THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tongue Push ups and The Bullfrog.

Hi Everybody,

I E-mailed Jaime tonight and told him something in E-mail and he asked me to post it to the group.
For years, I - like most singers - struggled with a high larynx. When I would go to sing High notes, My Larynx would raise, and my tongue would raise, and I would produce this super high pitched, but low volume sound.

I read Raise Your Voice and Jaime has two exercises in the book that are going to solve these two problems.

Tongue Push ups (which will train the muscles of the tongue, so that the tongue remains low while singing.)

The Bullfrog : which trains your larynx to stay low in your throat.

These two exercises are ALREADY starting to work for me. Tonight, I warmed up a little
I've been doing these exercises ever since finishing the book, and I can already tell a difference, not just in the sound, but in the way it feels to sing. It was a very ..... "freeing" experience.
THIS is what I've been looking for. For years I've struggled to hit those Michael Sweet(Stryper) and Midnight (Crimson Glory) kinds of highs, and I knew that I had to be doing it wrong, because they seemed to do it effortlessly.

I'm going to tell you right now, Jaime Vendera has changed my life for the better. I've spent hundreds of dollars on videos, tapes, books, and some lessons that were essentially a big waste for me, in regards to actual practice. For the theory of singing, sure - I have a great background in that, but I never could understand how to put what I understood into action.
I know an Opera singer, a coloratura, named Jan Saltmarsh. She has an INCREDIBLE voice. She used to teach locally, but they moved to North Carolina. Jan taught me what she could, but the reality is- I was smoking cigarettes like a fiend, and she wasn't going to waste her time trying to train a smoker. She told me to come and see her after I quit smoking and she'd teach me.
Sadly - she moved before I got around to quitting, so I was just out of luck, there.

So, I had limited understanding of how to apply what I knew. So far, the best video I ever bought was Jim Gillette, because it gave me a really good set of exercise to use as a practice routine.
I combined that with the SLS method of moving through my break/bridge between chest/middle/head, along with Elizabeth Sabine's technique of controlling the diaphragm. I know there are some who think her technique is bad - sorry folks, I'm here to tell you, this is exactly how it's done. That technique is where all the power lies, because it keeps you from blowing out your vocal chords, because instead of trying to apply pressure to the vocal chords, you simply press down.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Buy Jaime's book, and read it. Then PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

I'm telling you, this book will change your life, because it already has mine.

It's got virtually everything you'll need to build a solid singing voice, with all the power you'll ever need, and all the range you can want - you just have to be willing to put in the time.

I'll give you an example. I'm a drummer.
I wanted to learn how to do a one handed snare roll like Buddy Rich. I spent a minimum of 45 minutes a day, 7 days a week on rudiments. It was just me, a pair of drumsticks, a drum pad, and a metronome. I knew HOW Buddy Rich did it, I just couldn't actually apply it. I mean, I hadn't used the traditional grip since I left marching band in High School 20 years ago - I've been playing Hard Rock and Metal ever since then, but I Wanted it... so I learned. And now I can whip out a snare roll with one hand, and I have awesome chops from spending all that time on the drum pad practicing rudiments.

You just have to ask yourself:

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

So buy the books, and do the work.

It will be worth it. I wasted 5 years building an incorrect vocal technique. This book, and a lot of work are going to set me on the right path.

Tim