pitch, and when you reach the top of the Siren, hold it for at least 15 seconds. Aslo do some falsetto slides, but try an "ooo" sound for awhile. Just work on thise 6 notes for a few weeks.

JV

Thank you sooo much Jaime! I'll take you're advice and work on just those couple notes, but if anyone else has any advice, I'd be thrilled to hear it.

This is an especially frustrating experience because being able to do it isn't all that impressive. You always see people listening to the radio going "Wow! What an awesome high note!" but never "Ah, that guy navigated his passagio quite effortlessly."

This is actually another question specifically for RX88. You helped me out once with a guitar question I had. Just to be sure, when you say G4, would this be the 15th fret on the high E string?

I think a G4 is actually 3rd fret on the high E, or 8th fret on the B string, etc. It's a G4 in terms of sound, but a G3 in terms of notation...argh, now I'm even confused about it.

I'm a guitar player too, and honestly, the guitar really isnt a very good instrument to learn the voice with partially because of it's confusing octave transposition system, and partially because the strings are rarely perfectly in tune, and you certainly don't want to learn to sing out of tune.

I'd highly recommend getting a cheap electronic keyboard. Especially nowadays, since you can get them very inexpensively. It's waaaay better to match pitches on that a guitar.

You're right. That is confusing. One thing that makes me very lucky as a singer is that the lowest comfortable note for me to hit is an E (6th string.) My acoustic/electric has a tuner built into it, and I always land on a perfect E when I go low. The lowest I can hit is Drop D, but my E makes it E-asy (every pun intended) to find any note I'm looking for when I don't have an instrument to guide me.