THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Larynx issues

Hello everyone !
I have a huge problem with my larynx, whenever i sing higher than D5 or E5 it raises so much it causes strain. I tried the bullfrog exercise, and I'd like to know how much time it would take to see some results ?

Also if you have other effective exercises for lowering the larynx, please post them !

Thanks !

Re: Larynx issues

Hey Rocker!

Raising my larynx used to be an issue for me as well, but one exercise that worked wonders for me is singing "Buh, buh, buh" with a dumb or dopey tone to a scale.

When singing "buh", the vowel should sound like "uh" in the word "book," not "uh" as in "buck." One of the reasons for strain is singing a certain vowel incorrectly. For example, singing "buck" will close off the throat and raise the larynx as you get higher. "Book" allows you to keep the throat open and the larynx neutral as you go higher.

Another reason for strain can be tension in the throat and jaw. A tip for relaxing the throat is when you sing "buh" up a scale, make sure that the "b" is not making an explosive popping sound. If it's coming out like "bup bup bup," it's too tense. Instead, allow the lips to slightly touch, making a soft "b" sound, like "buh buh buh". As you go up the scale, allow the voice to go where it wants. If you sense your voice telling you that you are singing too hard or with too much weight, back off on the pressure and sing the note lighter (but not airy or weak).

I hope this helps, and good luck! :)