THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why The Voice Connection Board Rocks

Sorry for the thread bump, but this needs to be addressed:

Pram Maven was another clown on this board but he's been gone for a while thankfully

A lot of people got the wrong idea about my posting style from 2005-2011 and I've suffered a lot of grief for it. The fact is, it was a character/persona as part of a viral marketing campaign for a music project. The project doesn't really exist anymore and I've done a lot of introspection in the last few years, and I'm a much more mature poster these days with no goal or agenda other than to learn. I apologize for any disruption I might have caused while in character mode.

Good for you. While that may have been a persona, I am glad you've seen that you don't need to carry that over into a serious board on singing. While I know you, and knew you meant no harm, others didn't know you as well as I did. Regardless, welcome back:)

Thanks, Jaime.

There were two other boards where the impersonation was going on, so even when I gave up the shtick around 2007, someone was still carrying it on to make people think nothing had changed. In 2011 after the death of a close friend, I had a life-changing epitome with a bit of forum karma and public humiliation that scarlet-lettered me under my real name and made it clear that my trolling days were over. Shortly after that, I got a job as a video editor from a longtime friend on the strength of a music video demo and made enough to go to film school, studying with my childhood idols of animation.

It was like dying and being reborn again- every youthful and angsty wound that ever necessitated an angry persona was suddenly healed-deep, deep scars within - and a new purpose emerged: a desire to help, and teach, and manufacture something useful that creative people could benefit from. The music's still there, but it's not me anymore- it's something I can step away from and allow to be contained in its own universe. This transformative awakening has leaked into daily life outside of the internet and has been just amazing all the way around.

But, that's getting a bit off the subject of why The Voice Connection Board rocks. Well, for starters, it's a place where we can discuss singing ideas and actually get answers without feeling manipulated or targeted by advertising. Not many message boards like that. I'm glad this one is still around and recognize some of the names of experienced posters from other singing forums.

when i first set out to learn how to sing i created a singers group on myspace because there were none at the time. got a bunch of members but nobody talked. this board is definitely more active

Hey Mossman, what's that myspace address for that group?

I wish the big 260 would pay us a visit every once in a while.

I think it should be mandatory that Jim comes in once a month, that way we (or at least I) can get our (my) Gillette fix.

What's funny, is if you haven't met him - Jim Gillette is one of the nicest and funniest guys you will ever meet - he's a trip. I met him back in the early 90's. (The live performance on his "Vocal Power" video was shot just a couple of blocks from my house, at a club that was right on the beach facing the ocean - or as I call it "Lake Atlantic".)

Tim

http://groups.myspace.com/myspacesingers

did you go see Jim there?

Yeah. I'm in the crowd on that video somewhere.
At the time, those guys were my favorite band.

The guy who owned the club was a local bass player named Paul Bazzell (Jim G. had a funny nickname for Paul). Paul's dad was a country singer/songwriter, and an actor named Sorrells Pickard....anyway, Sorrells was in this movie called "Hard Bodies" and he sang this song with really nasty lyrics in the movie called "I don't **** fossils for free" (edited by me, but it had great alliteration. LOL), anybody who has seen the movie will remember him.
We all had a field day when we found out that Sorrells Pickard was Paul's Dad.

Tim

how was jim's voice live? so far of the singers i have heard live nobody has been able to match the power of rob halford and i would guess if anyone could it would be gillette

well the guy from the priest tribute xciter is pretty good too

Jim's voice was unbelievable live! you've got to keep in mind though - I saw them playing in a bar where I had played. The Sound system was good, but the acoustics in that place weren't the best.

When Guns 'N Roses first came out - I saw them. And Axl Rose sounded GREAT, but I know tons of guys who saw them later and they have all told me that whatever he had when they first came out he lost. It was probably the smoking and drinking that did him in.

On Jim's Vocal Power video he basically says "don't believe all that partying hard crap" that you can't do that and be a top singer, and I completely believe it.

I can smoke 4 or 5 cigarettes and my Break at the passagio is like a mile wide - I get nothing.... my cords just won't seal up correctly... Obviously I'm not one of "the lucky ones" who can do all that damaging crap and get away with it. So, I gave the cigarettes up... I'd rather be able to sing and have the range than smoke and not have it.

Tim

not to mention increased lung capacity and decreasing the risk of cancer too right? sides i hear cigs are $7 a pack. if you smoke a pack a week thats the price of 1 session with me as a personal trainer...and my sessions are GOOD for your health