THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shaun Morgan's Style

What do you mean by "which technique"?

You have to build the instrument first, and you do that via vocalizing/ voice training.... otherwise it is like trying to play a violin while it's still a block of wood. You have to build the strength, build the muscle coordination, and develop complete control of your breath. If you are getting hoarse doing this, you simply aren't there yet. A lot of these techniques can be damaging for the UNTRAINED Voice. If you are doing it and having issues, you are either doing it wrong, or you aren't ready to tackle it.

Think of it this way:

You have a bodybuilder who dead lifts 250lbs, 30 times, every other day.

Then you have some guy who sits on the couch eating Dorito's, drinking cokes, and playing games on PS3 every day.

Which one do you think is going to easily be able to pick up a speaker cabinet that weighs 150lb without any negative side effects?

That is the real difference between somebody who trains vocally 6 days a week, and somebody who doesn't.

Take the song "Broken". It sounds like he is holding back the breath, slight glottal compression (Think singing down into the body - like you are holding back the voice and breath.)
He doesn't sound to me that he is singing with an open throat, and he's not aiming the voice into the pocket. So, probably just SLS like almost every other guy on the radio. Most of the "Corporate Rock" (bands with big money behind them) singers don't sing with an open throat, they tend to use more SLS.
He's got a good sound. I'm not knocking SLS, but to me - SLS is HALF of what you need to be able to do. It is like.. you learn how to make the sounds, but you don't build up the muscles enough to be able to keep from damaging your instrument, while Open Throat/Bel Canto based training creates the physical instrument.

If that makes sense.

Tim

Re: Shaun Morgan's Style

Thanks a lot for the reply! :) By the way he didnt get any vocal lessons as far as I know and he probably doesnt know anything about SLS lol :)