THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: inhalation sensation

It sounds about right. You take your breath, you have your support when pushing down. Should not have to push to hard unless you are hitting really high notes. You feel the sensation in the palette. To note you are not going to feel it slamming up there. You will barely notice it if you are not paying attention to it. It sounds like you are doing it right.

If you are a member of VVA you can submit an audio sample for him to critique. From how you explain your cycle sounds like you are doing it right but there is no way knowing without hearing you sing.

The way I picture it is like this... I breathe in low, I support low, and I focus the sound "upwards"... In other words, I don't sing and release air purposely while exhaling, like I'm blowing out a candle.. I just pretend I'm "sipping" the air as I'm singing... It's like sucking air through your teeth almost... except you're not. I'm still trying to get a hang of it myself, but hopefully I'm on the right track.

Well...i gotcha.....we just dont have to force the air out right??

correct when you sing. You want as little air to come out as possible. Think of it like holding your breath when you sing but you are actually not. When you speak or sing air comes out. You just want very little air to come out.

Just before you sing you take your breath or you take your breath in between your lines. When you inhale your stomach pushes out and your ribcage should expand. This is the basics of your support. Now when you sing you push down. It should feel like it does when you go to the bathroom and do number 2. When those mechanics are right you know your support is right. Now when you begin to sing depending on whether you are in chest or your other registers will depend where the sound comes from. However you should feel the sensation hitting your soft palette. Like Jamie take a yawn and feel the sensation. That is kind of how it should feel when you sing.

When support is right and placement is right the breathing or you release of air is automatic. Your body will do the rest. A good test for you will to sing and put your hand in front of your mouth. If you feel the air slapping your hand kind of hard you are letting to much air out as you sing. If you feel just a tiny bit hitting your hand then you are doing it right.

Your body knows how to support all on its own don't over think it. It is good to understand how everything works so you can train yourself but when you start singing it should all be automatic. I have been playing guitar for over 30 years. An old instructor told me learn on the technical stuff possible then forget it. It made since once I really started playing in bands. My fingers automatically did what my soul wanted then to do because of the muscle memory trained in my fingers. The same applies to singing. All the exercises and stuff we learn is to develop the muscle memory in our vocal mechanics. This way when we are live it is automatic.

If the whole inhaling sensation has you stumped just move on. It is not that important to you learning the proper singing technique Jamie teaches. If you pay close enough attention you will notice the sensation he speaks of that is really not happening. I have notice it several times but i don't really focus on it. It is the last on my mind to tell you the truth. I focus more on where my sound is coming from and my support. I also really focus on how the sounds I make make me feel especially the throat.

Like I said before when you sing picture yourself talking underwater. You are speaking but at the same time you are holding your breath. Like the poster before me stated picture yourself sucking in on a straw while you sing just don't actually suck in. Unless you want that sort of effect. Singing is what it is a release of air. Your goal is to control how much air you are releasing. Sometimes it just helps to think you are sucking air in instead of releasing. This helps you pay attention to how much air is leaving. I will say if you are letting out to much air you will notice how week you sound is. It will not have any power or for that matter be very loud. You also will not be able to sustain notes very long.

Great answers!!!! Thanks so much for supporting your RYV brothers and sisters!!! :)