THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Damn head voice

I've posted on here concerning my inability to get anywhere near my head voice and I'm still stuck. I just recently starting reading RYV and have been trying the visualization techniques and breathing exercises.

What frustrates me is that I've never had my vocal cords zipped up before (I think). Therefore, I assume that I have absolutely no control over those particular muscles. Starting from absolutely no control, how am I to even begin? At this point I feel as though I wouldn't know head voice even if I found it, and finding it would be dumb luck. In addition to the techniques presented in RYV does anyone suggestions? I really want to stop breaking into falsetto.

By the way, I did not go into this thinking there would be a quick fix. I'm just starting to worry that I've done things wrong for so long that I won't be able to develope the proper technique.

Re: Damn head voice

Don't feel oppressed! ;) It does take time. If you lived near me, you could take lessons and that would help. Make sure you watch the videos on the Members link. I will be doing another video soley for explaning the Raise Your Voice system via-pitchwheel, very soon. You most likely haven't been usin gthe correct muscles. I would start the RYV program and only work on about 4-5 notes for a week or two. Start on middle C and work up to about an E or an F. Whenver it feels like it is going to flip, thenm don't work up any higher until you get comfortable. The only real was to get there is to do the 3 main exercises from the book, VERY SLOWLY, and do them over and over and over and over again. Your muscles will become stronger and you'll eventually be where you want to be vocally!

JV

I would like to add to this because I had a problem years ago accessing headvoice as well, along with doing it very slowly, reduce your volume... as you go through a scale from low to high, start at minimal volume and do not swell the volume as you go higher, keep the volume consistant, no tension, remember as you go higher you need less air so reducing the air(volume) will help your cords adduct and strengthen with out having to fight the brute force of too much forced air, it may sound like shit sound like falsetto it may break up but over time you will be able to add much more volume and power and keep your cords from cracking

Once you get used to moving around on scales at lower volumes try taking notes from middle C to A take each note individually at the lowest volume which may put you in a falsetto to start and start increasing volume,
as you do it you will probably get to a point where your voice starts to wobble or break up, try to ride that area and try to get that area to smooth out to a consistant note...this is the area that is weak and is your link to accessing headvoice...Do it slow like Jaimie says keep trying to increase the volume as you keep doing it you should soon be moving from falsetto to a full voice...hope that helps just keep working the wobbley part of your voice or where it breaks up

Great, thank you both for the advice. If I lived closer to you Jaime I would definitely get some lessons.

Matt, you seem to have had the same problem I do. When I go up I tense up and start applying more force when I should be doing the exact opposite. The weird thing is that I never knew I was tensing up until I started really paying attention. And I do notice that there is an area right before I break that is very wobbley and weak. I have sometimes played around with that area and have gotten it to a smooth note before.