THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Writing songs

Cheers everybody!So I came to an idea that i would like to start making my own music but i never wrote a song before so i dont know where to start.I play guitar and sing and i got all these melodies and sounds going on in my head so i dont think instrumental part of the song will be too much struggle for me but i never tried to write a song i would just come up with something while fooling around with my guitar but then forget it...If someone has experience with songwriting i would really appreciate some tips on how to put a song together and how to get more creative with lyrics.Sorry for my english its not my real language and thank you very much!

Re: Writing songs

Hey Jhonny,

So I am no professional but am getting some exposure as a singer/songwriter where I live. So what helps most of the time is having something you are writing towards, your song can go a few ways i.e. a story or themed.

Just take a listen to I never expected that by Jamie Lawson or I started a joke by the BeeGees. The songs have a progression through it and is like reading through a story whereas if you listen to waiting on the world to change by John Mayer or Lights by Journey, the songs have a central theme or hook (most often the chorus) the song revolved around.

I think starting out, just try and figure out what you want to write about, a theme; something you're passionate about is a great place to start ;). And just pour out your heart onto ink and paper, be raw about it. Most often I realized your words can be as clever as you want but if you don't sing it with heart or passion it's all for naught. When I started out writing I wrote some amazingly cheesy songs that I scraped but everyone starts somewhere. Start simple and just be you. When you've got the hang of it, just play around a little with song structure (Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus).

One exercise I really loved doing is trying to write down a story in 6 words. Here are some I came up with :
Three words. Two Hearts. One Lied.
There she stood, a lone survivor.

Just try and do 5 of those a day just to get your writing skills up. Also learn metaphors and when you get comfortable try and use them in your songs :)

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best in your writing! Have fun & rock on.

P.S. Listen to Cigarettes by Noah Gunderson, it's probably one of my favourite songs in terms of writing and execution.

Re: Writing songs

Thanks man I really appreciate your help.