THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Melisma...

Hello again, Zen Master. When I sing soul and blues music, i tend to use a lot of melisma. When I do this, I notice very short, quick changes in my larynx positioning. Melisma was one of the things you didn't really cover in RYV. I was wondering if this is normal when I'm singing Stevie Wonder or Etta James or the like.

Re: Melisma...

Don't sing a lot of blues so please explain Melisma. I must be ignorant, sorry.

JV

i'll help you jaime

In music, melisma is the technique of changing the note (pitch) of a syllable of text while it is being sung. Music sung in this style is referred to as melismatic, as opposed to syllabic, where each syllable of text is matched to a single note. Music of the ancient cultures used melismatic techniques to achieve a hypnotic trance in the listener, useful for early mystical initiation rites (Eleusinian Mysteries) and religious worship. This quality is still found in much Hindu and Muslim religious music today. In western music, the term most commonly refers to Gregorian Chant, but may be used to describe music of any genre, including baroque singing and later gospel.

(....)
the rest is in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisma

I was actually watching the videos on your page when you wrote me back, sorry. Singers like Beyonce and Mariah Carey use a ton of melisma. The definition that Paul left was accurate. If you've ever heard "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding, he uses it in a number of places. A good example is the line "Two-thousand miles I've roamed..." The word "roamed" actually contains 4 notes. He starts on the top, and very quickly descends 4 notes downscale. This is melisma.

To me that's just a vocal lick, and something you should develop. I'm working on some exercises to incorporate this approach. Some blues like scales and Egyptian scales. They will be release by the end of the year.

JV

Okay, well since you know what I'm talking about now, is it normal for my larynx to minutely change position with each note?

Yep. The larynx will make minute adjustments on most people. Some people can contain it naturally and it doesn't move much. But overall it shouldn't jump all over the place.

JV

Well thank you, sir. I've been singing long before I had RYV to guide me, and I'm in love with almost every type of music. I sing a lot of soul and blues, so to know that I've been doing the melismatic stuff correctly all these years makes me very happy. (since I don't have to relearn the techniques)