THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pulsating diaphragm

Too many scared vocal coaches... Ha-ha. If you are doing it wrong then yes you can cause problems. I actually cover stomach vibrato in my book Raise Your Voice. A lot of early 80's metal bands used to use this approach. Do you know when you sneeze and you rstomach tightens in a downward direction??? Pay attention. Or, do you know how it feels when you cough, go to the bathroom, or for the ladies, when having a baby? This downwards push will compress the air and energize the voice. NEVER tighten your throat. That's like holding your thumb over the end of a garden hose to shut off the flow. But, when you do this to the airflow, you are still going to force the cords open with really strong blasts. Now that's damaging. If you take a belly breath and concentrate on pulsating(tightening) the stomach in a downwards direction, you'll be fine!!! :)

Re: Re: Pulsating diaphragm

Okay, thanks for filling me in, Jaime. I'm pretty sure I don't have any throat tension, as the higher I go, I lift my upper face and roof of my mouth a little bit to create some more room, sending the note down and out.

Aside from stomach support, I actually feel a good bit of support from my lower back also when I'm "singing" like this. So, I guess the ab/lower back combo of support is somewhat of a downward push...

Re: Re: Re: Pulsating diaphragm

Yeah, exactly. Your back and abdominals are both involved in correct breath control.

Holy cow, Jaime!

That was the MOST PERFECT explanation of how to push down! I tried it, and it's kind of like when you're really scared of something, and you feel that dread in your stomach, and your butthole (sorry, but it's TRUE!) kind of puckers out a little bit. Guess I just never really thought of it as a downward push.. It feels more like a pull. But I get it now. Thank you so much for finally writing it out in a way that I could visualize!

Oh yeah, and I never have to worry about splatting in my pants because I have ulcerative colitis and can't go number two at all.

Yaaaaay, I'm dying, yaaaay!

Hahahah, you are always so funny. Glad we're friends and I'm not on your bad side ;)

JV

Pshhh!

Yeah, like I would ever pick a fight with someone who has helped me as much as you have.

I mean, just LISTEN to these pipes!

www.myspace.com/prammaven

Ok, listen to these pipes AFTER I record something since you've helped me. Those songs are old, haha.