THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Developing stylistic knowledge

Hey you guys, what's up?

Decided to post a little question to ask your opinion on something. I'm incredibly curious and I find that other people's experience is a great way to develop a certain view about something, so please bear with me.

Being a Rock and Metal musician, but with more years developing metal playing, I foudn some backing tracks to try and sing some metal songs (Avantasia, Edguy, Helloween, Jorn Lande and such. But I was failling miserably. My voice was all over the place. Then I picked up some Rival Sons and could sing it more successfully. Still, I want to work on my metal singing. Have you guys ever encountered this? Not being able to sing the style that you wanted to?

Re: Developing stylistic knowledge

Rival sons is a really cool band. If I were you, I'd branch out and since you found a band like RS fits you better at the moment, sing your heart out on it. By allowing your voice to grow in different styles, any style that seems to fit your voice, you become a better singer. Then you can continue to sing Edguy or whatever metal band you like, but by incorporating other styles, you'll find your voice will start to grow stronger. I like singing old Prince tunes, Lorde, Rob Thomas, Jeff Buckley, etc., and I find it makes singing Badlands, Aerosmith, etc. even easier. So happy you discovered this on your own!

Thank you so much Jaime!!
Been doin' that today it's working out great. As soon as I can I will submit a new song.
I'm all for singing various styles of music. Right now I'm braving a lot of new territory at once. I've always resigned myself to medium-low registers and it's like a whole new world of possibilities. I've played in an acoustic duet, and we covered a lot of songs in bars and I always did the low voices. Now I can do some of the other stuff as well. Now I'm trying to do what you said, when I cover a song, I try to give a hint of the style of the singer, but without trying to reproduce the singers voice.

I'm actually doing a similar project right now. My guitarist and I, an acoustic and a voice on a HUGE variety of songs. It makes you a better singer!