THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting week #2, a few questions...

Hi!

I'm at the beginning of the second week of the 7-week-workout program suggested in RYV. So far, so good! After singing for long periods of time, my voice doesn't hurt or feel strained...I'm guessing this is a good sign that I'm using proper technique. However, there are some things that aren't quite clear to me...

1. I understand what the "zipping" technique is all about...but in the book, it isn't really explained when, and if at all, to practice this. Is this just a phenomenon that you suddenly "notice" when you've been practicing for weeks? Or should I be incorporating "practicing the zipper-technique" into my daily regimen? That doesn't really make sense to me, because if I can already perform the zipping technique in full voice, wouldn't the falsetto excercises be unnecessary? Also, I wouldn't really know how to go about practicing the zipper technique...would I basically just keep trying to sing higher, until I notice the zipping sensation?

2. In the book, you keep stressing on "eliminating the breathiness from your falsetto"- but I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to do that. Is it basically done by decreasing the amount of breath being used?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Starting week #2, a few questions...

Well hi man i Use jaimes book and i do sls sppech level singing. About eliminate breathyness. I think jaime means mixed voice.

Alot of pop singers use it.
It is a fix between fallsetto and chest. HOw i get there is act like a cartoon witch a little the higher i go.

Zipping that is tricky cords always mostly zip just diffrent pressure. I know my cords are ziping and imnot pulling chest but somtimes i might feel thembut mostly i don't

Record yourself you zip so you don't pull up chest.
Zipping is the same as compressing your cords so it is eayser to ajust to the diffrent vibrations in your body.

Hope that helpes

Aha...so when I do the falsetto slide, I don't actually use falsetto, but use mixed voice instead? That makes sense, because I don't have a break from chest to mixed voice, and on the audio example, Jaime sounds like he's using mixed.

So does that also mean that pure falsetto is ALWAYS breathy, and the only way to eliminate the breathiness is to go into mixed voice?

Wrong. It is still falsetto for now. Try to do it as soft and pure as possible, but don't make it breathy like The Darkness. Visualize breathing in. As for zipping, that's what the Core Of resonance is there for-to help guide you as you zip. When it's way up in your head, I can almost guarantee that the cords are zipped. And yes, you should still practice the falsetto exercises. When you do them almost silent and pure, you help the muscles and cords develop the pitch memory for each individual note, without all ther extra weight of full voice. Just don't whisper them, it needs to be tad louder.

JV

OK, I was worried for a moment! I'll try to start using pure falsetto now.

But I think you misunderstood my zipping question. I CANNOT perform the zipping technique yet in full voice. My question is, HOW and WHEN can I practice it- also considering the fact that I'm in the second week of your 7-week workout. Is it even something I can practice, or will it come by itself?

Thanks.

Use veryday you sing/practice the zipper technique.
i sometimes use this at notes like B or A below middle
C.. just visualize and remember this everyday u work.

How = Visualizing or feeling the cords zipping (challening)
When = When your voice breaks normally at E4. Or, in my opinion, at any point of your range when your voice breaks.

Sorry, but that didn't really help me.

First of all, I don't think zipping is possible at the A or B below middle C, because the typical break is around the E over middle C. Of course, every voice is different, but I doubt that your "break" is as low as that.

But what I actually wanted to know was HOW I'm supposed to learn the zipping technique, and WHEN (in the temporal sense) during my practice regimen I should practice it, if it's even necessary to practice it. I'm just a little confused by the fact that the book basically describes how, physically, the zipping technique works, but not which excercises can be used to develop the ability to "zip up" the cords. Am I actually supposed to stand there every day and just slide up my range until it works? I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but I just don't want to do anything unnecessary or that could hurt my voice.

I'm sorry, Jaime, for my impatience. I imagine you're under alot of stress right now, and I REALLY appreciate the fact that you take the time to answer our questions.

Yeah each voice is different, but i said that according to SLS and my voice. My voice used to break at B below middle C. This is to be the 'bass' first bridge but wont help at all. just work

I'll say according to my experience, but anything else
wait for jaime response.

You will learn this as you work in any exercise. Your
vocal cords'll be zipping and unzipping when you work in falsetto, transcending tone and the siren.

Its just the degree of compression that will determine
the "Full" quality of your voice either if you need
falsetto just leave the cords loose if you need
a full voice just compress more and at the sime
time they'll be zipping otherwise the voice will break.

All the exercises use the zipping technique otherwise
they wouldn't be singing exercises.

Yes man each exercise will help to do this. Each siren, falsetto and transcending tone will help.

Anything just ask

The thing with zipping is most singers are doing it without even realizing it. It's not something you can see, and you are right, it won't occur below middle C. It might not even occur right at the break, that's just typically, but people are different. When a teacher has you do an exercise over and over again and follow a certain set of rules, eventually over a few weeks or months the exercises become easy and effortless. You are devloping muscle memory. It's nice to know what is going on vocally with the cords and muscles, but don't let it freak you out. It will eventually happen naturally. If you follow the main rules, like utilizing the Power Push, feeling the resonance, maintaining your placement by adding the Yawning Sensation, and keeping either the teeth, cheeks and/or nose buzzing, you will get there. If say you are only reaching a G above middle C but have to strain to get it, then you need more time to develop the muscles and trust in training the cords to zip properly. But, a month from now, you are hitting up to an A, although that A is a little tough, suddenly that G is very easy. Congratulations, you have developed the muscles to work, stretch and zip the cords properly up to that note and are now working towards higher notes. Just try to feel those top notes up in your head. I know I throw a TON of information at you and it can be aggravating, but once you become familiar with getting your voice working for you, it'll get easier and you won't have to think about it so much. That's why I say at the end of the book to forget everything I taught you and be passionate about singing. Singing can be a mind game and that's what you are going through right now brother. Don't fret, you aren't alone. I want you to forget about trying to "zip" the cords and just concentrate on doing the exercises as high as comfortable, without feeling any strain, as pure a note as possible. If you feel you need to do some scales too, wait until after week 4, then you can add some scales from the Members section. Building a divine instrument takes time and patience ;)

JV

Jamie rules

But anyway, I've been using the program for a few months now, and I'm still absolutely nowhere near where I'd like to be. LegatoMan, being on your second week, you've still got tons of practice time ahead of you. When Jamie says its takes lots of practice, he really means it takes lots of practice times a thousand. Since I think you said you were a guitar player(in a dream theater cover band), just think about how long it took you to get to where you are at guitar. Seeing as you're playing dream theater, it probably has been quite a while. How much did you know after 2 weeks of guitar?
You shouldn't expect to have singing be that different. It's a skill that takes tons of practice.

One thing that I think Jamie might not stress enough is the importance of the falsetto exercises. In my experience so far, I've found that you shouldn't attempt a full voice note if it's not super smooth and easy in falsetto. Remember, if there's any strain or tension you're doing it wrong. Even if you think you're not straining, you still might be.

Keep experimenting man, you'll figure out what works for you. All it takes is practice.

Jaime: Thanks alot! It all makes sense to me now.

RX88: I know I need alot of practice, and I'm more than ready to put as much time and effort as I need into becoming better- I just wanted to clarify whether the zipping technique must be practiced, or not.