THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Okay guys, I'm sick of hearing this

Though his technique isn't the best, his voice is undeniably flexible, and he even has some extremely impressive melodies under his belt. St. Valentine features a chesty melody around B4-D5, and is very well controlled, not just random shouting. And his connected modal range is G#1-B5. That's definitely more than 2.5 octaves of significant notes (not counting his D6 or random fry dips). If you don't like him, fair enough, but you horribly underselling him. Also, not drinking water on stage isn't bad, Mike Patton doesn't do it often, and is an extremely technically proficienct vocalist, who pulls of almost every single preformance he does. I don't see how not drinking water on stage is being used against Valo, but whatever.

If you want to sing along with someone that has good technique all around. Geoff Tate has excellent High and low

Geoff Tate is the man! Queensryche WHOO!

Sorry, i'm easily excited. Another good high and low singer is Michael Matijevic, but only on certain songs does he go low. Like Loaded mutha and Say no more. Also keep in mind that MID range is the hard one. The transition notes between pure head and chest voice, for guys its usually F-B. A couple good singers to practice that area are Bruce Dickinson, Steve Perry, and Jon Bon Jovi. Chest voice is simple, Head voice above Tenor C is just a matter of keeping your placement and resonance strong, its that mid range area that is the killer. Thats why I am often more impressed with people with a strong mid range, not so much by people who can make dramatic jumps from below E above middle C to above tenor C.

I completely agree ^^^. Myself included when my voice is very worn out I can hit the low notes and the high note but the mid notes are almost non-existent. If I had to guess i figure its because its harder to hold your vocal folds close together(mid range) as opposed to far apart or zipping them.

Jaime says its because its right above your break point so putting it into pure head sounds really weak since you just came out of chest, so the idea is to keep the resonance in both. THAT is why its hard because you have to teach yourself to remain very resonant in that area without straining or pulling chest. Getting those notes isn't really the hard part, its keeping those notes strong, cause there is so much resonance, you've got to have it from you chest up to your head which means you have to have resonance in the throat without having the sound stuck in your throat. It can be extremely difficult. Lucky for us there are excersises like the siren which will help us bridge and connect so that break doesn't happen and the higher notes will get stronger. Really after you get to tenor C using the siren it should start getting alot easier to build those notes up. The falsetto slide is already helping me alot. Yesterday I went up a full note without pushing. There are alot of people in my house that are really not looking forward to me starting the siren week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-2pjM1fdAs

this is what ye needed XD