THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mixed Voice, Belting and Kind of Distortion

Hello, I'm new here and just bought the "Raise your Voice" and "The Ultimate Work Out" to improve my voice. I'm reading the book but got some doubts so I would like a little help to pick the best exercises for my voice.

I developed my head voice, so I would like to know what are the best exercises to develop my mixed voice and also to learn Belting. My range is fine but my singing is too light yet as I want to sing big, deep and full. I would like to know the right exercises to bring my mixed, belting and full voice as there so many exercises that I would like to know the right ones for my specific case.

Also, I would like to know about what kind of distortion did Dio use to do? It was far from extreme death screaming, so I have no idea about the name you call his rasp vocals to learn better... grit, growl? I would appreciate the right name of his technique.

Re: Mixed Voice, Belting and Kind of Distortion

Carrie, first really read Raise Your Voice. All you're asking IS in the book;) I know you just bought it within hte last week. Youy mnust learnt eh three Isolatation exercises and start practicing them every day and they WILL work for what you want. As well, rasp is covered in Part IV or RYV.

Thank you, Jamie.

I would like buying your "Extreme Vocals" but there are two volumes of them, so I would like to know the specific name of Dio's distortion to buy the correct volume... is it a simple rasp, distortion or grit? I'm looking for your extremal vocal courses DVDs that's why I'm asking.

We're actually recording the "Dio distortion" volume of Extreme Scream as we speak. The first two are for deth and mid-range vocals, though ES2 will lead you towards that Dio sound.

Jaime
We're actually recording the "Dio distortion" volume of Extreme Scream as we speak. The first two are for deth and mid-range vocals, though ES2 will lead you towards that Dio sound.

Thank you so much! Awesome! I can't wait to have access to the new volume of Extreme Scream! I would love having it!