THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hey Jaime...Question from Feb.

Hi Jaime,

I've been doing the V24 for a while, but as I am still recovering from nodules, I decided to stop until I can get a reply on the questions below which I posted back in February.
I did recover a lot, like 80~85%, and the node exists on only one side of the fold now. I'm just concerned that the one node could always damage the other side again, so trying to be cautious.
I understand you're very busy, but I'd really like to get back to working out, or at least take a break knowing that it's the right thing to do at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm working on week 3 (transcendending tone)
Feeling some tightness like a knot in my larynx the next day. Not necessarily painful, but a bit uncomfortable and voice is slightly breathy at certain pitches.
Just concerned I might be doing it wrong. (I am constantly shaking NO during any exercise whenever I feel tight like Jamie suggested...no breaks during the NO shake)

Two points of suspicion
- During some higher notes, when I break, it kinda 'sounds' damaging (somewhat similar to a full voice fry if such a thing exists) and I feel a slight tug in my throat, especially at the moment the tone shifts. Of course this goes away once I jump the tone. Should I stop immediately when this happens?
- During lower notes descending below middle C, I feel the resonance go down from my head to my throat, and the placement also kinda drops with it. Maybe I'm using my throat more than I should as a result?
(Even when singing, I sometimes feel a bit more discomfort in the lower range than when singing high, especially when adding a bit of grit. Could I be doing something wrong in the lower range?)

...or hopefully it's just muscle tension of some sort like the day after you work out.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Sebastian

Re: Hey Jaime...Question from Feb.

Gonna respond directly to your messages:

I've been doing the V24 for a while, but as I am still recovering from nodules, I decided to stop until I can get a reply on the questions below which I posted back in February.

So sorry, I am on it now!

I did recover a lot, like 80~85%, and the node exists on only one side of the fold now. I'm just concerned that the one node could always damage the other side again, so trying to be cautious.

Go to doctorvox.com and purchase a pocketVox. Use 'vendera' when you check out to get a discount. Dr. Ilter Denizoglu deceloped the pocketVox to help patients with nodules!

I understand you're very busy, but I'd really like to get back to working out, or at least take a break knowing that it's the right thing to do at this point.

Sorry, I won't disappear again. I just need three of me for all my work, hahaha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm working on week 3 (transcendending tone)
Feeling some tightness like a knot in my larynx the next day. Not necessarily painful, but a bit uncomfortable and voice is slightly breathy at certain pitches. Just concerned I might be doing it wrong. (I am constantly shaking NO during any exercise whenever I feel tight like Jamie suggested...no breaks during the NO shake)

Post some audios here for me to hear. As well, order that pocketVox and use it during all three of your Isolation exercises. It helps to remove the excess tension of all the medial muscles surrounding the cords so that you aren't over-stressing the voice. This will help you get better at the exercises, strengthen your voice, and help with the nodules. The "help with nodules" is not a claim by me as I am not a doctor. But the DoctorVox devices ARE designed by an ENT/voice surgeon for this exact purpose

Two points of suspicion
During some higher notes, when I break, it kinda 'sounds' damaging (somewhat similar to a full voice fry if such a thing exists) and I feel a slight tug in my throat, especially at the moment the tone shifts. Of course this goes away once I jump the tone. Should I stop immediately when this happens?

YES! You are either tensing too much with neck/internal muscles OR blasting too much air. Again, the pocketVox will work wonders for you.

During lower notes descending below middle C, I feel the resonance go down from my head to my throat, and the placement also kinda drops with it. Maybe I'm using my throat more than I should as a result?

Yes you are using too much throat squeeze I'd say. It should feel like it drops lower even below the throat on low notes. Refer to the Core of Resonance diagrams in RYV.

(Even when singing, I sometimes feel a bit more discomfort in the lower range than when singing high, especially when adding a bit of grit. Could I be doing something wrong in the lower range?)

Yes you can be squeezing in the throat even on low notes.

...or hopefully it's just muscle tension of some sort like the day after you work out.

It is probably excess muscle tension during the exercises and singing. It can be alleviated. If you cannot order a pocketVox, try ordering a large rubber straw like the ones they use for smoothies. OR search for "laxvox tube" on a site like Amazon. Use this approach to help balance out the amount of muscle involvement during those exercises. It could take many weeks to learn that balance, but it will be well worth it:)

Thanks

Sebastian

Welcome,

Jaime...sorry I have bee sooo slow:)