THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting low...

I find that my voice breaks around C#4 and is into my head at around E4, always have; anyways, when I am singing lightly, or even not so lightly, (anything but a full voice), my volume and the quality of the note is shit in this region and it FEELS awkward. I have made an effort to focus most of my two hours practice sessions the past two days on this area and a little higher, little lower. My question is whether or not this is a good way to go about it, practicing resonance hums and transcending in this 5-6 note mid range? Would it be more useful to perhaps perform stretching exercises going from point A to point B of the problem area?

Re: Starting low...

I think you are on the right track. It is better to practice on a small isolated section of your range as opposed to moving on and not strengthening the real trouble area. I am working on a new vocal program for release this year and I will be focusing on taking the singer lower as well to incorporate a bigger range. You know your voice. The break areas discussed in the book are just typical break points. Stay working the way you are. I'd work from maybe the G below and only up to maybe an E or F. ad DO NOT STRAIN. If an E or F is pushing it for now, work up to it until it is effortless.

JV

Re: Starting low...

Thanks, hopefully I'll see some benefit out of it. I am dedicating this whole week (a day off for rest this Thursday, after tomorrow's concert) to this one area. Going lower? Excellent. I want to go lower than D2...That's as low as I've ever gone! I love the timbre of my lower range, I don't know many men my age personally that have such a deep baritone. I believe you hit an A1 in one of your videos with a student (and an A6 at the top)I have actually started on a notion, and I am wondering if it has merit:

It seems that if I go really really low, my voice breaks into falsetto, like it's been blown apart, but if I focus on the note it broke into, and breathe very very relaxed, I can bring the low end up and I end up hitting the falsetto note, but two octaves lower (ie, I go low, rattle, break into an E4 in falsetto, then bring the rattling feeling back and bam, E2.) Have I stumbled upon some kind of crazy breakthrough?