THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Singing very high notes without whistle (C6 up)

When I get to C6, I won't say I hit a wall but I have to adjust my technique. What I mean by adjust is my B5 is the same as say my D5, but to sing C6-D6 I have to add even more support, and notice that my tongue comes up slightly (meaning when I want to keep my tongue low and along the gum line of my bottom teeth I can do that up to B5), and it's more like a push up to those notes.

The best way I can describe this is if you tried to throw a ball/throw a punch the absolute hardest you can, and your technique isn't going to be perfectly controlled but it's not like a complete technique breakdown.

I guess I'm wondering if I should try to sing C6-D6 more "relaxed" and just accept that I don't actually "have" those notes until I can do those with 100% consistency, and guarantee I have that top end each time I practice (said B5 is the only guarantee, I'd say I have C6-D6 about 70-80% of the time). Or because I'm very near, if not at, the limit for singing high without whistle is it accepted that those notes would be really tough and require a lot of support and maybe some breakdown of technique? I guess another way to describe what I'm trying to say here is that if I was just beginning out, I might be able to sing a C5 somedays but it'd be kind of forced, or I wouldn't consider that a "true" note for me. Eventually after enough practice I might be able to now sing the C5 correctly, but the D5 is now the "Forced" note. This would continue. However, since there's really nowhere else to go without whistle at C6-D6, does this logic still apply or will those notes never get "easy" because they're always going to be the end range?

Thanks.

Re: Singing very high notes without whistle (C6 up)

Hiya!
You kinda hit the nail on the head. The reason your tongue is doing that is because you're narrowing your vocal tract (throat, etc) so much in an effort to "squeeze" the note out that you're extending the squeeze/push up through your "instrument" and into your tongue.

I find that generally anything in the 6's is going to require at least a basic comprehension of whistle tones. All a whistle tone is, is exactly what it sounds like! When you whistle with your lips it's a balance of the position of your lips, the air flow, and the resonance created in your mouth (which is why you can use your tongue to change the notes you are whistling) A SINGING whistle tone is essentially the same thing, it's a balance of how closed/tight your chord is, airflow and upper resonance cavities.

But what does it all mean Bazzle??? How can I whistle??

Well, lets start by dropping the jaw nice and loose-like and pretending we are going to say the letter "A". We hear/feel at the very beginning of the consonant a little "pop", we can feel our chords making a little "kiss". Now comes the imagery. Pretend your chords ARE little lips, relax and pucker up - JUST the chord, not the muscles under it, don't squeese in your thoat above them - focus on the cord, the larynx should still be relaxed, now lets say that "A" (as in Aye or "Long A") again, nice and light and sustain it. Now add a little more support - The jaw should still be open and relaxed, the throat and larynx should still be nice and relaxed - we're feeling NO tension except the Kiss in out chord. Now, as you increase the air pressure and get to a comfortable volume just hold it out there - nice and free.

At this point your probably thinking :but I sound like someone stepped on a mouse!" Now here comes the best part - Open your mouth into a dropped jaw with a smile, lift your palate and open the back of your throat. This adds resonance back in to the weak "mousey tone".

You can also come into it with a quick "h". As you figure out the different balance combinations for the differnt vowels - don't be afraid to modify!

When Jaime speaks of "zipping the cord" the whistle can be thought of as that last little tiny opening before you close the chord - the last little pucker of the "lips". Just remember to balance out the added air pressure with more support of the chord, if the balance is off you will get the same spatter, choppy nothingness you get when you aren't balanced right in a regular whistle.

GL!

Sorry for not getting back to you but THANK YOU for the big post on using whistle!!

I can't wait to try it out myself haha

The thing is C6's and D6's is very very rarely used by even the highest rocktenors. So i dont think focus should be on that, sure play around with it experiment with whistle it's cool.
Whats more important is focusing on getting a cool sound on the C4-C5 after that work on getting awesome on the C5-G5, here there Will still be "singing" going on and not screech effect notes(wich indeed are cool but in the end not something to worry about)

Up around A5-C6's for most males you Will just feel the supportvalue scale like crazy for every halfstep up you take your voice, IF you Imagine yourself surfing around on easy C6's your timbre Will most likely be very hooty soft falsetto bordering on whistle register.

Hope this helps cheers :)